Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Recommend a brushless system for 1:18 HPI Mini Recon

I just ordered the 1:18 HPI mini recon and want to upgrade it to a brushless system, can somebody recommend a good one? Should I get a mamba castle or something? I'm not that familiar with them, I wouldn't know which one to get but, I hear everybody speaking highly of the castle brand.

This is another one I saw recommended:
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/hobbywing-...ess-combo.html

however that one is out of stock, but this one is available:
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/hobbywing-...r-rc-cars.html

i don't know the difference though the top one isA2 w/ 18A-SL ESC but the bottom one isA3 w/ 25A-SL ESC. what does that mean? they are both 5200kv is this a good kv range to stay in? I see some higher ones like 8000kv and 9500kv like this one -http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_1354/products_id/120569/n/Reedy-Micro-Brushless-ESC-Motor-Combo-9500kV

also will i have to upgrade anthing else once i put a brushless system in? heat sink for the motor or need to upgrade pinion or anything else?

thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Recommend a brushless system for 1:18 HPI Mini Recon

here's another - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_221_1354/products_id/71578/n/Reedy-Micro-Brushless-ESC-Motor-Combo-5000kV

i'm not sure which one to get, i want to get the best one though.

also would it be possible to put a 1/16 traxxas vxl brushless system in the 1/18 mini recon? or it would be too big?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got the 18T 18A hw setup in mine.

Warning though the recon WILL break if you hit anything with that sucker in it. And the repairs will be insane in price. I hit my recon ONCE and its repairs were at the point buying a new recon would have been cheaper due to how HPI sells the parts.

As for the other issue in your other thread sounds like the ESC took a dump. My stock ESC burst into flames the second time I used it...

I'm sad to say the mini recon is an over priced RC that another company sells for $60

http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Mega...arts_s/136.htm 90% of those parts will directly bolt on with 0 modifications. Only 2 parts that are sligtly different is the chassis, and the motor mount (why the chassis is different).

The mini recon honestly was not made for BL power, be careful your rims will shatter. Here is a list of damage from one whack (it wasn't even going 40% of its top speed) Fron A-arm snapped in half, front rim shattered (don't think that was from the hit as my other side was broke that didn't get hit too), the front shock tower snapped in half, lost the front dog bone, and the piece that holds the front arms on that mounts behind the bumper(why this is not one stronger piece astounds me) snapped off. Cost to replace from HPI as every part that should be in one bag is in separate bags with parts that have no correlation to each other* would cost $104(not counting shipping prices taken off tower). So yea $104 to fix a $109 RC which electronics blew out on 2nd run...

I fixed my recon(hell upgraded it with a full aluminum set for half of what HPI wanted for plastic), and threw on RPM arms (required a fair bit of modifications) and am scared to even run it after how much it cost to get it operational again. I went and bought a RC18b that has taken way more abuse, and broke nothing instead of running the recon again. I ended up putting the recon just as a shelf queen in the end as honestly even with all the durability upgrades I did I doubt it would come out in one piece if it hit anything as there are a few pieces I couldn't upgrade or make stronger.

BTW the VXL ESC will NOT fit in the recon, and neither would the motor as the motor is too big in every dimension. One minor thing with the HW setup you will have to dremel the motor mount a tiny bit so the motor can screw in as the HPI motor seems to use some funky can size and the motor mount is drilled for that size. its not much like 1mm tops off each side going towards the middle

*what I meant is like say the dogbone you need to buy the axles, and dogbone as a pair for $25. This is insane seeing for my 1/10th HPI's the axles cost $7 for a pair, and the dogbones cost $8 last I looked and they were made of STEEL not some flimsy plastic, and were 4X longer. Hell I paid $30 for a set of 4 HD steel dogbones for my savage in comparison...
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info. I guess I need to think about it, I may just return it instead of opening it once I get it. I wouldn't be driving it much only on the weekends and on the concrete, not going off roading etc. but, it's not to say I wouldn't accidently flip it or hit something. Right now I have a 1:24 losi micro sct, and that thing takes a lot of abuse, it will flip like crazy etc. and I've only had to change minor things here and there. I was looking for something new, that's still small so was considering the 1:18 mini recon.

however, if i'm going to wreck it just from minor hits then i don't know if it will be worth it. i really like the look of the mini recon was looking at the RC18b right now, don't really like the look but, would much rather have something more reliable. what kind of brushless system did you put in there? 

also the truck that you were saying costs 60% less is that the megatech megapro?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oh wow i didn't know the RC18b comes brushless, i think i'd much rather just get that then because it's made for brushless. it's not worth getting the mini recon and putting a brushless system in there if it's not made for it. i found a black RC18b one that looks pretty nice.

is the RC18b lipo 3s compatible? 

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcenth

oh wow i didn't know the RC18b comes brushless, i think i'd much rather just get that then because it's made for brushless. it's not worth getting the mini recon and putting a brushless system in there if it's not made for it. i found a black RC18b one that looks pretty nice.

is the RC18b lipo 3s compatible?*
    doubt 3S would depends on the motor in it
    I got an older RC18B (doubt they still are able to be found new)that uses driveshafts, you are probably looking at the RC18B2 which uses belt drive. They still use the older chassis that has shafts on the RC18M it seems, but it is probably brushed.

BTW I never drove my recon on anything other then the side walk out front just one day my servo took a dump, the recon turned into a wrought iron fence suddenly, and clipped the tire.

Do admit the recon looks kick ass though which is what sold me on it too.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

this is the one i'm looking at now - http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/RC18T2/RTR-BL/

so it's not 3s ready? i had added some upgrades to my losi 1:24 micro and i run it with 3s now without any problems. hope i can do the same to this one. i wonder how fast it goes with a 2s lipo.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

this is the one i'm looking at now -*http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/RC18T2/RTR-BL/

so it's not 3s ready? i had added some upgrades to my losi 1:24 micro and i run it with 3s now without any problems. hope i can do the same to this one. i wonder how fast it goes with a 2s lipo.
    well it has a 5000kv motor in it running that on 3S is kinda pushing the limit to the point the motor might fly apart as it would be pushing over 55,000RPM's on a fully charged lipo. You would have to find out the exact motor that is used, and check with the manufacturer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it is capable for 2s lipo correct? i saw some youtube video of it hitting 40 mph with a 2s if so that would be enough for me

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

this is the one i'm looking at now -http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/RC18T2/RTR-BL/
    well it has a 5000kv motor in it running that on 3S is kinda pushing the limit to the point the motor might fly apart as it would be pushing over 55,000RPM's on a fully charged lipo. You would have to find out the exact motor that is used, and check with the manufacturer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes its 2S capable
    cant think of many things on ground based RC's that are not 2S at minimum

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok, great! another question, is the RC18T2 and the RC18B2 the same thing except for the bodies?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok, great! another question, is the RC18T2 and the RC18B2 the same thing except for the bodies?
    pretty much if its the same as the old RC18's (without the 2) they are the same outside bodies, I think body mounts(pretty sure the truck has 4 where the buggies have 2), and tires.