Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

HPI Mini Recon

Old 02-11-2012, 08:06 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HPI Mini Recon

looks like the radioshack version is better
Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 PM
jbain2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just picked up a set of the aluminum shocks as the stock ones didn't make it too long. Got the megapro/pro-pulse kit from rchobbyexplosion. The shocks in the kit are different lengths. 2 shorter ones and 2 longer ones. The all look shorter than the stock ones. Anyone know what the deal is? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbain2

Just picked up a set of the aluminum shocks as the stock ones didn't make it too long. Got the megapro/pro-pulse kit from rchobbyexplosion. The shocks in the kit are different lengths. 2 shorter ones and 2 longer ones. The all look shorter than the stock ones. Anyone know what the deal is? Thanks.
guessing its due to the pro-pulse being a buggy, and like most buggies they sit lower to the ground, and the front shocks are generally shorter
Old 02-17-2012, 09:53 AM
jbain2

guessing its due to the pro-pulse being a buggy, and like most buggies they sit lower to the ground, and the front shocks are generally shorter
[/quote]

The propulse truck has 4 equal length shocks. I will contact rchobbyexplosion and see what they say.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 AM
TripShot

Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM
horzplay

Ok I need some help. I need the steel diff gears but can't seem to find a site that has any, they are allsold out. I have been through 5 sets now, one set delrin, 2 setssetup by by 2 different hobby stores.If anyone knows a site or store please let me know. thanks!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 PM
RCVTRC

is it better than the animus 18rt?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 PM
horzplay

Ok got em. Both sites seem to have them in stock now.

I am also wondering about the dog bones as i have a set from the aluminum propulse/ megatechupgrade and some from the rc18t not sure which they are both are blue aluminum but one set is shorter. Any ideas which they are from? I need to order some more but dont want to order the short ones they dont seem to be long enuff. thanks for any help.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: RCVTRC

is it better than the animus 18rt?
from what I read about the animus is the ESC, servo, and RX are all built into one unit, and that unit from what I read from users is pretty faulty (servo sucks from what I read) so if it breaks you got to replace all the electronics. Also it suffers from the ludicrously expensive part issue too where parts that are uncommon to break are grouped with common things jacking the price up 4X more than they should be.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:55 PM
N3il.h

ORIGINAL: TripShot

So far my Mini Recon has been nothing but trouble. My motor has given out and I have striped a few gears ( all stock). HPI
was nice enough to replace the parts but as soon as I get one thing fixed another thing breaks.

The wheels are absolutely horrendous, and I have discovered a new problem.
When I apply full throttle from a stand still I
hear a loud clicking noise. I firstly suspected that it was the front diff, but after inspection, it turned out to be coming from the
back of vehicle. (My front diff is now locked). The back diff seems to be in good working condition, the mesh is perfect and the
everything else seems fine, this clicking is rather annoying.

Has anyone else had problems similar to mine?

Thatll be the rear pinion skipping....

Iv had exactly the same problem! Iv now got a pinion with a issing tooth and is cracked all the way through. Iv also noticed iv got quite a bit of play with the whole diff in the housing, the front diff is perfect.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM
alexhunter

Does anyone know how many small thrust balls there's supposed to be in the diff?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:34 AM
seattlebuoy
My Feedback: (1)

Just upgraded to brushless. WOW! This was the best $$ I've spent in a while. We drive in really dusty terrain and the brushed was just a pain.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20995

Very easy to mod. Had to drill new holes in the motor mount (for 2 x 2x6mm screws) and shaved the chassis rib behind the motor due to a little bit of extra motor length vs. the stock motor size. Take care where to drill the motor mount screw holes so that there is clearance to adjust the motor laterally for gear mesh. Took 20 minutes to do the mods.

Would suggest splurging for the programming card.

Round trip for ESC/motor/programming card/shipping = $46.10

Will be converting to 3S lipo as soon as Ifind a batter that fits the tray.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: seattlebuoy

Just upgraded to brushless. WOW! This was the best $$ I've spent in a while. We drive in really dusty terrain and the brushed was just a pain.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20995

Very easy to mod. Had to drill new holes in the motor mount (for 2 x 2x6mm screws) and shaved the chassis rib behind the motor due to a little bit of extra motor length vs. the stock motor size. Take care where to drill the motor mount screw holes so that there is clearance to adjust the motor laterally for gear mesh. Took 20 minutes to do the mods.

Would suggest splurging for the programming card.

Round trip for ESC/motor/programming card/shipping = $46.10

Will be converting to 3S lipo as soon as I find a batter that fits the tray.
honestly I wouldn't bother 3S on this I find 2S one MINOR mistake and you have to pick up the pieces, and try to reassemble it its built so poor.
Also the Diffs have a habit of failing on stock power.
BTW I put a BL setup in mine the servo failed hit a pole, and it needed over $70 in HPI parts... instead I slapped a aluminum kit from a pro-pulse, RPM arms(from a RC18b which is a way superior RC), and did a few other things on. I still have to get a servo for it I've just been procrastinating seeing I'm already past what the damn thing cost RTR to make repairs, and strengthen parts that should have been like they now are out of the factory
Old 06-15-2012, 06:33 AM
seattlebuoy

Spot on advice. 2S seems to be just right. Iwas thinking it would be about like the stock NiMHsince its ~ same voltage, but the bit of extra voltage and ability to keep the voltage up vs. sag like the NiMHprovides a much better experience. 3Swould be insane and not worth extra ongoing costs in parts due to bashing or drivetrain failure...

Old 06-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Breakstuff

I just got my MR last night and imediately stole the Exceleron 4500KV system out of my Losi Mini SCT. Put it in the Recon.. Running on 2S lipo its sweet. I then put the stock system from it in the mini SCT. which works out too. I felt like the brushless system was too much for the Rear wheel drive SCT. Wheels just spun. No control.  But it is perfect in the Recon.. LOVE IT...
Old 07-09-2012, 04:22 PM
dylan199

hey mate i really like thoses black monster truck wheels you got on your mr did they just bolt stright on? what did you get them off? cause my stanard wheels are broken.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:53 AM
strangera

Oh snap!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM
koolyce

I read all the post and I still have some question.

I will buy a MR for my self and my sun (4 years old). Regarding the battery, do I need to stay with the 1100mAh 7.2v? If some lipo 11.1v or 7.4v with 1300 or 1800mAh fits, can I use it?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 12:39 PM
seattlebuoy

We upgraded to a lipo and brushless motor, both HobbyKing, and have been quite happy with it. We are in AZdesert, so brushed motors have a hard time with their open case construction. Be sure and look earlier on the thread for parts form other companies that fit since the they are rebranding a chassis that has been used by others. Way cheaper on things like gears and diffs.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 PM
koolyce

Ok, but what about the v vs mAh, etc...?

tyvm
Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 PM
seattlebuoy

You need to stay with approx same voltage you use with brushed motor, which should be 2S voltage. As to mah, max size that will fit is the right answer. You want as much capacity as possible. Measure carefully and millimeters count. note that you do NOTwand to smush the lipo in to fit. Setting up for a rather spectacular fire that way.

I also switch to deans connectors sicne i use them on my planes, but that is purely optional.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM
koolyce

Ok.

So If I look the spec of the HPI recon battery, the size is:
<pre>Length: 3.9" (100mm)Width: 1.2" (32mm)Thickness: 1.04" (26.5mm)This NiMH can fit -> http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-1600-7...le-stick.htmlI would like to buy 2 spare batteries but I don't know which one to select. Also, dont' want to go with HPI recon battery, price is so expensive.</pre>
Old 11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

personally as someone that owns a recon if you didn't buy it yet I'd look at the RC18b, RC18T, or anything else. They are way mor capable, and better designed
Outside the radio the vehicle is quite the turd, and parts can be problematic, and ludicrously expensive to get(even using the site that sells the other RC's parts that are mostly compatible)
Old 11-02-2012, 02:31 PM
koolyce

Ok.

Based on your information, I have these 2 choices:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKCC2&P=0

or this one

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXARKHLL&P=0

This is for my 4 years old son.

I like the first one for the big wheel, but don't know about the parts.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM
seattlebuoy

Measure the actual space on the vehicle vs. the battery. the objective is to get as much mah in the space as possible. the stock batter leaves some space.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.