Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ofna Jammin CRT.5 1/12 Truggy Build Thread and E-Conversion

Next up are some pics of the front suspension (assembled by Ofna). I did notice that the servo saver is part of the steering assembly (so you have no need for one on the servo horn, which I suppose is the norm for truggies). I also noticed that the steering assembly also used bearings. Again, this was impressive to me - I know it's a "pro" kit, but for this price, it's outstanding.

Notice that the front uses CVDs as the rear did, and a longer front driveshaft was included for the longer chassis. Anti sway bars also included on the front, as you see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47703.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	1798596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fb87965.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	1798597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze85682.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	1798598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ys48640.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	1798599  
    DT02-MS | Stadium Thunder | TT Frog | TRF 801XT | CR-01 | F-150 | CRT.5 | T-Egg | Jrx2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a pic of the front suspension installed on the longer chassis (again, later the electric motor mount and esc/radio plate will be swapped in). I also flipped the truggy over and laid the shorter chassis on top, so you could see the length difference a bit better.

As stated earlier, the longer chassis plate, and supporting parts, were included all with the kit.

Name:	Ec89741.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	1798600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lg16514.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	1798601  
    DT02-MS | Stadium Thunder | TT Frog | TRF 801XT | CR-01 | F-150 | CRT.5 | T-Egg | Jrx2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Last pic for tonight is of the front shocks, assembled. They don't come assembled, and I took a pic of all the parts involved as part of the build, but the pic quality sucked, so I'm omitting it. The bottom of the shock is sealed with 2 rubber o-rings and a plastic washer/spacer, and held in with a c-clip. I used AE green slime on the o-rings, as I normally do. Shocks are aluminum and threaded, and feel very stout.

The shocks are the same size, if not bigger (wider inside diameter?) than your typical 1/10 shocks, so they're pretty beefy.

Name:	If10781.jpg 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	1798602  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Eman77

So next I decided to transfer the center diff to the new chassis plate. Here's a pic of the diff as it comes, before I removed the braking material we won't need because of the electric conversion (pads, discs, etc). I did notice that even the parts that rotate to engage the brakes were using shielded bearings. Nice!

The last pic is of the center diff installed, but later you'll see that I'll swap out one of the side diff mounts with the electric motor mount, and the top brace with a box to house the Rx.
    always loved how ofna with a $79 kit gives alum chassis, shock tower, full shielded ball bearings, and a steel drive line with CVDs where most others for 2X more you get a plastic tub, a plastic drive chain, with plastic bushings
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like the standard width for 2.2'' wheels seems to be in the 1.4 inch range after all. The tires tend to be near the 2'' width mark (depending on the tire), so I really don't think I'll have a problem with those, or other 1.4 wide wheels. I've measured my 1/10 tires and wheels at home, looked up B4 wheel widths, you name it. 1.4 seems to be the average. Not sure where you're seeing 2'' wide wheels for a standard 2.2 diameter wheel.

In fact, the stock 1/16 summit wheel is just about 1.4'' wide, with those exact tires I linked to (also 1/16 summit tires), so it's fine.

Now I just need to decide if I like the axials with that gray ring or not.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBLBW&P=0 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2956&P=0 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAEJR&P=0 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM875&P=V http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVFX&P=0 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMSY1&P=0 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCNYF&P=0 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXALEP&P=0

i thinky you get the point you were making the assumption that all 2.2s were the same, when they are clearly not.
    HELP! IM STUCK ON AN ESCALATOR!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

True, they are vastly different. Which is really, really annoying. Could be "truck" vs. "buggy" wheel widths or some such. Maybe not. Who knows.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Trying to make a decision on tires - the tire will dictate what size wheel I need, since obviously I can get anything from 1.4 to a 2 inch width for a 2.2 diameter wheel.

So I want 2.2s, and am thinking either:
    Traxxas Canyon (1/16 Summit)
    Proline Dirt Hawg IIs
    HPI Geolanders

Thoughts? Is the Traxxas tire compound worth a darn? Cool looking tire, but I'm not crazy about the compound in their Talons or Anacondas, so I'm skeptical.

Name:	Vs55929.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	1798641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xs59076.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	1798642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bg94171.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	1798643  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What parts are compatible with the. 5 crt? Are parts still readily available?
    Hpi Savage, Hpi NitroMt2
    Hpi Micro Rs4, Xray M18, MR-TC4 SD SSG, HPI Pro-4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe it shares many parts with the Ofna SCRT10, and parts seem to be very readily available through ofnawarehouse.com for the Jammin CRT.5. Go there and look for parts on that kit, you'll see a bunch plus upgrades.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think I'll either be getting these HPI Scorch rims, or the Split 5 ones.

Any idea of there are fitment issues of either on this chassis?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPYU3&P=ML
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEWZ9&P=ML

Name:	Yv65976.jpg 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	1798890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av69452.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	1798891  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went ahead and bought the Scorch wheels and Geolandar tires. Should be interesting!

Question: How are you guys securing the lid to your radio box on top of the Rx tray? Looks like maybe we should have some posts that screw in there and hold the lid on with clips, but I don't see any parts with the kit (nor have any lying around).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Second question is about electronics. I'm eyeballing a cheap Leopard BL setup made for 1/10. Thinking about 3930 KV, is that too much for this one? Another option is a 3300 KV. I'll be using 2s LiPo, want some fun speed, nothing crazy. By comparison, I have a MM 5700 setup in a 4WD buggy and I don't want anywhere near that speed. Kids will be driving it too, want it zippy but still reasonable.

By comparison, I had a 2400 KV system in my 1/10 Tamiya "truggy-type 4WD vehicle", and it was fun, but a little more top end wouldn't have hurt.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love this kit. It is such a great deal from ofna. I was amazed at its quality when I did mine about a year ago. I stuffed a Werks B6 .21 buggy engine in mine and it is a screamer (Jato Killer!). It is one of the two Nitros I will be keeping. Everything ales I have is brushless. I have been considering picking up a second kit to convert to brushless. If I do I will put one of the Castle Mamba Max Pro/Neu-Castle 1410-3800kv motor combos in it. Either that or try to stuff in a Mamba Monster sytem! What servo are you using for steering? I have a Hitec 645 on mine and it does a fine job. Nice job on yours, looking forard to seeing how you finish it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My crt.5 is arriving in the mail within the next few days. I had a great deal on Squirrel's conversion from The Toyz.

http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?showtopic=44595

I was thinking of drilling holes in the carbon fiber rx and esc top plate and mounting the savage xs or another waterproof box by drilling holes.

edit: Squirrel said some of the the Hyper10-TT looks to be compatible too.
    Hpi Savage, Hpi NitroMt2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

use a 4000kv HW 65Z EZ-run

as for the radio lid its screwed down with longer screws
    that is how it is done on the SCRT10 which that part comes from in the manual

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I love this kit. It is such a great deal from ofna. I was amazed at its quality when I did mine about a year ago. I stuffed a Werks B6 .21 buggy engine in mine and it is a screamer (Jato Killer!). It is one of the two Nitros I will be keeping. Everything ales I have is brushless. I have been considering picking up a second kit to convert to brushless. If I do I will put one of the Castle Mamba Max Pro/Neu-Castle 1410-3800kv motor combos in it. Either that or try to stuff in a Mamba Monster sytem! What servo are you using for steering? I have a Hitec 645 on mine and it does a fine job. Nice job on yours, looking forard to seeing how you finish it.
    I'm using a HiTec 645MG in mine too. Pics will be coming tonight I think. [8D]

SyCo - screws, eh? Ok then. I was hoping for a quick release type setup with clips, but I guess I'm not in the Rx all the time anyway.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yakfish

I'm using a HiTec 645MG in mine too. Pics will be coming tonight I think. [8D]

SyCo - screws, eh? Ok then. I was hoping for a quick release type setup with clips, but I guess I'm not in the Rx all the time anyway.
    yea outside installing it I think I opened it up once when I swapped the RX to my other radio.
    but hey at least its faster, and easier than the traxxas battery box's those are 4 screws, and can be a pain to assemble.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a pic of the aluminum motor mount used for the electric conversion - mounts on the right side of the truggy, the motor will sit behind it. This replaces one of the center diff mounts (the rear one). Part number is OFN40936.

Next pic is of the different rear brace that gets installed - it comes with the battery tray kit, part number OFN40946. This will allow the ESC mount to sit on top of it, so you swap it in for the existing brace.

Name:	Vt56984.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	1800040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc94310.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	1800041  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now the ESC and radio tray mount go on top of the diff mounts, and rear brace. Both of these came with the battery tray kit (part OFN40946 listed above). The radio tray has a bit that sticks out the side that you probably won't need, maybe I'll hack it off later if I don't like it.

The ESC tray sits directly on top of the side diff mounts - it actually replaces the existing top diff mount/plate.

I've also installed the steering servo just using the supplied servo mounts - no need (or room) for the servo tray it comes with.

Name:	Ki19841.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	1800042  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well there is room, but yea you have to hack it up to get the hitec servo to fit due to the wire.
    I only did it cause I figured EH Why not.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pinion time! I went for an Ofna 14T - just because. Part number OFN21306

Note that this is a 3mm shaft pinion, Mod1 pitch.

Name:	Ec89399.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	317.2 KB 
ID:	1800322  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So I'm leaning towards an EzRun ESC and Tacon motor for this - don't want to spend too much, curious about the less expensive BL setups here. I've read that the Leopard motors are a bit weak (overheat on a platform like this), hence the Tacon.

In looking, I see a dizzying array of Tacon motors:
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/ta11ofmo.html

I'm really looking for around 4000 kV, but beyond that I'm not sure of the list above. Thoughts?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didn't want to start a new thread on the crt.5 so I'll post my photos here.

I just got my crt.5 conversion in the mail and it is pretty beastly! The only problem I have is cogging between my Mamba max pro and the sc4x 4.5t.

Hpi Savage, Hpi NitroMt2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice pics! I just got mine painted, need to tint the windows and trim the body, then it's more pics time!

I'm waiting on my Rx to arrive, so my build came to a bit of a halt.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Finally an update! I got the wheels and tires mentioned above: HPI Scorch wheels and Geolandar tires, used some Tamiya Copper paint and smoke for the windows, slapped on a few decals, and here you go!

I'm using a Money Motor 19T brushed (540 size) and Losi MSC12L (lipo cutoff) I had around for now, will deal with a brushless setup later. I'm also using a FlySky GT3B 2.4GHz for a Tx and Rx. Can't wait to run this thing outside!

Name:	Ec87692.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	1805013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq51794.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	1805014   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl19322.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	1805015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fz74954.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	1805016  

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast