Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Would you have to do other upgrades to run this set up

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Would you have to do other upgrades to run this set up

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:26 PM
nitroholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you have to do other upgrades to run this set up

in a 1/16 vxl Revo?
http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...50-111&cat=220
Old 12-30-2011, 02:35 AM
moezer

Default RE: Would you have to do other upgrades to run this set up

you would need a new ESC lol
Old 12-30-2011, 04:21 AM
nitroholic

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:01 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: moezer

you would need a new ESC lol
why?
they come with a PARALLEL connector so it would just double the run time. Now if they are hooked up in series they would make the ESC, and motor go POOF real fast. I ran 2 2s lipos in parallel on mine when I used it fine.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:10 AM
nitroholic

Okay.When you ran the lipos did it have more power also,or just still longer run time? That's what confuses me with all the different batteries.I'm new to electric besides the old OLD tamiya Hornet in the 80's.Now i'm lost.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:55 AM
moezer

oops sorry i thought it was the series coinnection lol, yes u would get power and more run time, changing to lipo is wayyy better, and yes it will be hell of alot faster.

Nimh batts are heavy lipo depending on its size in cells are much lighter then your normal NIMH batts,6 cell NIMH batts are 7.2V while the 2Cell lipo is 7.4, but when u charge them they go up to 8.4 fully charged. Also watch out for the burst ratings, the more burst rating u have on a lipo the faster the Voltage is going to pass through the truck to power it. Also remember this with higher burst your esc and motor will heat up much faster, if ur new to lipos stay ar 2s lipos at 20 to 25 C burst rating.

Make sure you switch your ESC to lipo mode, unlike normal NIMH batts if a lipo drops below 3.2 vots depending on the lipo then u may ruine your lipo and wont be able to charge it. So when u switch the ESC to lipo mode the ESC will know when to warn you to stop playing with the RC. Unlike NIMH batts u can drive them tell the batt is dead and then recharge. Its not the case with lipos.

Another thing is, always and i mean always make sure you charge the LIPO on its rated C rating or below, so for example you have a 2000 mah lipo u can only charge it at 2 amps or below, never charge it over 2 amps or ull risk damage to the lipo batt or worse is it blowing up and setting fire to something. Always read what the lipo batt says on it and all its warrnings, some lipos can be 2000 MAH and u can charge them at more Ampage. Just read what is the max charge rate should be and what is the max discharge u can play tell u need to stop
Old 12-30-2011, 12:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as for power no (I'm guessing you mean oomph)
2 lipos will give the same power as one unless the single one is severely underrated
they should just give longer run time

in the merv running in parallel the extra weight helps keep the thing planted more though so it does have a bonus over longer run times
Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 PM
moezer

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

as for power no (I'm guessing you mean oomph)
2 lipos will give the same power as one unless the single one is severely underrated
they should just give longer run time

in the merv running in parallel the extra weight helps keep the thing planted more though so it does have a bonus over longer run times

Im not sure if you noticed that those set up from the AD are 3S lipos not 2, can you put 3S lipos in Parallel? I always read and was told not to put a 3s lipo in Parallel in my summit and i think it says that in the manual or something doesnt it?

3s in a revo is going to be too much for you to handle, if your new to lipo and dont know there limits any ways good luck

nitroholic This what it says in the traxxas manual about lipos.

LiPo Batteries

Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries are becoming popular for use in R/C models due to their compact size, high energy density, and high-current output. However, these types of batteries require special care and handling procedures for long life and safe operation.

Warning: LiPo batteries are intended only for advanced users that are educated on the risks associated with LiPo battery use. Traxxas does not recommend that anyone under the age of 16 use or handle LiPo battery packs without the supervision of a knowledgeable and responsible adult.

The VXL-3m electronic speed control is able to use LiPo batteries with nominal voltage not to exceed 11.1 volts (3S packs). LiPo batteries have a minimum safe discharge voltage threshold that should not be exceeded. The Velineon VXL-3m electronic speed control is equipped with built-in Low-Voltage Detection that alerts the driver when LiPo batteries have reached their minimum voltage (discharge) threshold.

It is the driver’s responsibility to stop immediately to prevent the battery pack from being discharged below its safe minimum threshold.

Low-Voltage Detection on the speed control is just one part of a comprehensive plan for safe LiPo battery use.

It is critical for you, the user, to follow all other instructions supplied by the battery manufacturer and the charger manufacturer for proper charging, use, and storage of LiPo batteries. Make sure you understand how to use your LiPo batteries. Be aware that Traxxas shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of the installation and/or use of LiPo batteries in Traxxas products

Old 12-30-2011, 12:18 PM
nitroholic

Extremely helpful information with lipos and the other batteries.Thank you.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM
nitroholic

Thank you guy's so much very helpful.I appreciate that.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:38 PM
moezer

ORIGINAL: nitroholic

Thank you guy's so much very helpful.I appreciate that.
any time bud, report back with an update with what u went with
Old 12-30-2011, 04:41 PM
nitroholic

For sure cause like i wrote i'm clueless with electric
Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 PM
trickle007

why cant you run 3s in parallel in a Merv?...... Only thing I could think of logically would be heat issue from extended run times?
Old 12-30-2011, 05:43 PM
moezer

ORIGINAL: trickle007

why cant you run 3s in parallel in a Merv?...... Only thing I could think of logically would be heat issue from extended run times?
yeah and 3s heats up the esc and motor as it is, my stuff gets warm from 2 s let alone 3