Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Official HPI Savage Flux XS thread...

Old 04-24-2014, 03:51 PM
jsflagstad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Castle Link installed it and I already had the latest firmware (1.39 beta). I manipulated all of the settings that I felt would affect the chattering issue and the only one that seemed to really help (but not totally eliminate it) was the throttle and brake curve. I had to get pretty aggressive (see the screen cap below) with the curves to get it to settle down the chattering so I guess we'll see how that affects the driving. I still think there's something wrong as I am running a good Dynamite Speedpack 5200mah 30c LiPo pack.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tcurve mod.JPG
Views:	1917
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1989669  
Old 04-26-2014, 03:46 PM
jsflagstad

Well, my ESC went up in smoke today! And it almost took my truck with it. Had it not been close to me when it smoked, it would have burned the truck to the ground. It started doing the usual antics again with the jerky motion and the cut out so I had to reset it. After the 3rd reset it took off jerky and went about 6 feet and out came the smoke and the horrid smell. I removed it from the truck and sent HPI an email. Have they been pretty good about warrantee on these? Haven't been real impressed with the QC on this truck so far, first the pinion was loose right out of the box, then this and it seems that every drive head on every one of the cheap fasteners strips when you attempt to remove them.

Thanks,

JSF
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	savage xs esc.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	712.7 KB
ID:	1990246   Click image for larger version

Views:	329
Size:	590.1 KB
ID:	1990247   Click image for larger version

Views:	1798
Size:	590.1 KB
ID:	1990248  

Last edited by jsflagstad; 04-26-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: picture
Old 04-26-2014, 04:46 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

this is why you never buy an RTR from HPI. there electronics are probably the worst in the industry.
when i was doing my research before buying my SS kit it seemed like 8 out of 10 complaints i read/herd about was that the ESC went up in smoke for no reason. it seems that even when functioning that damn thing would make a better paper weight.
what i would do is cut my losses, make them replace it. then just not use it. put a mamba max pro in it. that will solve your ESC problem permanently. then sell that good HPI unit on ebay or something. make a few dollars of your money back.

now for my issue.
does anybody know how to keep the slipper clutch from coming loose every 30 minutes of running? i kid you not, i can't go anymore than 2 packs without that damn thing loosening up. iv even tried blue loctiteing the stinking nut in place. 3 1/2 packs later it loosed up. i can't remember if there's enough thread available, but im thinking of double nutting it if i can.
anyone ever experience this problem?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:56 AM
jsflagstad

So it appears that the Mamba max pro has wire leads coming out of it. Do those leads pull out of the ESC so the Savage Flus XS motor leads can plug directly in so all the extra wire length isn't necessary? Also, it looks like for another $50-$60 you can get a new motor as well. Is this worth it? Or is the motor on the XS just as good?

I was looking at ESC's on the Hobby King site as well, any merit to those? What amp rating should I be looking for? It seems that HK is the only one that talks amp rating. I know I need a 1/10 scale ESC, but it seems that everything electrical should have amp ratings..

Thanks,

JSF
Old 04-27-2014, 08:32 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Hoolihan- The stock slipper is a cheap soft metal. I got a new one when mine started loosening, and used red loc-tite. Never any problems since then.

jsflagstad- as far as HPI goes with warranties, they are pretty good with them. When mine went, they sent me two by accident. loss on their end. as far as hobbyking esc's go, I don't have experience with those. I think people will usually go with 90amp plus rated speed controls.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:09 PM
suburban_hooligan

Originally Posted by jsflagstad
So it appears that the Mamba max pro has wire leads coming out of it. Do those leads pull out of the ESC so the Savage Flus XS motor leads can plug directly in so all the extra wire length isn't necessary? Also, it looks like for another $50-$60 you can get a new motor as well. Is this worth it? Or is the motor on the XS just as good?

JSF
the wires coming from the ESC just plug into the wires on the motor. if you want them shorter, just buy some connectors and shorten them the wires up. or be lazy like i was and just zip tie them out of harms way.

the stock motor, idk about quality. but power wise it should be plenty. iv seen video of them doing standing start backflips. i put a castle 3800kv 4 pole motor in my SS. i think the stock RTR motor is a 4000kv (?). close enough. if it's not giving you any problems id ago ahead and run the stock motor until i craps out.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:52 PM
cumminspower5.9

the stock motor in the XS IS plenty. I've never had any power issues. Sometimes I wish it had less just because it was so insane. I would use the stock motor like hooligan said. it's made by Castle anyway.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:04 AM
mudfrog

Hey guys, after two years my RTR ESC bit the dust. The motor is still strong so I'm not going to replace it. What is a good ESC to use with the stock motor? I'd prefer it to be waterproof but as long as I can waterproof it myself it would be ok. Would the Mamba Max Pro work well? I know it is not waterproof but I can do that.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:13 AM
mudfrog

There is a Hobbywing ESC that a lot of people is talking about. Going to give it a go.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:37 PM
RC-Junky

Hey guys, New to the site but not rc's. Yesterday my wife gave me a Savage xs for our anniversary saying it reminded her of when I first started out with the savage X 4.6. Anyways I'm loving this little guy but am having to take it easy since all I have is a 3s that fits it. So far I've had a blast but only use half throttle. Today I lost my rear and after tearing into it I found the grub to fall out of the tranny cup shaft. Tomorrow will grab a few new ones and loktite them in. Anything else I should cheack while there? Thanks guys
Old 06-17-2014, 03:18 PM
RC-Junky

After lots of reading and a few vids I have my LHS getting some parts on hand. Need to stock to problem parts so I can keep playing..lol Anyways I feel it's a great little truck and wanting to get a more racer set up. Looking into some rear buggy tires/wheels so if anyone has some that work let me know. Also thinking about the shocks. I've found the blitz rear work? RTR blitz or the ese? I would think the ESE would be a better set but should look before I check..
Old 07-06-2014, 03:06 AM
larkup25

Searched high and low for answer so I thought would ask here before starting another thread, I have xs flux ss with hobbywing ezrun 35a 9t combo, I have seen other flux's wheelie but mine doesn't. Should this combo be enough for it to wheelie? battery is turnigy 5.0 2s 40-50c I have read about the throttle delay, which mine has but all I could seem to find was to upgrade the esc's firmware (if I understand correctly). will this solve the problem, just doesn't seem to have the power like I have seen in other videos. new to electric rc but have run nitro's for 20 years so its all a bit new to me the electric side of rc.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:26 PM
larkup25

anybody?
Old 07-11-2014, 04:38 PM
cumminspower5.9

I'm not familiar with your brushless system, but check your slipper clutch. The pad might be shot. Mine was turned into a spongy paper running all thru the tranny after a while. New pad, new grip action.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:47 PM
suburban_hooligan

could just be the motor. is it a 4 pole motor? im not really up to par on the whole "pole" thing but i was told to run a 4 pole motor in mine for the torque. so if it's not a 4 pole motor it could just be lacking the torque to do wheelies.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:48 PM
larkup25

Thanks for replies guys,
@cumminspower5.9, I had checked the slipper last time I had the gear box out and had it pretty tight, the truck is new so I don.t think its that. It seems to hook up ok and seems to have good power just not as much as I expected.
@suburban_hooligan, yes after countless hours of reading this is the conclusion I have come to. No it's not a 4 pole and I think this is why it doesn't wheelie, not enough torque, although I have read about other people using 2 pole motors and being able to wheelie, but I don't know how much of it is true. In any case I'm still trying to learn all about electric motors and esc's and going to get a new setup anyway.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:40 AM
cumminspower5.9

My best guess is it being a 2 pole motor. The RTR XS comes with a 4 pole. And you said it only a 35 amp combo. That's not a lot. I think the Vapor that comes stock is at the least 60 amps.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:41 AM
cumminspower5.9

Anyway, wheelies are fun for a while on this little truck. Then they get old and it gets boring to drive if all it does is lift up the front end.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:04 PM
larkup25

thats right, my main concern though was not so much to do wheelies but the lack of torque my setup seems to have. A little more research before i had purchased motor esc combo may have been better in hindsight. But live and learn I suppose. I have ordered another setup with a 4 pole motor and 120 amp esc.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:13 PM
whee-sconsin basher

I've got a Viper VX4.39 motor and Copperhead ESC combo, and my truck doesn't wheelie either. ESC specs @ 100 amp continuous w/ a 550 amp burst. Slipper is locked. Battery is claimed to be 30c. I have noticed that with the stock tires, it will do 4wd burnouts from a dead stop, so I'm wondering how it will hook up with a different set of tires. At least there's enough speed for me to be satisfied
Old 07-16-2014, 12:26 PM
whee-sconsin basher

Curious what everyone else is currently running for tire/wheel combo. Thinking of going with Gladiator 2s since I run offroad primarily. Not settled on wheels yet.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:52 AM
cumminspower5.9

I used to run Pro-Line Badlands on a set of HPI Monster 2.2 black rims. Hooked up on everything, and took forever to wear out.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:16 PM
whee-sconsin basher

Originally Posted by cumminspower5.9
I used to run Pro-Line Badlands on a set of HPI Monster 2.2 black rims. Hooked up on everything, and took forever to wear out.
I've given them thought also. Do you not have your truck anymore, or running something different?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:22 PM
icekreme1002

Here's our pair

Parts are mixed up now but one was SS kit, one a RTR. The beetle has the RTR vapor ESC and 4000kv motor, gladiators, SS shocks, 60t spur and 26t pinion. Rear diff has 500k oil, front 300k, slipper is tight as possible. The shocks have been tuned and tuned again and it will only just wheelie on a full 2s 40c 5800mah battery. This is the best one to drive.

The other truck has a mamba max pro with the 3800kv 4 pole, proline powerstrokes and badlands. I haven't been able to get this combo working anywhere near as well as the the beetle setup. Pretty sure its the increased height and IMO not as capable shocks causing problems. Currently the diffs, spur and slipper is the same and pinion is 24t. It wheelies like crazy. Fun yes, but not as fun as the VW.

PS, something that will significantly effect your wheelies is the level of droop and dampening in your shocks. The beetle shocks (ss kit shocks) are easy to setup and I have mine so it droops around 40%ish of the full travel. This way I have lots of up and down movement and when you punch the throttle the car is in a much better position to put the power down instead of just flipping back. I haven't been able to get the powerstokes anywhere near as plush yet though :-(. So maybe you have your shocks tuned too well? lol. Try tightening them up and if it still wont wheelie its likely the slipper or 2 pole or what seems like a pretty weak ESC as others have said. Good luck :-)

Last edited by icekreme1002; 07-20-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:29 PM
suburban_hooligan

Originally Posted by whee-sconsin basher
Curious what everyone else is currently running for tire/wheel combo. Thinking of going with Gladiator 2s since I run offroad primarily. Not settled on wheels yet.
RPM revolver wheels with tamiya blackfoot tires with AE foam inserts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.