Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

HobbyKing 1/16th Short Course Truck thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HobbyKing 1/16th Short Course Truck thread

That ESC is gonna do great considering its almost double the size of the stock one if I'm not mistaken.
ORIGINAL: seehuusen

thanks for your input mate

It sounds like I made the right choice then
I wanted it all yesterday, LOL, so I ordered my stuff from the Aussie warehouse, for quicker delivery

I hope this will work a treat in the little car By the sounds of it, it should do well
Oh and I got the programming card for it as well (yep, I know it says it's for a 150a ESC, but the ESC I bought also supports it)

Cheers
Martin

Hobby King 35A Sensored/Sensorless Car ESC (1:10/1:12) (AUS Warehouse)

Hobby King HKSS programming card for HK 150A ESC (AUS Warehouse)
Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM
seehuusen

thanks mate, the original is a 25A rated cheap ESC... I doubt it handled that...
In fact, I don't actually know why it burned up, it happened right when I connected the battery for a test
I'm not game to put another battery back on it, at less than $25 you really don't need to argue reliability vs cost LOL

Should be fun with all the new gear...

I hadn't been able to find a heat sink for the little 2040 motor, do you reckon it's required? For piece of mind, I should just get one  
Details below of the only one I could find that looked semi good... but it's for a plane... Thoughts?

Cheers
Martin

http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...s/linkOver.gif); background-attachment: scroll; background-color: rgb(242, 242, 242); height: 29px; padding-left: 5px; text-transform: uppercase; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: repeat no-repeat; " class="productGeneral" id="productName">20MM HI DISSAPATION HEATSINK

$6.00

Lightweight Hi dissapation heatsink made for 20mm inrunner motors. 
Motor locating sleeve for mounting 20mm motors into EDF55 & 64 fan units with 24mm housing.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:35 PM
thehuntingterminator

Nah as long as your gearing is ok it'll be fine.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:45 PM
seehuusen

oh OK, AWESOME, Lucky I bought a few different pinions
Thanks again for your advice and knowledge
Old 11-04-2012, 03:40 PM
seehuusen

woooohooo, ESC and programming card has arrived, this arvo I should be able to put it all together and go for a test drive
Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 PM
seehuusen

Hey guys,

I've got the whole lot solered up with connectors and everything.
Then I switched it all on, and there was no go on the motor?!? Not even a slight movement (steering servo worked fine, so power is coming to the receiver and onto the servo)

When looking in the manual, it says, if you have an orange and a red LED lit at the same time (constant light), the ESC is setup as a sensored motor
I'm not really sure on the difference between the two... Sensored/ Sensorless, and HK doesn't list whether or not it is or isn't... I didn't think it was...

On my ESC, it has a warning label that reads as follows:

Warning!
1.re"> When installing the ESC on the Sendored Brushless motor, please attend to the  labels marked with A, B, C which must corrospond accordingly on the motor. Once misconnected, ESC will break down
2.re"> Set up the ESC at the Throttle Range Calibration for the debut, or it does not work smoothly
3.re"> Not accessible to the Brushed motor

Point one, I've got my motor wires wired, motor to ESC: blue to blue/ yellow to yellow/ red to orange

images for reference

I think that is right?

Point 2, what is the Throttle Range Calibration?

Point 3 doesn't concern me, I have a brushless motor

Thanks in advance for your input
Martin
Old 11-08-2012, 07:48 AM
brenthampton79

My wife got me one of these for my birthday and I ran it last night for the first time. Seems pretty fun for the money, its a little skaty but i figure thats because its so light and on concrete. I like it so far.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:41 PM
seehuusen

welcome to the thread mate  
They are fun little cars for sure!! I can warmly recommend the upgrade shocks and also the metal out drives, especially on 3S

Tested my ESC with two different motors, both brand new, and I think I might have a dud ESC... spewin' now I've gotta contact HK to find out more... 
Time-wise, it'd probably be faster to just go pick one up from the local hobby store... but I don't like the guy there, anti-"anything not from his store" makes for a bad customer experience...

cheers
Martin
Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM
seehuusen

it's confirmed, the new ESC was a dud so it's in the mail back to HK for a replacement...
On the upside, I did test the motors on my boat ESC, and I can't wait to try them out in the car!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 PM
seehuusen

it seems I'll be without an ESC for about a week... damn

Surfing evilBay, I found another potential motor...
I might buy it too LOL

Check out the specs:

Brushless motor Model: B2445 KV4200
Rotational Speed: 4200Kv (rpm/v)(rpm/v)
Power (W): 450W
Wire Winds: 6
Motor Dimensions (Diameter x Length): 24mm x 47 mm
Shaft Dimensions (Diameter x Length): 2mm x 12mm
Input Battery Types: NiCd/ Nimh/ Li-po Battery
Recommend Model: RC Model Car or Boat
Weight(g): 100
Old 11-18-2012, 03:03 PM
seehuusen

mmmmm Hobbyking has come out with a new SCT in this size, and it has some aluminium upgrade parts I'll have to have a look at fitting them up to this model too

Interestingly, the motor is pretty much identical to what I'm putting into this SCT
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 PM
seehuusen

still without an ESC, sending the second one back again... it was DOA
Old 12-18-2012, 01:01 PM
seehuusen

still waiting on HK to send me a working ESC. Now I've purchased a different model... will see how that one goes... it's been like two months since I ran this car last... not enjoying the wait, but in all fairness to HK they have swapped all faulty items out and given HK Points to redeem against another item...
Old 01-03-2013, 09:33 PM
seehuusen

new ESC arrived, then I installed it all, and the new motor is so powerful that it strips the rear diff gears!!! Awesome... but only for 10 seconds, then it's only getting front wheel drive LOL
gonna see what I can do about it, and what HK has available, the new SCT might have something I can use in this one?!?

If not, I will have to turn the timing down a fair bit... Currently it could side step/ drift with brand new tyres on tarmac! this is probably why the diff is not liking it...

When I get it back together, or know what I'm doing with it, I'll update Feel free to ask questions if you have any

Cheers
Martin
Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 AM
jessemikkelsen

Anything new on the rc car project?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM
seehuusen

hey mate, nothing much has happened, I put the car back together today actually...
I'm going to test turning down the timing way down... this aught to give me even better run times, not that 45 mins isn't enough

If that fails, I think I'll purchase the diff from the newer model, which has the metal gears (and the same motor I put into my SCT from the looks of it)

Anyone else running these? Anyone modding them too?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:03 PM
clewisperry

So i just bought one a few weeks ago. i plan to modify it in the near future as i make enough money to afford the mods., have not been driving it for a while boecause i ripped off the front wheel at pretty low speed hitting a concrete beam footing. Waiting for parts. I also want to save my battery until i get a better charger. i shopped ebay or as you call it "evilbay" lol and ended up with a counterfeit imaxB6.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:18 PM
seehuusen

sounds good mate! Show us what you get up to

I got the car back on the road yesterday, but the motor overheated and I have melted wires... not sure why, coz it should all be easy work...
Now I'm thinking of the other motor I got, but it'll have to run on 2S because of the 5500KV rating...

Still thinking of grafting the metal geared diff out of the newer model into this one, only for the rear... I'll check HK to see what they've got
Old 06-25-2013, 04:54 PM
seehuusen

dog bones are the same length in the rear, so I might get lucky... if not, and the diff is wider, there are some 50mm dog bones for the front end of the new model...
Old 08-13-2013, 08:00 PM
seehuusen

long time no update... I burned out the 2040 motor, it never really seemed to be the right size for this car... too much torque for the rear diff...

so I updated to KB20-30-18S 5200kv Brushless Motor. This motor, at that kv, was probably not rated well for 3S... but I knew that... I set the throttle to 66% and hoped for the best
It burned out in about 5 minutes of driving... but it felt very well suited to the car... just getting too hot

What do you guys recommend? I want something that doesn't get this hot, what are the reasons for a motor getting hot?
Is the gearing too high perhaps? Do I need to put a smaller cog on there perhaps, to help with weight/other restrictions?

What do you guys think?

Cheers
Martin
Old 08-13-2013, 08:07 PM
seehuusen

actually, this one looks very well suited:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_3830kv.html

3830KV 2040 sized motor... original KV on this truck was 4800kv, which I thought might be too much for the car anyway, as that original motor screamed, but got exceptionally warm...

What's the best? Get something rated higher than 3800, or is that my ticket right there? I want to run on 3s if possible
Old 08-29-2013, 07:56 AM
makya
My Feedback: (6)

I have the 16th scale buggy that shares some of the same components.

If you're wanting to run 3s, I would recommend 3500kv or lower, and smaller pinions. the problem I've had is that the 20mm motors are just a little too small for these cars if you want a lot of speed. you can have torque or speed, but not a lot of both, or you'll keep burning up motors.

I would also suggest getting a temp gun (about $10-15 from HK) to monitor the heat the motor is putting off. If you're going above 160, you need to gear down.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:26 PM
DonNYM41

I'm looking for a 4wd mini (1/14 or 1/16) with some speed but i don't see this truck on their website .
Old 09-03-2013, 02:10 AM
seehuusen

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mp_System.html
Old 09-09-2013, 01:59 AM
succar

Look my video about this car. I have already 4 cars from HK. and this is the worst.

Unboxing

after use comments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.