Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Ptec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

ORIGINAL: needforspeed95

Thanks for the dimensions.
What kind of run times are people getting so I know how many batteries to buy?
20-30 minutes off my 4000 mah. Idont rip it wide open the hole time though.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:13 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: needforspeed95

Thanks for the dimensions.
What kind of run times are people getting so I know how many batteries to buy?
I get anywhere from 30-45 minutes of run time, it all depends how much you are on the throttle. I have a total of 11 lipos that I could use but honestly after about 45 minutes of bashing I have to take a break.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:18 AM
carranza

Hey guys. Im really considering one if these xs savages. Thus will be my first electric but already own a savage ss nitro. I was hoping someone can recommend some decent batterys and a decent charger. Id like to keep it cheaper but don't want to skimp on quality. There are so many options it gets confusing. Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: carranza

Hey guys. Im really considering one if these xs savages. Thus will be my first electric but already own a savage ss nitro. I was hoping someone can recommend some decent batterys and a decent charger. Id like to keep it cheaper but don't want to skimp on quality. There are so many options it gets confusing. Thanks for any advice.
If you take the time and ready back through the posts you will find the information about "cheap" batteries and "cheap" chargers..
Old 11-04-2011, 07:39 AM
spena

ORIGINAL: carranza

As mentioned above the turnigy 52000mah 2s is the best value and quality you can get for the price (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
) you need to solder deans connection on it tho
as for the charger the Duratrax Onyx 235 is a good entry level charger with balancing.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
trickle007

Thanks T9 for the dimensions you posted. This is huge for me because I all ready own 2 of the turngy 2c 5200mah packs that I run my Vorza on. From the dimensions you posted it looks like my 5200mah batts will just fit.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: trickle007

Thanks T9 for the dimensions you posted. This is huge for me because I all ready own 2 of the turngy 2c 5200mah packs that I run my Vorza on. From the dimensions you posted it looks like my 5200mah batts will just fit.
Your welcome....
Old 11-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Yokota23

Well after reading through all the comments, researching, pricing out part/truck sources, and strictly giving myself a 600 dollar limit, I ordered up my Savage XS with a Pro4 Rx8 combo and using my old Baja 5T radio/servo (3pm) to completely swap out the electronics. Going to also use a pair of cvds only for the front steering blocks. I have to commend Squirrel for all the essential information that I needed for this project. I owned a Savage Flux, and have a good belief that this truck will be half the price and equally fun. Joining the Military so I don't want to invest too much into another RC. Finally got rid of all my toys and getting out of the 5th scale world until I finish my service. So, while I'm on my travels, my trusty XS will join me. I will get pics posted, but I figure after I sell all the stock electronics I'll have about 500 invested. Can't wait to work on it and see it fly. So many plans, so many epic plans...
-Mr. Wood
Old 11-04-2011, 07:58 PM
hereticgod
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Yokota23

Well after reading through all the comments, researching, pricing out part/truck sources, and strictly giving myself a 600 dollar limit, I ordered up my Savage XS with a Pro4 Rx8 combo and using my old Baja 5T radio/servo (3pm) to completely swap out the electronics. Going to also use a pair of cvds only for the front steering blocks. I have to commend Squirrel for all the essential information that I needed for this project. I owned a Savage Flux, and have a good belief that this truck will be half the price and equally fun. Joining the Military so I don't want to invest too much into another RC. Finally got rid of all my toys and getting out of the 5th scale world until I finish my service. So, while I'm on my travels, my trusty XS will join me. I will get pics posted, but I figure after I sell all the stock electronics I'll have about 500 invested. Can't wait to work on it and see it fly. So many plans, so many epic plans...
-Mr. Wood
You will love it it is a great little truck once you work the kinks out.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Ptec

Do you think this Vapor Pro will run ok in a Blitz? I already put the MMP in my XS and now the Vapor Pro is extra and I want to convert my blitz to brushless. Think its worth it? Its 2wd and lighter.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 AM
t9dragon

-Mr. Wood
The RX8 is for use in 1/8 vehicles. It might not fit in the XS.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:39 AM
hereticgod

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

-Mr. Wood
Squirrel fit a pro4 on the xs.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:51 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: hereticgod

-Mr. Wood
Who cares what he did..................
Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

-Mr. Wood
A Pro4 is a standard 540 sized motor.

The RX8, though, really isn't much bigger than a Sidewinder. If it were the size of an MMM, ThunderbirdJunkie would agree with T9.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:46 PM
hereticgod

-Mr. Wood
Well it fits as someone has already done it so....ya
Old 11-05-2011, 02:10 PM
t9dragon

-Mr. Wood
Well it fits as someone has already done it so....ya
Why don't you go back and read my post, I said, "The RX8 is for use in 1/8 vehicles. It might not fit in the XS." I never said the PRO4 wouldn't fit.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:26 PM
needforspeed95

I've decided that I am going to get this as my first brushless truck.  It seems to be a great little truck that won't be too expensive.  Does anyone have a $75 off $300 tower hobbies coupon code so I can order this thing?
Old 11-06-2011, 12:41 AM
fb5b

I'm getting an appreciation as to how bad the stock motor is (effects of cheaping out of the magnets)

I threw the 4000kv motor in my Hyper 10SC geared for 30mph (racing)

My Q Base ESC fan came on after 3 minutes, which seemed odd, pulled the data logs, 150 Amps!

So I put my SCT 3800 motor in the Flux XS, given I was getting 154 Amps with the ESC dialed down on the stock motor I figured this would tell me the cause, I set it back to default and went for a run (also upgraded the Servo)

...max draw was 115 amps, same gearing, same pack etc and was notably cooler

Conclusion? The HPI 4000kv motor in the Flux XS is seriously cheaped out, cheaper magnets ups the KV but drastically reduces efficiency, and this follows down the line and puts extra stress on the ESC and Batteries.

Might throw a VXL Motor in next see how that holds up.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 AM
SFC K

I just finished reading all 60 pages and I am glad I did. There were some humorous points too. I plan on ordering one soon now that I have the info needed to proceed. I believe my 2s Turnigy 5000mah packs will fit with measurements really close to the max measurements given. Length for me is 142 not including the wires that come out of the corner which increase the width to 52 at the wires but the case is a whole mm narrower than the 47 max width allowed. Height is not even an issue. If they don’t fit HK is an order away…
Thanks for all the great info!
Old 11-06-2011, 03:09 PM
nitro-rob

SFCK you are a rare breed - you ACTUALLY read the forum before posting. Thank you. Welcome.

FB5B, that is very interesting and thanks for testing that out. Such a difference. I will likely sell the stock setup in my blitz. I have less interest in this esc and motor combo than ever now.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Yokota23

I will make the RX8 fit, and water proof everything to make sure I can throw this in a lake if I have to. Anyway, I did read through all the pointers, and that Squirrel character managed to help me with a lot in my decision to order and upgrade my minixs as I have done. I still won't have this truck until Thursday, but all the parts and upgraded that I can get are in their way. I will have this thing swimming in mud and slush in no time. I just hope the rain that we've been having will keep up until next weekend.

-Mr. Wood
Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 PM
rokie1432

SFC - you might have to cut out abit of the battery box ends so those fat 8AWG cables can come out....i did that on mine too....
Old 11-06-2011, 07:19 PM
nitro-rob

I broke my first part today while jumping the truck.  Shock bottom broke.  There are spares in the parts bag.  It blew the front wheels off the beads today driving on 3s in the grass at the park.  Temps were good.

The amperage data is consistent with how cool my SCT/mmp setup has been running.  
Old 11-06-2011, 10:19 PM
SFC K

ORIGINAL: nitro-rob

SFCK you are a rare breed - you ACTUALLY read the forum before posting. Thank you. Welcome.
Thanks! I’m no Rookie to the forums. I just wish others would do the same as I do. 60 pages on a product that was just released means that someone has asked the questions. I also like to do a little research before I make the plunge in a purchase. Google is so my friend too as with the forums.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 AM
paba60
My Feedback: (96)

ORIGINAL: fb5b

Conclusion? The HPI 4000kv motor in the Flux XS is seriously cheaped out, cheaper magnets ups the KV but drastically reduces efficiency, and this follows down the line and puts extra stress on the ESC and Batteries.

Might throw a VXL Motor in next see how that holds up.
Interested in the data log for the VXL motor....Please post your results if you run that test. In the interim....I'll be on the hunt for a 3800 motor...

Also, one point of clarification....you we're running the QBase (MMP) in the XS with the 3800 or the Vapor Pro...when you pulled 115A??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.