Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: The mini everyone has always wanted, losi 1/14th 8ight

Amainhobbies with a 25 dollar off coupon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey folks,
    thanks for making the hobby so great. I am looking into this for a 2nd mini, to compliment my son's MERV. Would this race well with the 1/16 VXLs, how about other minis this would class up with, or that would make a good mini class. I am looking to get some interest and get a small neighborhood track going. I would have so far, a 1/10 2wd OPEN class. and a mini open class.
    Can anyone with a MERV and a mini8 give some comparison, and maybe a pic of them together?
    Love my TEKIN,..and a Tupperware! Happy Landings
    DX3s, AX10 FX-R 55t, Pede w/VXL, VXL Revo, Extra300(PZ) ,Gemini, etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The mini 8 will out handle a merv any day , they are similar size pretty close,
    The merv will be quicker in drag racing but the mini 8 will smoke it on a nice smooth track , easy to fly , and doesn't roll every time u steer it ,
    Ponce you get the mini8 setup it will be sweet for ya

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys. Im thinking of etting the mini 8ight. What do you guys think of it overall? pros/cons?
    -Aerodynamics and turbos are for people who can't build motors.

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get it. Its a great 1/16th scale rc. The pros far out weight the cons. You can read about my thoughts on the buggy on page 2.

Quick tips:
    - get an xray micro servo saver for the stock servo. Or get a HS-225mg and any decent servo saver (xray mini, vendetta, kimbrough)
    - Boil your shock caps and ends for more flexability. Or change them out with something else. I use crt.5 shock caps and ends. Other use traxxas but I don't remember the part number off hand.
    - Carbon Fiber shock towers do actually help. (going against what I said on page 2).
    Of course I\'\'ll have coffee... I always have coffee when I\'\'m watching radar. Everyone knows that!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rschoi_75

Get it. Its a great 1/16th scale rc. The pros far out weight the cons. You can read about my thoughts on the buggy on page 2.

Quick tips:
    - get an xray micro servo saver for the stock servo. Or get a HS-225mg and any decent servo saver (xray mini, vendetta, kimbrough)
    - Boil your shock caps and ends for more flexability. Or change them out with something else. I use crt.5 shock caps and ends. Other use traxxas but I don't remember the part number off hand.
    - Carbon Fiber shock towers do actually help. (going against what I said on page 2).

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Quick tips:
    Thanks man. How does it run on a 2s lipo stock? is it pretty quick? are the diffs and dogbones under strain with a 2s lipo?

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also could you recommend a lipo that will fit this? preferrably from towerhobbies. no more than $30 please. thanks

Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

Quick tips:
    Thanks man. How does it run on a 2s lipo stock? is it pretty quick? are the diffs and dogbones under strain with a 2s lipo?
    Mine runs great on 2S, here are the specs for what Ibought. It fits like a glove too. Gonna get the 3S(Part No. 15024) after I sell some stuff on eBay. No drive train wear that Inoticed.

2s 2000mah 20c Venom battery Part No. VNR15023

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any chance a short course truck body will fit this car? I'm thinking it might protect it a little better.

Also, what gearing are you guys running for the Lipo's? Mine is way too fast to be controlled on any surface with the Lipo I have (1800 7.4v).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: homey55

Any chance a short course truck body will fit this car? I'm thinking it might protect it a little better.

Also, what gearing are you guys running for the Lipo's? Mine is way too fast to be controlled on any surface with the Lipo I have (1800 7.4v).
    Interesting you say its way to fast. I think the 2S 2000 Ihave is ample and the 3S most likely will be screaming. As long as I can keep the tires on the ground through full throttle I'll run 3S. I'm running stock gearing, U?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Stock gearing as well. I also have the stock remote which I am told is basically an on/off switch and I'm wondering if that's the problem. I took the car to the local track (OCRC & WCRC) and my car is as fast or faster than all of the cars on the back straight. Everywhere else on the track the car is all over the place and it's almost impossible for me to have a clean lap.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: homey55

Stock gearing as well. I also have the stock remote which I am told is basically an on/off switch and I'm wondering if that's the problem. I took the car to the local track (OCRC & WCRC) and my car is as fast or faster than all of the cars on the back straight. Everywhere else on the track the car is all over the place and it's almost impossible for me to have a clean lap.
    Stock radio is garbage, I switched mine to traxxas 2.4 and it's a whole lot more controllable. I'd say a high end radio system would be really sweet

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ordered my Venom 3S battery today. I hope its a direct drop in (which it should be), Ihate having to mod the car to make batteries fit. For how much Irun these two packs should last me a while.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Other forums have talked about the Castle Creations CM26 4600kv that is on sale at Castle's site for $25. Ordered mine today. May want to consider getting one to replace the stocker or at least have a back up in case something goes wrong. The stock motor is $50 alone. I will just need to get the right size pinion and I'll be good to go. Will post a pic once recieved and installed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ran today and yesterday with one video made from it and another on the way. Enjoy. Stay tuned for the second one either Tuesday or Wednesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bHCBnQAs6U

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Geofiveo

Ran today and yesterday with one video made from it and another on the way. Enjoy. Stay tuned for the second one either Tuesday or Wednesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bHCBnQAs6U

As promised here is the second and better of the two.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVpK6iHI4ps

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Joecool, this is sort of the main Losi Mini 8ight forum that was started. Let me know more about the buggy once you've got yours. I just might have to get one.
    Axial Wraith, SCX10 Rubicon and Twin Hammers Buggy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will!

Driven Productions is working on a pinion/spur gear cover to keep trash out of the teeth. I'm looking at the lessons learned, and will probably order a new servo and a servo saver to fix a common issue. The servo being weak or crappy is one of the most talked about issues. Another is the gears being open, so that should be solved when I first get it. I've also heard that the shock caps are junk, but on good aluminum shocks... Makes no sense. Will definitely fix that issue!

Aside from that, I'll give her some tries and see what else I think needs to be updated. May go with a sway bar kit. Hot Racing already has a kit! I wonder if it fits properly?

Joe
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Kro,

I see that you have a gyro installed, or at least it appears to be one. Little square red device with wires going to rcvr. How does the gyro fare in the mini 8ight? Where Did you get it? And ultimately, does it make a difference wether it is on the side, to the front, or to the back?

I figured that the buggy handled well enough from the reviews, it doesn't need a gyro... But in what I've read, they can be a big help. I installed one on my rustler in the center towards the rear, but due to some issue with either my rcvr or servo, I couldn't get it to work properly. It seemed to work intermittent, sometimes coming on, most of the time not even working. Someone said to check my steering alignment and make sure it is centered and not trimmed too high to one side.

Thanks

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Hey Kro,

I see that you have a gyro installed, or at least it appears to be one. Little square red device with wires going to rcvr. How does the gyro? Where I'd you get it? And ultimately, does it make a difference wether it is on the side, to the front, or to the back?

I figured that the buggy handled well enough from the reviews, it doesn't need a gyro... But in what I've read, they can be a big help. I installed one on my rustler in the center towards the rear, but due to some issue with either my rcvr or servo, I couldn't get it to work properly. It seemed to work intermittent, sometimes coming on, most of the time not even working. Someone said to check my steering alignment and make sure it is centered and not trimmed too high to one side.

Thanks

Joe
    I must have missed something here - a gyro in a car? How is that going to work ?
    Mini 8ight, BWD Mini Wedge Pro, MLST2, Mini T

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

anyone breaking the piece that hodls the front supsion pin's on behind the bumper mine broke nad i sadly got to wait till late maybe end of this month to get that part unless anyone knows where i can get one thanks guys.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Neiloid,

Yes a gyro on an RC car. The gyro works in conjunction with your servo. The gyro's function is to stabilize... Much like it helps a RC helicopter stabilize in flight and not torque around and around, the gyro will stabilize your RC and assist in keeping a straight line whenever the car starts tracking left or right, without any steering inputs.

A good example would probably be on YouTube. I asked Kyro how did it fare on the mini 8ight? Since it reportedly handles like a champ already. I could be wrong, maybe its not a gyro on there, but It looks like a little gyro. They usually are larger than that too, but maybe they designed a smaller one for mini rc's. I am not sure how much more support they will be to a 4wd... I see them more on 2wd cars. Mount it in the center and toward the back.

When your car is accelerating, the front wheels will guide your car to which ever direction they are facing; however, we all find that we must make slight steering corrections to keep our RC in a straight line. Here's where a gyro will be assisting your steering and guiding the rc in a straight path. I also noticed increased handling with the gyro on the rustler. Though, it only worked half the time with mine, since I didn't trim my steering settings properly. Mine worked initially, and then I swapped out the servo and assumed I dialed the alignment in straight, but didn't... I ended up making the alignment correction at the transmitter, which is wrong. I ultimately in plugged the gyro and kept it for later use, since I sold the rustler.

At any rate, I probably wasted everyone's time typing that long reply, but I was typing as my brain was making the thoughts... Now it hurts

Google Rustler with Gyro or RC car with Gyro and watch the video. There's one that has the guy pick the car up and sway the back end from side to side, all the while, the front wheels maintained a straight line, with the gyro countering the sway. Exactly as you would if the rear end slid out to the right, you'll turn your wheel to the right to pull out of it and keep a straight line.

Really neat stuff!

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I see there are now two different threads on the mini 8ight. Maybe one will take off as the main one. I like this one, but the name is too long - needs to just be OFFICIAL Mini 8ight.

that said. Anyone think this Futaba Servo will do? Tower Hobbies is having a two day sale only on a few items and i'm not sure if the savings is worth the investment if i can get the same performance out of a hitec MG servo for cheaper.

Here is the servo: S3305 High-Torque Standard MG Servo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i want to set up a gyro in my cars, im a good driver and all, but just the thought of self righting is cool, that and you really cant "feel" what the car is doing because your not inside it, though you do get a synthetic sense of feel once you learn how the car acts.

mini cars will really work well with this because most all of them have sloppy tracking.
    Signature
    (Max. 125 chars. 2 lines max)

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast