1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

HPI Mini Recon

Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 AM
thehuntingterminator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HPI Mini Recon

i subbed to you on youtube. my name is the same on here as is there.
Quote:
ORIGINAL: Atomika

A couple pix & vid of the latest mods to my MR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dAyy...iunktK7nL0pWYy
Old 12-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Atomika

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@SyCo VeNoM

Sweet! I didn't know they made anything like that. That'll make it doing headlights much easier, smaller & more solid, Thanx.

@robjr1

I jus used some spare parts I had lying around. 2 "finger lights" I got in the $ isle at a grocery store, 2 wires, a piece of lexan, and a servo. I replaced the original servo with a metal geared one and used the stock one to do the lights with.

I'll make a vid showing how I made it here in the next day or so.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

@SyCo VeNoM

Sweet! I didn't know they made anything like that. That'll make it doing headlights much easier, smaller & more solid, Thanx.
yea someone in another thread asked if they would work, and when I saw it I was like hmm ordered 2, and rigged em up. Only wish I remembered where I put them (one was hooked to an ESC I REALLY need right now too...)
Old 12-26-2011, 01:44 AM
stevenkelby

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

A couple pix & vid of the latest mods to my MR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dAyy...iunktK7nL0pWYy
Cool

Are these your shocks?

http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/MEGA...mtpt-mp112.htm

Happy with them?

I have the shocks from a Losi mini 8ight and they are good but were a pain to fit to the Recon, a bit too long too.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can say now RC18b arms fit the recon perfectly
so no $20 a pair HPI arms seeing there are aftermarket RPM RC18b arms cheaper
Shock tower still will probably have to get from megatech though still $7 aint that bad for a pair of towers
wish megatech just sold the aluminum shock towers separate from the "complete aluminum upgrade kit" seeing I don't want any of the other parts...

Now have to wait for my sedan RC18 conversion hub set to arrive, and I should be able to slap the mini slash rims on no issue (the conversion has spaces that should eliminate slop that was REAL bad with the traxxas hex's, and the distance from the axle hole in the rim itself)
Old 12-26-2011, 02:50 PM
alexhunter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone know if the rc18 rear hub Carrier will fit the recon. My kid broke one after 10 seconds of use Christmas morning. I can't find a Hpi part in stock and can't find the megatech ones in Canada.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: alexhunter

Does anyone know if the rc18 rear hub Carrier will fit the recon. My kid broke one after 10 seconds of use Christmas morning. I can't find a Hpi part in stock and can't find the megatech ones in Canada.
just tried it doesn't fit right
it looks like it can be made to fit though the issue I see is the RC18b's has a little nub that prevents the suspension from going down farther if it was dremeled off (or maybe an after market version doesn't have it), and you put the RC 18's rear turnbuckles on it MIGHT work. the part will fit in the arm though, but its tight and causing binding which I'm attributing to the turnbuckle on the HPI being shorter than the RC18

Also shoot HPI an e-mail and say it broke after a day or 2 of use there is a chance they will send you a new part at no cost.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Atomika

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

@ stevenkelby

Yep, Those are the ones. I like em so far. They've been good for cruising around in parking lots thus far. It'll be awhile b4 I know if they're racing worthy as our 18 track is out of commission till spring. The fronts are significantly shorter than the rears. Drop test wise they bottom out at a much lower height than the stock ones.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:19 PM
stevenkelby

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks.

Is it bad that they bottom out sooner than stock? I would think it's better if they can take a bigger drop? I'd like the best shocks possible
Old 12-27-2011, 06:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: stevenkelby

Thanks.

Is it bad that they bottom out sooner than stock? I would think it's better if they can take a bigger drop? I'd like the best shocks possible
yes and no
you kinda want a happy medium
if the shocks are too rigid, and have too stiff of spring the arm, and shock tower will take most the force instead of it being absorbed by the shocks. Too soft, and you will hit the chassis too hard, and cause damage that way. The chassis slapping the ground isn't that bad if its not too hard
Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 PM
stevenkelby

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
yes and no
you kinda want a happy medium
if the shocks are too rigid, and have too stiff of spring the arm, and shock tower will take most the force instead of it being absorbed by the shocks. Too soft, and you will hit the chassis too hard, and cause damage that way. The chassis slapping the ground isn't that bad if its not too hard
Cool thanks. With the Losi mini 8ight shocks I have now, the chassis will not touch the ground at all, the shocks bottom out first, putting all the force through the shock mounts/shock tower. Not ideal at all. I broke a couple lower shock mounts/rod ends but have better quality ones coming from Ofna and Traxxas.

Would love a perfect fitting shock, might try some from 3 racing for the RC18 next.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm actually tempted to order that aluminum upgrade kit, and just pretend the arms don't exist. seeing I wanted aluminum arms, kuckles, c-hubs anyways $60 aint that bad after thinking how much I've dropped on a set of shock towers. I think I'll wait till the RC18 RPM arms come in the mail so I can make 100% sure the C-hubs, and rear carriers don't have fitment issues.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 PM
WWWracing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi im new to this and i was wondering if the Associated rc18b rtr would run well against theHPI Mini Recon rtr? What are the pros and cons comaring them to eachother? Which is faster? also this is all completely STOCK
P.S. is the rc18b any faster/better than the rc18t?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mracing1553

hi im new to this and i was wondering if the Associated rc18b rtr would run well against the HPI Mini Recon rtr? What are the pros and cons comaring them to eachother? Which is faster? also this is all completely STOCK
hmm RC18b will have better parts support, and has a ton of aftermarket parts available.
The recon has very limited parts support, and replacements if going through HPI honestly for a hand full of parts it cost almost as much as the truck itself.
Now if you go through Megatech, and get the megapro parts for replacements cost drops significantly. Also megatech has an aluminum upgrade kit that has most the parts in aluminum
Recon has 2.4ghz vs the RC18b's 27mhz AM
Recon also has the spur gear enclosed where the RC18 leaves it open (but an aftermarket cover is available)
speed wise the should be similar
Recon has a wider battery compartment where the RC18's is a little more narrow (narrow enough to where my lipo won't fit at all...)

Quote:
P.S. is the rc18b any faster/better than the rc18t?
same RC diff tires, buggy has a wing, and body is diff
Old 12-29-2011, 10:34 AM
WWWracing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so who do u think would win? becuase my friend got the mini recon and i want to be able to race him and have it be fair and fast
Old 12-29-2011, 12:50 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

so who do u think would win? becuase my friend got the mini recon and i want to be able to race him and have it be fair and fast
the better driver
Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 PM
WWWracing

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

good thats exactly what i wanted...*hint*hint* btw which do u think is all around better: rc18b or rc18t?we will be racing on a bumpy street, but it should be able to go off curbs and drive over sticks/grass.Speed, handling, and off roading ability all included please. It should also be able to jump, but nothing serious (jumping over cars ect.). Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

good thats exactly what i wanted...*hint*hint* btw which do u think is all around better: rc18b or rc18t? we will be racing on a bumpy street, but it should be able to go off curbs and drive over sticks/grass. Speed, handling, and off roading ability all included please. It should also be able to jump, but nothing serious (jumping over cars ect.). Thanks for the tips!
literally they are basically the same RC(wing, and bodies are the difference) just different tires. Pretty sure the tires are even the same exat size just different threads

Side not to get on topic got my RPM RC18 arms they fit pretty good BUT a few minor mods had to be done.
1st I had to enlarge the C-hubs hole cause the RC18 seems to use a larger pin on the C-hub than the recon. I also had to cut a new pin found out the clothing hangers I use the metal was the perfect diameter so I made 2 pins off a hanger Oddly the other side that goes to the chassis was the same size as the RC18's so no mods had to be done
I also had to make the hinge area on the C-hub a little thinner cause it was too tight in the arm. Outside those 2 things they fit great otherwise

Also got my 12mm hex hub kit, and wow this thing is nice
has a flange that brings the 5mm hole in the 12mm rims down to 3mm's perfectly, and has a nice offset so the rims are at the right position. Now wish I could find my 4th mini slash rim, and I would be set.
Also gotta order the replacement shock tower now that I know the arm replacement idea works to get it back up and running.

Edit: cause I hate posting 2 things back to back
Put the rear arms on. Had same issue I had with the front, and had to make a bigger hole, and a pin to hold the rear carriers in. Also ordered tamiya rally tires(was same price as a mini slash rim/tire), and the aluminum megapro upgrade kit so once those 2 come it will be fixed up and able to run
Old 12-31-2011, 10:38 PM
mjohnson55336

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will a mip diff work out of a AE rc18t work in a HPI mini recon?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:48 PM
mjohnson55336

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a hpi mini recon and i just threw in a Dynamte Fuze brushless system in it. Any ideas on how to do the differentials so they wont blow up its an 8300kv motor. Any help is greatly appresheated.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 PM
stevenkelby

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mjohnson55336

Will a mip diff work out of a AE rc18t work in a HPI mini recon?
Yes, but I had to scrape 0.8mm off the bearing housing on the lower diff casing, the MIP diff was too wide. The top cover on the Recon was 0.8mm wider than the bottom one, so it was perfect.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:10 AM
ktombs1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I put MIP`s in front and back. the bottoms were tight but did pop in, the tops fit fine. gear mesh was perfect.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:46 AM
stevenkelby

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My mesh was perfect too, I tried 1 shim and it was too tight, wouldn't turn freely.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 AM
mercerbeef

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice, maybe now I can get my brama18b running. my micro sidewinder blew both diffs on the buggy. Does the buggy alum. motor mount fit the recon? and I'm guessing the bramas alum. shocks would be too short for the recon too?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I didn't post this but there was another issue I didn't notice with the traxxas rims on it. Putting the RPM arms on somehow pushed the hubs, and carrier a little farther out making the rims go in on the top due to the tierods now being too short. Kinda was shocked at that seeing the RPM arms are literally the same dimensions... Ohh well I ordered titanium RC18 tierod set to fix that. This is probably one of the last expenses I see for a while till the diffs melt, but I'll deal with that when it arises. So far around $100 in upgrades(which would have been less if they sold the alum shock towers separate), not counting the BL setup which I think will pretty much end it

Search this Thread