Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Old 05-21-2013, 12:15 PM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: mudfrog

Got the spacers in and adjusted my shocks to 1/4 - 1/2 spring. The shocks seem a lot better. Unfortunately one of the axle cups split in two so I was only able to run for about 2 minutes. I'm getting irritated by this little truck. Now to decide if I want to stock up on the stock ones or invest in some hardened steels.
I wouldn't get irritated by the truck. Parts break, it's part of the hobby. You have to remember, the stresses are far greater in this truck since a 1/10 brushless system was installed. HPI has compensated for this throughout the truck, but you can only make things so durable. I have only split one drive cup as well. If you read the manual, it says to repair any worn drive cups, as they may break randomly. Yours had some wear as well as mine. You could also get CVD's to get rid of the dog bone/drive cup.
imo that's a cop-out attitude when you look at other cars in the same ish scale thinking like that will never get a company to fix a products issues. i replaced my XS with a crt.5 and ive bronken a few things(my fault) but ive had zero drive line problems unlike the XS and there damn near the same size. and lets remember what crt.5 sold for $80 bucks

Old 05-21-2013, 01:13 PM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well we all know the drivelines have issues. I guess its just getting lucky with which XS you get? This isn't directed at mudfrog, but there are the people that piss and moan about how an RC is crap and everything is always breaking and it won't stay running. come to find out, thos epeople have stuffed as many volts possible into it and just beat the snot out of it. In a sense, "you can only make things so durable" is kinda true.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:54 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I will say this about my 3 XS's, they are awesome and yes there are a few issues here and there with them but what RC doesn't have issues.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 PM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Well I will say this about my 3 XS's, they are awesome and yes there are a few issues here and there with them but what RC doesn't have issues.
None, they all do. Hard to put that much power to the ground and not have parts give out....
Old 05-21-2013, 04:59 PM
echthelion

of course all cars have there flaws but my point being if another company can make solid cups why not hpi. my main reason for selling my xs was the drive line problems im sure its alot like cummins said its down to luck. but with me in 10 or so packs cant remember i had my slipper go my pinion went and took my idler with it and 2 of my center cups went. all on 2s with the castle 3800kv motor and the crap stock tires and we all know have very little grip. i was very happy with the plastic strength just not the metals but in the end we all have our own opinions
Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 PM
redfisher1974

To each his own...
Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: echthelion

of course all cars have there flaws but my point being if another company can make solid cups why not hpi. my main reason for selling my xs was the drive line problems im sure its alot like cummins said its down to luck. but with me in 10 or so packs cant remember i had my slipper go my pinion went and took my idler with it and 2 of my center cups went. all on 2s with the castle 3800kv motor and the crap stock tires and we all know have very little grip. i was very happy with the plastic strength just not the metals but in the end we all have our own opinions
Then I must be in the lucky group because all 3 of my XS's haven't had any issue with the drivetrain like you have described..
Old 05-22-2013, 04:54 AM
mudfrog

Well we all know the drivelines have issues. I guess its just getting lucky with which XS you get? This isn't directed at mudfrog, but there are the people that piss and moan about how an RC is crap and everything is always breaking and it won't stay running. come to find out, thos epeople have stuffed as many volts possible into it and just beat the snot out of it. In a sense, "you can only make things so durable" is kinda true.
Ionly run 2S25c so it' can't be about me

I'm building this thing to jump so I'm probably harder on it then some people, I guess I'm just used to my durability of my Savage X.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:00 AM
mudfrog

So what wheels would I need to order for this thing.  I know it includes some adapters but I want to make sure I can run what I order. I'm looking at the premounted trencher / desperado's but most of those list traxxas vehicles and there are several different wheel types.

So which should I go with?

Also what tooth gearing should I go to?  They recommend lowering they gear with a larger tire.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:07 AM
cumminspower5.9

So what wheels would I need to order for this thing. I know it includes some adapters but I want to make sure I can run what I order. I'm looking at the premounted trencher / desperado's but most of those list traxxas vehicles and there are several different wheel types.

Also what tooth gearing should I go to? They recommend lowering they gear with a larger tire.
I have a set of HPI Monster SS rims with the Proline Badlands 2.2" tires. The black looks real nice on the truck. If you geta 2.2" tires, it will fir these rims. Oh an gearing, I would maybe go down about two teeth. I never changed my pinion, but I can say the motor does get pretty warm, but not enough to break the motor or overheat it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20727.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1884206  
Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 AM
mudfrog

So what wheels would I need to order for this thing. I know it includes some adapters but I want to make sure I can run what I order. I'm looking at the premounted trencher / desperado's but most of those list traxxas vehicles and there are several different wheel types.

Also what tooth gearing should I go to? They recommend lowering they gear with a larger tire.
I have a set of HPI Monster SS rims with the Proline Badlands 2.2" tires. The black looks real nice on the truck. If you geta 2.2" tires, it will fir these rims. Oh an gearing, I would maybe go down about two teeth. I never changed my pinion, but I can say the motor does get pretty warm, but not enough to break the motor or overheat it.
That looks good and Ithought about going with the 2.2 Badlands but Istill do a bit of street driving, Ihear they wear quick on the street. What is the factory tooth count, 26?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 AM
cumminspower5.9

I have had these tires on my XS for over a year now, and they have very very little wear. I do speed runs with my XS as well. They have great all around traction, and have very minimal wear. I'm not sure on the stock pinion tooth count tho.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM
mudfrog

Just ordered a set of the 2.2 Badlands, some wheels, 24T pinion, 60T idler gear and HR hardened axles. Hopefully this will help it out a little.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 AM
cumminspower5.9

Nice. I have heard good reviews on the HR drive cups.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:27 AM
mudfrog

Ordered the Traxxas servo 2075, it's water proof and has about 3 times the torque so hopefully it will work pretty well.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:00 AM
mudfrog

Had to drop another $45 on this truck last night... Started taking it apart to get ready for my upgrades and found two broken drive cups and 3 bent / twisted dog bones. One of the dog bones tore the hub up so I had to order a replacement set. I'm assuming they dog bones twist / bend when the drive cups break so maybe they problem will not exist with the new HRcups.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:28 AM
mudfrog

New parts are trickling in.. received my HR drive cups, pinion, tires, wheels and slipper pads.  Just waiting on the new servo and idle gear.

The new meats..

Old 05-29-2013, 06:45 AM
echthelion

quick tip when i had my XS i got the HR cups for my center.  one of my diff ones had a small hairline crack at the pin hole so do a inspect before installing. my replacement was fine but im happy i saw it before i installed it lol
Old 06-01-2013, 03:16 AM
mudfrog

Spent a while working on the XS yesterday.  Installed an Integy 24t pinion, HR 60T Idler, HR drive cups, Traxxas Servo and the 2.2 Badlands.  This thing handles much much better.  It will now do a standing backflip and I can pull a wheelie at just about any speed.  The tires are narrow enough I can still fully open the battery door and I did not need to adjust the steering as they don't hit the battery box.

The next thing on my list is a fan for the motor.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:09 AM
valk_17

So I have read this entire thread over the last 2 weeks, and have been the proud owner of a gently used savage xs for 24 hours. Run a total of about an hour and a half of the most fun I've ever seen in a land rc Lucked up on some major ebay deals and have HR center cups, 60t spur and heat sink motor mount on the way, all of which will help with a slight overheating problem. Previous owner is sending me the receipt for the v2 flux reloaded esc he put in it last month, as on the third pack I ran it didn't beep the motor anymore. Still seems to run the car, but it will go for warranty anyway. Nothing negative to say about the truck so far, its a total beast
Old 07-17-2013, 01:43 AM
hyperscorpic

It's been really quiet....no one plays the savage XS anymore?
Old 07-17-2013, 04:04 AM
cumminspower5.9

Selling my XS. Don't have time for it anymore, plus I got an Ofna LX2e.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 AM
69Stang

Originally Posted by mudfrog
Spent a while working on the XS yesterday.* Installed an Integy 24t pinion, HR 60T Idler, HR drive cups, Traxxas Servo and the 2.2 Badlands.* This thing handles much much better.* It will now do a standing backflip and I can pull a wheelie at just about any speed.* The tires are narrow enough I can still fully open the battery door and I did not need to adjust the steering as they don't hit the battery box.

The next thing on my list is a fan for the motor.

How are you liking those tires? Are they the SC or all terrain? Does the 24T pinion help keep the motor cool? I have Masher 2000's from my NMT that I can put on my XS, but I'm afraid they might be to large for the XS and burn up the ESC.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
69Stang

Are these the Badlands everyone is running? TowerHobbies.com | Pro-Line Badlands 2.2" All-Terrain Truck Front/Rear (2)

Last edited by 69Stang; 08-08-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-08-2013, 06:00 AM
cumminspower5.9

Those tires would be it. They are pretty nasty on this truck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.