1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Upgrade or keep the RC18t

Old 03-25-2012, 07:25 PM
RC18Turb0

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Upgrade or keep the RC18t

Hey, newb here, enjoying my rc18t. I got it used on craigslist and it has a good bit of hop up parts on it, alumium parts / castle motor & esc / lipo...ect ect.

I was wondering, should I upgrade to a completely new kit or keep the RC18? I just like playing with this thing on the weekend, around the house and outdoors in the dirt or paved surfaces (Looong driveway). Its also a neat tool to let me nephews play with. I am pretty satisfied with the speed (for now) I just want to make sure it is "basher tough" and wont break everytime I land a bad jump or hit something while in motion. With that said...

Would a Losi mini 8ight be a sutiable upgrade? I should probably tell you my requirements first: It needs to be small: 1/18th is perfect, but I can go a little larger if its worth it. I prefer small cars (1/36 is too small though), so I guess the only other size leaves 1/10th scale. I also want it to be 4wd, I like the added traction and I have no problem with spending a little more time or $$ working on the extra parts to get it running or tearing it down to rebuild. I also want electric since I can then use it indoors and I really dont want to fuss with tuning the engine (thats what my real cars are for), also now-a-days with lithium power and brushless motors the power output in insane plenty enough for me.

So whats the concensus. Keep the RC and just upgrade it over time (or when a part breaks), or sell and upgrade the entire kit for something newer?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:49 AM
mrbonez

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Upgrade or keep the RC18t

personally i would keep the 18 you have and upgrade it . maybe grab some rpm upgrades like a arms and shock towers
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 PM
yakfish

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As mentioned get yourself some rpm arms and shock towers plus get the metal diff gears too. I have them in mine and I have run up to 4s on mine and they have held up awesome. i was melting diffs before I upgraded to the metal diffs. i don't have a link for you but check out thetoyz.com and you should be able to find them.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:04 AM
horzplay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have the hpi mini recon, very simlilar to the rc18t or 18mt have all alluminum upgrades, lipo, and brushless. And would recomend the hpi savage flux xs. I have beat this since new and spent well over what it would cost to buy the savage.A friend andI bash together but\I always walk away with broken parts pissed. All the times we have beaten them he is still playing whileIi continue to repair or replace parts. Just got the steel diffs.....love em!!!! Again spend once and have fun,or keep building, become frustrated, and sell to buy another car!

if you continue with the 18 here is the link for the steel diff gear: http://thetoyz.com/Associated/RC18B/...The-Toyz/9388/
Old 04-08-2012, 02:12 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: horzplay

I have the hpi mini recon, very simlilar to the rc18t or 18mt have all alluminum upgrades, lipo, and brushless. And would recomend the hpi savage flux xs. I have beat this since new and spent well over what it would cost to buy the savage. A friend and I bash together but \I always walk away with broken parts pissed. All the times we have beaten them he is still playing whileIi continue to repair or replace parts. Just got the steel diffs.....love em!!!! Again spend once and have fun,or keep building, become frustrated, and sell to buy another car!

if you continue with the 18 here is the link for the steel diff gear: http://thetoyz.com/Associated/RC18B/...The-Toyz/9388/
I own both the recon, and the RC18. IMO the RC18 is a tad better built, and stronger.
but agree the recon is a money pit...

Search this Thread