Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

The mini everyone has always wanted, losi 1/14th 8ight

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

The mini everyone has always wanted, losi 1/14th 8ight

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 03:50 AM
ralph289

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The mini everyone has always wanted, losi 1/14th 8ight

THANKS
Ralph
Old 05-02-2012, 03:38 PM
ralph289

8mini Slipper adjustment ?
Is there a slipper adjustment on the 8mini ? If so can some one please explain EXACTLY where it is and how to adjust it.
I don't see anything about it in the on-line manual.
THANKS
Old 05-02-2012, 06:45 PM
ntalekt

ORIGINAL: ralph289

8mini Slipper adjustment ?
Is there a slipper adjustment on the 8mini ? If so can some one please explain EXACTLY where it is and how to adjust it.
I don't see anything about it in the on-line manual.
THANKS
2x. I actually just posted about this before I saw your post: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11066170/tm.htm
Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 AM
ntalekt

J0EC00L,

Thanks for all the great video's and posts. I've been getting back into the hobby and picked a mini 8ight up and you have helped a lot!

Any updates on the drift pro gd-4 gyro? Does it help?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:57 PM
ralph289

What are the best Turnbuckle Ball ends for the mini 8
RPM 73375 ? Don't care for the Blue, is the 73372 in black the same ? Or is there a better choice ? These stock ones pop off SO easy.
Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 PM
J0EC00L
My Feedback: (3)

Ntalekt,

My apologies for such a late reply. Thank you for the kind comments on the videos. I'm by no means an expert or anything like that. I'm like you, an average Joe at this and I try to capture simple things about the upgrades or settings on the mini 8 that I have learned from others and found out through my own research.

I wish I had an actual way to record good video of me actually doing the upgrades; but then you'd all see me making silly mistakes through trial and error or doing it wrong

In all honesty, the majority of what I have done I picked up from other people who are much better at this or at least have some great creative ingenuity. My only personal mod was the battery compartment.

At any rate, thanks again and I do plan on another video that captures some settings on ride height, shock rebound, and suspension. I learned it from another forum member who on rctech forums and he has his own track and has done a lot of the same mods I have; but, actually tests and tunes his mini 8 with different trial and error settings and reports the feedback. So through his dedicated work, we have learned some necessary settings for the mini 8

Ralph,

The black ones will be fine. Just make sure they aren't the extra long ones, but I think the part number you posted is the set you want. They are much better than stock and are tough to even mount, so I'm certain they don't pop off easily, because it took me having to use pliers to snap them on.

Sorry for a long post guys.

Joe
Old 05-22-2012, 12:23 PM
neiloid

What are the best Turnbuckle Ball ends for the mini 8
RPM 73375 ? Don't care for the Blue, is the 73372 in black the same ? Or is there a better choice ? These stock ones pop off SO easy.
Thanks
RPM are the aftermarket turnbuckle of choice and available in a variety of colours to match your style. I have to say that I've dished out a load of abuse to mine and have yet to pop one off. It used to be a real problem on my mini-T but I think I may have just been lucky so far but will replace them with the RPMs if it does become a problem.

My problem is having a hinge pin break loose when I clipped a tree at the end of my afternoon bash. Can't find the hinge pin and can't find the aluminum hop up parts in stock anywhere. So it's back to the mini wedge MRC until I do - slow is the new fast
Old 06-01-2012, 06:59 AM
neiloid

I seriously hope this isn't a dead thread...

Anyhow, whilst I ordered my aluminum suspension mounts from Liquid RC the Toyz had a 15% off deal which I couldn't pass up so I bought the following to beef up the front end. Losi aluminum Carriers, Losi aluminum Spindles and the Losi aluminum wheel hexes.

It all went together really well and the whole swap over took about 20 minutes. You need to reuse both large and small bearing race out of the plastic stock spindles and the bolt hinge washers. Perfect opportunity to clean the bearings before installing them - mine were covered in crap but spun really smoothly after a quick wipe over. I used blue loctite on the ball studs and 3mm bolts as they are now metal into metal.

Only thing to be aware of is to have the thicker flat side of the wheel hexes to the outside. These are great hop up as whilst most of the plastic hexes stayed in place when I removed my wheel one did not and shows greater signs of wear and of not seating on the cross pin properly. No such problem with the hop up hexes as the pin and hex are captive.

Hope the pictures show the level of machining on these parts, they are really well made ad finished and go together a treat.

Still waiting on the aluminum suspension mounts.....[&o]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70127.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1767835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19826.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1767836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55185.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1767837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52621.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1767838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw21196.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1767839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10533.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1767840  
Old 06-01-2012, 07:06 AM
ralph289

Got the same set up on mine works REAL well now if they made GOOD lower arms for it, maybe by RPM. Also I changed the turnbuckle Ball Cup Ends to RPM BIG improvement !
Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM
neiloid

Hi Ralph, got a picture of your M8 ?
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM
ralph289

ORIGINAL: neiloid

Hi Ralph, got a picture of your M8 ?
Sure here it is :

Name:	Db85220.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1767864  
Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 AM
neiloid

Excellent, you are over on RC Tech too? I think I recognise that shell - I take it your avatar is not you...
Old 06-01-2012, 08:29 AM
neiloid

Just took the plunge and reamed a couple of vent holes in the side pods.

Name:	Yw66636.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1767868  
Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 AM
ralph289

Excellent, you are over on RC Tech too? I think I recognise that shell - I take it your avatar is not you...
Yep, on TC Tech too great site. NO avatar is not me just some fun
Old 06-01-2012, 09:17 AM
ralph289

Just took the plunge and reamed a couple of vent holes in the side pods.
I find the holes I put in REALLY help, tried the small side vent holes but didn't see much improvement from that, the windshild and body holes did help. Some guys are cutting out the windshild which is ok too, the holes work for me.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 AM
J0EC00L

Neil. Glad u finally upgraded the suspension as I did. Yes it quite eases and a great opportunity to clean the parts too.

I need to get back to fiddling with my M8. Been real busy at work and home. Not a lot of time o myself lately.

I still have to solve the front shock issue. I've reduced some of the proble
But it still feels like I missing something. I have looked it over completely. Rebuilt and everything. Still not as much travel as I envisioned it had?

Oh well, back to the drawing boards.

Joe
Old 06-01-2012, 12:59 PM
neiloid

Yep, on TC Tech too great site. NO avatar is not me just some fun
There's a guy on RCCrawler.com forum with the same avatar. They are a lot more intense and tech (no surprise I guess) over at RC Tech seem to be a lot of racers over there. Get some good set up tips from those guys.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:06 PM
neiloid

ORIGINAL: J0EC00L

Neil. Glad u finally upgraded the suspension as I did. Yes it quite eases and a great opportunity to clean the parts too.

I need to get back to fiddling with my M8. Been real busy at work and home. Not a lot of time o myself lately.

I still have to solve the front shock issue. I've reduced some of the proble
But it still feels like I missing something. I have looked it over completely. Rebuilt and everything. Still not as much travel as I envisioned it had?

Oh well, back to the drawing boards.

Joe
Joe, good to have you back .

Sorry to hear you've got travel woes and no time to crack the problem, but work and family hav to come first in these austere times. Guess you've had no time for another of your famous upgrade videos - I'm still waiting to see those front and rear LEDs in action.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 AM
neiloid

So I got the rest of my hop ups today and the hinge pin retainer that blew out was replaced with the Losi aluminum replacement and the steering link replaced with the Losi carbon part in the hope of reducing some of the woeful steering slop.

The aluminum parts are again really nice pieces and look superb. I've used the zero inserts front and back for now so that I can see the effects of the other inserts at a later date.

Perfect fit with everything lining up as you would expect with just the usual wrestling an octopus getting the front drive shafts held in place whilst inserting the hinge pins and bolting on the retainers ! Three pairs of hands would be helpful here !

All back together and ready for a long weekend of fun.

Name:	Nk27824.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1768251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26945.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1768252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83420.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1768253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz76039.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1768254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf50553.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1768255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz39213.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1768256  
Old 06-03-2012, 07:51 PM
J0EC00L

Neil,

Good to see those alum hop ups by Losi on your M8. I need to get alum hinge pin covers as well. Just in case I break a plastic one down the road, I'll have the alum for back up. I will make another video when the time comes. I wouldn't say they are famous just yet

Squirrelod has some solid videos that cover all topics of racing rc's and those are what I'd deem famous. I would like to make a decent one that shows everything I've done with better tips and tricks we've all discovered. I probably would fare better if I had a script to go by and a stand for my iPhone. Lol. Seriously, can't believe they haven't made a tripod for the iPhone yet

My next phase of tuning will be painting and designing a new body. I will probably do something simple and functional
Versus something fancy and all.

Thanks for the support guys on the videos; I have been lucky to
Find a lot of the upgrades from online research and forums.

Joe
Old 06-04-2012, 12:32 AM
neiloid

Hey Joe

[link=http://www.amazon.com/Joby-Gorillamobile-AT-Verizon-iPhone/dp/B004AP9638/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338798356&sr=8-1]THIS[/link] should set you right. Only heard good things about them

Can't wait to see the new body - you going Phat ?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:13 PM
J0EC00L

Neil,

I forgot to mention - you did an excellent job reviewing the alum losi hubs, spindles, carriers and hexes. The photos are excellent and the text is precise. I feel you should be doing the videos... Not me

I will probably take down a few of my videos since they are now obsolete with the latest changes and upgrades we've done. I will probably do a two or three part series on the mini 8ight; trying to capture in greater detail the hop ups done and what functionality they add.

Thanks again for re-energizing this thread.

Joe
Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 PM
J0EC00L

Awesome! I will definitely order one now

I have noticed some shaky scenes in my videos. Only problem or limitation of the iPhone 4s's vid camera is that it does not auto focus while recording. Basically, whatever depth or distance you start the recording on, you must maintain, or it gets fuzzy zoomin in or zooming out. Only way to fix that is to be ready to tap the screen each time you want to re-focus on the foreground or background. Not a pain, but bothersome as you move about trying to capture details on the project you are recording.

Yes... The iPhone 4s has some weaknesses compared to other smart phones, but it's strengths outweigh the competition still

Damn you apple.... Damn you for making a product we all must have or want, and once we get it, we are already wanting its successor knowing it will address our complaints - but secretly understanding it will also provide us new complaints. <- that is truth!

Joe
Old 06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
booh

some nice looking m8`s there. i got mine last week and a couple of days ago i replaced the shock shafts with the ti-ni ones from a mlst2 the threads gor the bottom eyelet are shorter only a few mm but now ive noticed a problem with the rear shocks not coming back to were they should be after being pressed down its like there is something in the shock body stopping it returning ive taken it apart again and cant see anything wrong any help would be great and heres some pcis of mine with afew other mods 3mm carbon front tower my own version (i had the stuff so why not) carbon drag link (same thing as before) i ahve the rpm rod ends and t-bone bumpers coming soon i hope anyway

Old 06-11-2012, 03:19 PM
neiloid

Hi booh

Are you using the whole MLST2 shock or just the Ti-Ni shafts from them?
Good job on your homemade carbon goodies, I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Also looks like a custom painted shell in the third pic, any chance of a better picture?

T-Bone bumpers are very good, I've got the smaller race version (?) on the front and skid on the rear.

Be sure to post pics once they are installed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.