Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Old 10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
fffmonkey1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

it's impossible to adjust the steering running straight with stock servo and suspension. I tried a lot of time but not successfully, but after replace the stock servo and suspension, it's running straight!
Old 10-31-2011, 06:24 PM
nitro-rob

I was running hard on 2s tonight and use a hitec 5685 and it did torque steer a little bit but not enough to impede driving or cause problems.  I'm permanently switching to the dirt works tires.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:20 PM
fb5b

Seems to me the stock ESC isn't bad on 2s, on 3s the problems happen, but the Sidewinder SCT combo was sold as not suitable for 3s, so not sure why the same ESC would suddenly be able to handle 3s with a less efficient motor (and more amp hungry at that)

....oh wait some of you still believe it's a rebadged MMP...... righteo and Darryl Dawkins really IS from the planet Lovetron!

I've swapped out the 4000kv HPI motor for a Castle SCT 3800kv motor, which does run cooler (the HPI has cheaper fridge spec magnets)

Also have put in a MKS DS1210 Servo (very underrated and it's waterproof) which made a huge difference (Digital, Titanium geared, 12kg torque etc)

Might try a VXL esc on it, the VXL rev limiter "shouldn't" kick in on 2s even if it is reading it as a 2 pole motor spinning at twice the rpm.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 PM
hereticgod
My Feedback: (9)

Someone else posted the hobbyshop put in a vxl after the stock esc went and he said it blew up after 2 speed runs. Just saying.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 PM
nitro-rob

I do believe its a new product that is meant to fit models sized between stadium trucks and monster trucks.  The vapor is too light for SCTs and the flux.  I bet it will appear in more models in time.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 AM
spena

In regards to esc + motor combo, Squirrelfrom thetoyz forum put in Tekin Pro4 4 pol motor with the RX8 esc on his XS project:
see more here: http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?showtopic=48519

I just ordered myTBR front and rear bumper combo, cant wait to get it
Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Ptec

Thats an expensive combo. Idont feel like forking out that much for a 300 dollar truck. The Mamba Max Pro and Stock motor run perfectly fine. Idont think you need a 400 dollar motor+ESCsetup.

ORIGINAL: spena

In regards to esc + motor combo, Squirrelfrom thetoyz forum put in Tekin Pro4 4 pol motor with the RX8 esc on his XS project:
see more here: http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?showtopic=48519

I just ordered myTBR front and rear bumper combo, cant wait to get it
Old 11-01-2011, 09:48 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Ptec

Thats an expensive combo. I dont feel like forking out that much for a 300 dollar truck. The Mamba Max Pro and Stock motor run perfectly fine. I dont think you need a 400 dollar motor+ESC setup.
Nobody NEEDS it...
Old 11-01-2011, 12:08 PM
nitro-rob

Overkill but if he can afford it, go for it I say.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 PM
hereticgod

I ran a 3s on the xs today but after 5 min the power dropped way down the tires seemed to be spinning fast still but only going at half speed. Waited a few minutes tried a second pack worked fine again then around 5 min same thing. Checked esc (older mamba max) not in low voltage or thermal. I was using 25c 3300 gens ace packs. Any ideas what the problem could be. Underpowered batteries maybe?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

ORIGINAL: hereticgod

I ran a 3s on the xs today but after 5 min the power dropped way down the tires seemed to be spinning fast still but only going at half speed. Waited a few minutes tried a second pack worked fine again then around 5 min same thing. Checked esc (older mamba max) not in low voltage or thermal. I was using 25c 3300 gens ace packs. Any ideas what the problem could be. Underpowered batteries maybe?
Definitely sounds like the culprit
for a 3300mah pack should be around 70C I believe. 5000mah at 40C is good.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM
fb5b

Thats one thing I hate about Squirrel (as well as his long winded vids) some of his ideas are nonsensical but people take it as gospel, personally I found the hard way that neither squirrel or "the toyz" webstore are honest or nice people to deal with.

The Flux XS is fine in stock form on 2s, on 3s it'd probably be ok if we could gear it down some, but HPI in their wisdom haven't released the option spur yet so people are running 3s at the gear ratio that pushes the friendship even on 2s, and on 3s is just stupid, and then things fail. The motor obviously has some short cuts from the 1410 3800kv castle on which it's based simply to cut costs, which are more obvious than they otherwise would be with the truck being geared to the moon in stock form.

If someone is paying $300 for an RTR, I don't think they should have to throw another $400 at it, especially not for a Mini!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:15 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: fb5b

Thats one thing I hate about Squirrel (as well as his long winded vids) some of his ideas are nonsensical but people take it as gospel, personally I found the hard way that neither squirrel or ''the toyz'' webstore are honest or nice people to deal with.

The Flux XS is fine in stock form on 2s, on 3s it'd probably be ok if we could gear it down some, but HPI in their wisdom haven't released the option spur yet so people are running 3s at the gear ratio that pushes the friendship even on 2s, and on 3s is just stupid, and then things fail. The motor obviously has some short cuts from the 1410 3800kv castle on which it's based simply to cut costs, which are more obvious than they otherwise would be with the truck being geared to the moon in stock form.

If someone is paying $300 for an RTR, I don't think they should have to throw another $400 at it, especially not for a Mini!
Sorry, but you're wrong. Just wrong.

You don't need to spend $400 on this truck. A $40 servo will do just fine in it, the ESC is dandy ITBJHO, the motor is good enough for what it is, and this truck is not a mini, regardless of what anybody says.

This truck uses standard 1/10 running gear, has 2.2" wheels...

It is bigger than a 1/10 2wd buggy, uses the same size motors and servos, and can even fit BIGGER speed controls, and weighs another TWO POUNDS over what a standard 1/10 2wd buggy weighs.

So, what part of that is mini?

It's a Mini Savage, but Savages are huge. That's like saying ThunderbirdJunkie is a midget and Dwayne Johnson is normal sized.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:48 PM
fb5b

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Thats one thing I hate about Squirrel (as well as his long winded vids) some of his ideas are nonsensical but people take it as gospel, personally I found the hard way that neither squirrel or ''the toyz'' webstore are honest or nice people to deal with.

You don't need to spend $400 on this truck. A $40 servo will do just fine in it, the ESC is dandy ITBJHO, the motor is good enough for what it is, and this truck is not a mini, regardless of what anybody says.

This truck uses standard 1/10 running gear, has 2.2'' wheels...

It is bigger than a 1/10 2wd buggy, uses the same size motors and servos, and can even fit BIGGER speed controls, and weighs another TWO POUNDS over what a standard 1/10 2wd buggy weighs.

It's a Mini Savage, but Savages are huge. That's like saying ThunderbirdJunkie is a midget and Dwayne Johnson is normal sized.
Didn't you say that the ESC was a rebadged MMP and that it had an external BEC as well? (When it's just a Sidewinder SV2 and a receiver powered fan slapped on top)

I'd love to argue the point with you, but you obviously have a mod or 3 in your pocket so I won't bother wasting my time but to say if people want to take your advise as gospel, well, more fool them.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

This truck uses standard 1/10 running gear, has 2.2'' wheels...

Didn't you say that the ESC was a rebadged MMP and that it had an external BEC as well? (When it's just a Sidewinder SV2 and a receiver powered fan slapped on top)

I'd love to argue the point with you, but you obviously have a mod or 3 in your pocket so I won't bother wasting my time but to say if people want to take your advise as gospel, well, more fool them.
No, ThunderbirdJunkie wondered aloud if the extra plug was for Castle's external BEC that was integrated into the ESC, rather than having an internal BEC. Again, ThunderbirdJunkie had not disassembled the ESC to explore it, as he stated before, and he's not going to claim he's never been wrong.

Please, argue with ThunderbirdJunkie. He does not have mods in his pocket, nor does he need them. You don't need to insult people when you argue with them.

The truck weighs five freaking pounds...that's more than a 1/10 4wd buggy fully dressed and caked in dirt...and it's bigger than a 1/10 buggy. These facts and the fact that the truck uses standard 1/10 scale fare to run it should tell you immediately that it is not a mini.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
hereticgod

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: hereticgod

Definitely sounds like the culprit
for a 3300mah pack should be around 70C I believe. 5000mah at 40C is good.
Turns out it wasn't the batteries my slipper nut had come loose.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:08 PM
nitro-rob

I agree with TBJ here. The truck in stock form needs a servo and its fine for people who want RTR and its not set up for intermediate or advanced users out of the box. Most people are running it as is so why build it for the minority when the majority don't know of or care about the difference? People expecting a 300 dollar truck to run like a 600 dollar one are fooling themselves. If you want a 600 dollar savage XS, you have to throw another 300 into it. Squirrel was right - ditch the electronics, learn how to work on it and all is well.
HPI did a good job of covering the RTR crowd as well as make the experienced crowd like it enough to buy it and modify it. I think the truck is positioned pretty well for them (despite what I think are some production flaws in the early ESCs).
The stock gearing has been perfect for the SCT/MMP. I don't expect to change it.
Its essentially 1/10. I compared it to a savage X and XL and its 2/3 the size which works out to be about 1/12 scale. Compared to the mini revo series its definitely built like a 1/10,
Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 PM
rokie1432

it's almost (if not same) the same size as the 1/16 summit....only the summit is much lighter....

i have no problems running it stock on 2S....and doing backflips over a home-made ramp....nothing has yet been broken, but i'm sure there will be in time to come....but it's a great truck RTR out of the box...you cant complain for that price.....you pay the same for a mini revo isnt it?....and half the world is making mods to a mini revo!....
Old 11-03-2011, 04:25 PM
needforspeed95

I am new to the brushless world and was wondering if this would be a good first truck.  I have a nitro, so I am not completely new to rc.  Would this battery fit and have enough power for this truck?  http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl4400...-hardcase.html.  I don't have any other 2s lipos, so what runtimes do you think I would get so I know how many batteries to order.  Thanks for the help. 
Old 11-03-2011, 05:33 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: needforspeed95

I am new to the brushless world and was wondering if this would be a good first truck. I have a nitro, so I am not completely new to rc. Would this battery fit and have enough power for this truck? http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl4400...-hardcase.html. I don't have any other 2s lipos, so what runtimes do you think I would get so I know how many batteries to order. Thanks for the help.
Here are the dimensions of the battery box on the XS 143mm long x 47mm deep x 31mm tall

Old 11-03-2011, 07:18 PM
nitro-rob

needforspeed - I recommend you reading through the last 20 pages of so of the thread to see if its a good first truck.  There is a lot of information in here and a lot of opinions have been given.  The electronics get pooped on a lot by people but there is a consensus that it has a very tough chassis.  
I can tell you that with modifications like replacing the electronics, tires, etc.. that it is a great little beast.  I don't run the stock electronics so an opinion is out of place here.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:22 PM
trickle007

Will These fit in the XS? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 11-03-2011, 08:31 PM
rokie1432

ORIGINAL: trickle007

yes, the dimension seem to fit what was mentioned earlier....

Old 11-04-2011, 05:34 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: trickle007

Here this might answer your question...

Here are the dimensions of the battery box on the XS 143mm long x 47mm deep x 31mm tall
Old 11-04-2011, 06:17 AM
needforspeed95

Thanks for the dimensions.
What kind of run times are people getting so I know how many batteries to buy?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.