Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HPI Mini Recon problems

Hello all! I just got my MR in the mail today! Boy was IexcitedThis is the closest to a hobby grade RC that Ihave ever owned.
    On my first inspection of the frame, Inoticed one of the front shocks was leaking oil, I am a noob so Ifigured all Ineeded to do was just jam the bottom of the shock back in and its good to go. After Igot everything ready to run, Iwas having trouble with the truck turning to the right sharply. I looked in the manual to see how to mess with the trim and what not, but even after cranking it all the way to counter the servo, it still wasn't enough. It was still turning sharply to the right and the servo was always making a noise, even when sitting still, almost like it was still trying to turn more. After messing with the little dials on the transmitter, I got it going good enough for me to play with. After about 5-7 minutes of driving in my house, Imanaged to crack 2 rims The front shock is leaking terribly.
    Iam going to see if Ican get replacements from HPI, minus the rims, Ibought better ones. But my main question is about the turning servo. Has anyone dealt with this before? Its really annoying, Ican't even drive straight with it.

Thanks guys!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: HPI Mini Recon problems

i have a recon clone, and i too have a issue with the servo, it seems i bent the post the servo arm connects to.

check that out, then take offf the servo horn (the thingamajigg that connects to the servo AND the servo arm) set your controller to dead center, place the arm on so tires point straight, put the screw back in and trim it out.

if you STILL have a issue, and you cant find any broken or bent parts, the servo stripped out.
    Signature
    (Max. 125 chars. 2 lines max)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've managed to bust all of my rims, its a common problem. . My Shock tower was also leaking from the bottom once so i use a little super glue and closed it up. I know not everyone will want to do that but it worked for me.

Try taking the servo out and using the servo end points on the transmitter to center it.

What are the better rims that you bought?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i use propulse rims. because its a propulse truck, and the recon is just a propulse.

they crack, but only in really horrible crashes in the cold.
    Signature
    (Max. 125 chars. 2 lines max)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Popped on Tamiya on-road rims with tamiya rally tires on it using the RC18t 12mm hub conversion kit.
    ONLY wish I ran it the recon fell off my desk the day after I put on its new tie rods, and cracked the piece that holds the arms pin in on the front... Gotta get around to trying to make a new one outta aluminum.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I haven't had a ton of time to mess with this but I seemed to make a little progress from taking the servo out and messing with it.
    As for my rims, heres the link.

Also, my boss bought one the same time I did and he said one of his wheels was making a clicking sound. I think its the diff but I have no idea. What do you guys think?

ORIGINAL: TripShot

What are the better rims that you bought?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay guys, please excuse my noobness but what am I supposed to do to the servo once I have it out? I losened the little screw in the front which made the arm out outward from the servro. I have no RC knowledge sorry guys.

Thanks for all the help!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay, I have an update. I took the servo out and tightened the arm as tight as it would go, then put it all back together and i noticed a couple things. The first thing I noticed was that when I turn the truck on, the servo turns to the left slightly, so if i keep cycling the power it will keep pushing left until it cant go any more. Second thing Inoticed was after I turn the controller on, the wheels take a hard right. even if I try to trim it out. After about 2-3 minutes of driving around the house with no left turning I find myself trimming it to turn right, almost like it fixes itself. Once I get past those 3 minutes the truck is a lot of fun but only last about 5-6 more minutes before its dead.

What do you guys think? Is it the transmitter?
    THANKS!

EDIT:Just got off the phone with their support and they told me it was the servo and they will send me a new one. At lease they are good about it. Hope I get it in a timely mannor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My truck is still clicking in the rear. I switched the front and rear diffs and the clicking only stopped for about 1 pack

I might just leave it front wheel drive until I can think of something.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My truck is still clicking in the rear. I switched the front and rear diffs and the clicking only stopped for about 1 pack

Hmm, I really thought the clicking was the diffs. I haven't got to look at my bosses yet but I was thinking it was the diff.
    Let me know if you find out what the clicking is.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just in case anyone was wondering, here is what the rims look like.
    I LOVE them! Bigger and more aggressive, not sure the recon can handle it. Drove it for 10 minutes and the motor was really hot and was melting some plastic.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Front wheel drive was a hopeless attempt, just switched to rear wheel lets see if that makes a difference.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think my rear diff is going out or needs adjusted. When I first drove it, it would do donuts easy, forward or backward. Now I noticed if I give it a lot of throttle it barely even turns, I have to ease up to turn. I tore the truck down only to find out I have no idea what I am doing. I have no idea which one, front or back, is bad or needs adjusted. I don't even know how to adjust them.
    What do you guys think? Is one of them going out or do they need adjusted? I think its the rear because it seemed more beat up and the gear on the diff was a little wiggly.

Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If the diff is loose you can tighten by using the hex tool it came with. It shows exactly where to tighten it in the manual.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, I finally decided to RTFM after I decided I don't know crap about RCs. I tightened the rear about a 1/4 turn. Drove it a little during lunch and it seemed to be better. I think these tires are very rough on the diffs. They grip about twice as much as stock. I just need to ease into the throttle.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ihada clicking noise in mine, but coming from the front end. The problem seems to stem from the dogbone/stub axle interface...at the upper and lower limits of suspension travel (a lot of angle between the dogbone and stub axle), the driving "pins" on the dogbone are forced to slide in and out of the slots on the stub axles with each rotation. I think the clicking iswhen the pin completely comes out of the slot, and is forced to go back in. When Iwould compress the suspension while holding the truck in the air (with a little bit of throttle), the clickingnoise disappeared b/c the dogbone had more of a straight shotinto the stub axle (nosliding motion of the pin in the slot).
    Because Iwas impatient, my solution wastoreplace the dogbones with CVD's. However, Idon't think youwould have to do that. After Idug into the truck a littlemore to do maintenance and cleaning, Inoticed that the rear dogbones had shorter drive pins, like they had been filed down a little. Idon't know where, when, or how that happenedb/c I didn't do it (truck was NIB and it looked like it have never been run). For what it's worth though, therear nevermadethat clicking noise like the front did. HTH.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll check that out in a little bit, thanks New Dude.

My rear clicking, after going RWD for a test is now because of a stripped input gear, really annoying.

Couldn't you put springs to fill up the distance of the dog bones between the cups, like cut a pen spring in half that works. Its what i used
    when i thought i lost my back springs, only to realize that truck doesn't come with rear springs

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ah, sounds like you've got a different issue than what Ihad. I looked around online when Ifirst got my MR and the dogbone clicking seemed to be a halfway common issue. IIRC, others swapped dogbones/stub axlesand someoneelse suggested to lower the ride height. A friend of mine also bought a MR and his didn't click at all. Go figure.
    I don't know if a spring would necessarily help? If I understand correctly what you mean, the spring would be inserted into the cup of the stub axle, then you would install the dogbone. I don't think it would do any harm, but I would be wary of pushing the dogbone too far out of the cup, so the the dogbone could become disengaged. Although Idon't *think* the dogbone can shift far enough laterally to come completely out of the cup.
    My experience when adding CVD's is another reason why I suggested filing down the drive pins on the dogbones. Ibought the CVD's for the 18T/B/MT only to discover that theendwhich goes into the diff outdrive hubswouldn't fit because the drive pins were too long (Associated uses outdrives that are slotted completely through the wall, HPI's are only slotted internally). Filing did the trick. I should have added that a little goes a long way...if you do try the filing route, I would do it in small steps, and try to remove an equal amount of material from both sides. You wouldn't want to file down to the nub or have grossly mismatched drive pin lengths. Just enough to stop the clicking, but still have positive engagement.
    PS-I don't know the correct terminology for what I'm calling drive pins...but the little thingys at the end of the dogbones. Tabs? Tines? Anybody know?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

looked for one but noone has any
    micro high roller,
    1 indoor fun truck