Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Losi Mini T wont respond to controller

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Zlash03
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi Mini T wont respond to controller

I just got done driving my Mini T and started to have a random problem. It happened after I adjusted the gear mesh cause it got to far apart. I was driving it up and down my driveway and doing some 6ft high jumps with it.Every time after I jumped it, it drove away fine but I only had a problem once I adjusted the gear mesh. Thecar wont respond to throttle, reverse, or even steering! It just stoped working suddenly. Could it be anESC problem from maybe jumping it to much and to high?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: Losi Mini T wont respond to controller

ORIGINAL: Zlash03

I just got done driving my Mini T and started to have a random problem. It happened after I adjusted the gear mesh cause it got to far apart. I was driving it up and down my driveway and doing some 6ft high jumps with it. Every time after I jumped it, it drove away fine but I only had a problem once I adjusted the gear mesh. The car wont respond to throttle, reverse, or even steering! It just stoped working suddenly. Could it be an ESC problem from maybe jumping it to much and to high?

If it wont respond to throttle or steering, that tells me that either the receiver failed or is not getting power(possibly caused by a failed esc). First, make sure all of your plugs are fully plugged in, especially the battery and esc to receiver plugs. It's possible that the impact from jumping jarred one of the connectors loose.

Does the esc turn on when you switch it on? Esc's will generally make beeping sounds when they loose connection with the receiver.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Zlash03

Yes I did push in all the plugs. I even decided to open the ESC to see if there was anything visually wrong with it. The only thing I noticed were some bad soldering that sorta just went all over the motherboard in one corner. Like someone tried to fix it before me since I bought it used.

When I switch it on it makes absolutely no sounds. It doesnt make a single noise and it just acts like its off. When I was touching the motherboard when I had it out and the car on, it would sometimes have a sudden burst of speed and then just stop. But it only did that twice.

I would imagine it broke it somehow from jumping since I broke 3 of the stock plastic shocks basically in half. Thankfully I had replacements but im getting aluminum ones soon for these reasons exactly.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:14 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you still have good batteries in your transmitter? I know it's a basic question but check anyway. The ESC may be on it's way out because it powers the receiver too. It's difficult to determine the true cause since as average RC users most of us aren't qualified electronics technicians with sophisticated equipment that could test the circuits and find the root of the problem. It's also difficult to test which component may have the problem (receiver or ESC) because the two are integrated and you couldn't simply swap ESCs to test it out.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:59 AM
The Mad Modder

I'd replace the esc/receiver; it sounds like it's the culprit. I have the baja bug version of the mini-t. Within two years, every piece of electronics on it, including the motor, died. That said, I don't trust losi/horizon electronics anymore.

I guess now would be a good time to decide if you want to go brushless or stay with a brushed system. I think you'd also need a new servo because it comes with one of those weird 4 wire ones.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:00 AM
Zlash03

Yeah, I did try putting new batteries in the transmitter and it proved nothing. What does that thing you mentioned about it being integrated? I know that the esc and receiver are together in order to save space but why cant I just replace the whole module? I have to buy even more things? I ordered aluminum shocks, a quick charger, and a $20 body. I ordered this stuff before it broke though. Since I did that I now have to make it work cause I can't return some of it. The new ESC is $40 alone.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 AM
Zlash03

Yeah I did sorta consider brushless but I never looked up any prices. I might not though for now since I have a new dynamite battery and a speed charger. Did you ever replace the esc in yours? Mine is the Baja one also.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:36 AM
The Mad Modder

Yeah, I did try putting new batteries in the transmitter and it proved nothing. What does that thing you mentioned about it being integrated? I know that the esc and receiver are together in order to save space but why cant I just replace the whole module? I have to buy even more things? I ordered aluminum shocks, a quick charger, and a $20 body. I ordered this stuff before it broke though. Since I did that I now have to make it work cause I can't return some of it. The new ESC is $40 alone.
Integrated is exactly that, the esc and receiver are one unit.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Zlash03

Oh ok. So I only have to replace the whole module right? I dont have to buy another controller or anything weird like that?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:03 AM
Zlash03

Oh ok. So I only have to replace the whole module right? I dont have to buy another controller or anything weird like that?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 AM
The Mad Modder

Yeah I did sorta consider brushless but I never looked up any prices. I might not though for now since I have a new dynamite battery and a speed charger. Did you ever replace the esc in yours? Mine is the Baja one also.
OK that changes things. The regular mini-t has a esc and receiver as one unit(integrated). The esc and receiver of the baja, however are separate units that only have cases that snap together. Also the baja has a standard 3 wire servo that won't have to be replaced if you replace the receiver(regular mini-t has a weird 4 wire receiver).

I would start by replacing the esc first as it should make noise or flash lights even if the receiver doesn't work or isn't connected.

Personally I wouldn't buy losi electronics. Are you able to buy off ebay?
You could get a brushed esc like this for only $35.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-LRP80810...item53ea81719b

Or you could get something like castle's micro sidewinder for a bit more. If you think you may want to upgrade to brushless in the future, this is a good option. It will run both brushed and brushless motors, so you can use your stock motor now and upgrade to a brushless one when finances allow.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Castle-Creat...item53ec2b3129

I have a castle mamba 25(previous version of the micro sidewinder) esc in my mini baja. There really isn't a whole lot left stock on it(the baja).
Old 05-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Zlash03

Im kinda confused now if mine is actually a Baja or not. The reason is that it says " Electronic Speed Control and Receiver Unit" on the cover of it. Theres only one case with one chip in it. So what is this thing? Lol.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Zlash03

I actually have good news now. I decided to open the ESC one more time just to see if anything was wrong when I decided to take a different approach at fixing it this time. I lightly hit the motherboard on the table and it magically worked again. I dont know why or how (or that its ok that im hitting it on things) but it seems just as good as before. Maybe something was lodged somewhere I couldnt see it or something.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:59 PM
The Mad Modder

Im kinda confused now if mine is actually a Baja or not. The reason is that it says '' Electronic Speed Control and Receiver Unit'' on the cover of it. Theres only one case with one chip in it. So what is this thing? Lol.
If it came with a bug body and copper colored wheels, it's a baja. If it has a mini-t body and copper colored wheels, it's still a baja. Losi was forced to stop selling the baja because vw sued them for not licencing it as a beetle. Afterwards, losi sold their remaining mini bajas as "special edition" mini-t's with the standard truck body.

I actually have good news now. I decided to open the ESC one more time just to see if anything was wrong when I decided to take a different approach at fixing it this time. I lightly hit the motherboard on the table and it magically worked again. I dont know why or how (or that its ok that im hitting it on things) but it seems just as good as before. Maybe something was lodged somewhere I couldnt see it or something.

Perhaps you have a loose solder joint.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Zlash03

Yeah I knew they got sued for that. Mine looks exactly like the one on the top. I was just unsure cause I got it off of ebay.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Zlash03

Well that "fix" didnt work for long. As soon as I barely hit anything it stops responding again. So im just going to buy another ESC/Receiver combo. My last complaint is my motor plugs on the ESC/Receiver. They arent the small blue ones like the stock ones. The ones I have are red and much wider than the blue ones. The motor it currently has is a VenomFireball Micro Series. I need to know how to change the plugs or else I cant use the motor at all.

Heres a photo of the plugs:

Old 05-18-2012, 04:06 AM
The Mad Modder

Well that ''fix'' didnt work for long. As soon as I barely hit anything it stops responding again. So im just going to buy another ESC/Receiver combo. My last complaint is my motor plugs on the ESC/Receiver. They arent the small blue ones like the stock ones. The ones I have are red and much wider than the blue ones. The motor it currently has is a Venom Fireball Micro Series. I need to know how to change the plugs or else I cant use the motor at all.

Heres a photo of the plugs:

[img][/img]

So you bought it used? The esc/receiver is definitely not what the baja comes with. I'm not really sure if yours is a baja or a mini-t modified with a bug body. If the body has indentations in the hood(visible in the pic below), and came with non-oil filled shocks, it's a modified regular mini-t.

Either way, with the setup you have now, if you want to upgrade to a separate esc, you'll also need a receiver and standard 3 wire servo.

If you want a cheap, decent electronics...
micro receiver
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS-...item1e6d87c80e
servo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hitec-HS-55-...item4845329802
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-Mini-T-...item564a2c3f6f

Edit:
As far as the connectors go, The connectors you have there look like spade type crimp on connectors you might find at radio shack or auto parts stores. It was probably changed to them because the mini fireball comes with a standard mini plug(see below) and losi mini esc's use strange micro spade connectors. I can't find any of them sold separately, so you'll probably have to either solder on new plugs or solder the esc and motor wires directly together.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Zlash03

The body for mine doesnt have the indentations on the hood but it does have plastic shocks. I see before when you said I might have a loose solder joint. Where could a place for something like that possibly be on the motherboard? Im trying to spend as little as possible and make it easy as possible. I contacted the person who had the car before me and he said the reason those plugs are on there are because when he got the car it didnt have any motor plugs. He also said they are just simply "push in type connectors".

I would like to just stick with the regular integrated ESC/Receiver. My only problem is these stupid plugs. I would love to fix it instead of buying a whole bunch of new things. I want to try soldering it cause even if it gets messed up its broken anyway so theres nothing to lose

Old 05-18-2012, 05:19 PM
The Mad Modder

The loose solder joint could be anywhere. I would start at where the wires for the battery and motor meet the esc/receiver board. They are the most likely to have stress on them in an impact and are usually the least likely place where you could burn up a component if you leave the iron there too long. Following there, the components from largest to smallest. I wouldn't even try anything like those tiny little resistors often found on boards.

What did you have in mind for replacing those plugs? Bullet connectors, or maybe one of those mini plugs?
Old 05-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Zlash03

Yeah I sorta figured it wouldnt be worth it to try and fix it. I found another ESC/Receiver that is the exact same one as mine but brand new of course.Only $27. As for the plugs I found the exact same red ones inmy picture at radioshack. When the new ESC/Receiver comes im going to just put the same plugs on the new ESC/Receiver cause I dont like to mess with the motor because I had to have someone solder one of the wires back onto it. The copper wiring broke off the solder pretty easy.