Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

micro t: 3s lipo wont work at all

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 PM
roytheroach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default micro t: 3s lipo wont work at all

just installed the brushless and speed control, fully charged the 3s lipo and it wont work at all. when i plug the old battery in, i have full function, but when i plug the 3s in, it only jerks the front wheels left, no function. i can do this over and over. the battery is holding a charge, as it can spin a motor, but for some reason the servo wont register it at all. am i supposed to replace all internals for this to work?? very confused and frustrated seeing as how 90 dollars worth of upgrades rendered my 80 dollar car immobile. a lil help greatly appreciated

note:the upgrades i mentioned are the ONLY thing i have replaced. the rest is stock.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 PM
CarGuy7a

Default RE: micro t: 3s lipo wont work at all

Are you still running the 5 wire stock servo? If so unplug the servo and then see if the throttle operates normally. If it does, then you may need to run a 3 wire servo.

Also what brushless kit did you use? Part # so I can look it up.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 PM
roytheroach

1/36 brushless esc/motor combo from xcelorin: losb9595, 10250Kv

yes its the stock 5 wire servo

unplugged servo, still no throttle response.

the esc is set to:
3s lipo
normal braking
reverse yes

it is a 3s lipo.

im starting to think somethings wrong with the battery, but when i plug it directly to the old motor it spins (like a bat outta hell). my only theory is that the stock system is meant for 4.8V and the new battery is 7.2V but ive never had this problem with other RC's before.

also i know that brushless motors are meant to be used carefully. the reason most people arent getting more than 5 uses out of them is because most people dont know that brushless motors are not built for constant WOT, they dont consider that at very high RPM they are basically creating a hellstorm of arcing. the motor is meant to have its aggressive torque utilized, not high speed capabilities
Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 PM
roytheroach

when i plug the old battery in, everything works just fine. im thoroughly convinced this is an issue related to the car not being able to handle the new battery for some reason.

p.s. clicky pen springs work great as a free suspension upgrade in these little cars.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:00 PM
CarGuy7a

There actually is no arcing at all inside a brushless motor seeing as how there isn't any brushes contacting the rotor to create an arc. You can run them WOT all day if you want as long as you don't overheat the motor. Brushless motors have a much longer life span than a brushed motor would do to there not being any parts inside them that come in contact like brushes to an armature. The only thing that comes in contact are the bearings to the rotor in the end bells.

I was looking through my ESC paperwork (seeing as how I'm running that exact ESC in my Micro SCT 4wd) and it only lists it being able to run off of 4.8V NIMH up to 7.4V lipo. It doesn't say anything about 3s lipo so I'm assuming that ESC won't handle it. My micro SCT won't even run on a fully charged NIMH with that ESC it just cogs like crazy. I can slap in a charged 2s and it runs like a bat out of you know where and it's smooth as it can be. It's already wicked fast on 2s I couldn't imagine even wanting to try a 3s. Probably what your ESC is doing is maybe going into an overload protection and not letting it run correctly. I have heard some people being able to run 3s on that ESC but they also said it wasn't shortly after doing so the ESC smoked.

I just installed a set of the losi oil shocks on mine to replace the stock friction shocks. I put 10W oil in them and it's so much better. No more rear chassis slap when it lands.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM
roytheroach

i was goin off of what they told me when i lived in japan and i was building tamiya drift cars, youre probably right since you have detailed knowledge, while they just basically said "dont do it". but the fact that theres no contact inside, doesnt that mean the electricity is going through the air, therefore arcing?

the rcs is exactly why i used the pen springs, still slaps just at a much higher drop height. ill look into the shocks you mentioned, thats definitely a big help.

when i tried to find my problem on youtube all i saw was plenty of people using 3s on the micro t. its not just the throttle lost though, its the whole car, zero function with the 3s. thats with a 7.2V. even with the old motor on. all it does is quickly jerk the steering left (and back to center) and no response after. plug the old battery in, full function. but youtube shows plenty of people using 3s. one video showed that if you turn the car on with the stock battery, then switch to the 3s without moving the switch, it works, but on my car it just does the steering jerk. im getting pissed.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: roytheroach

i was goin off of what they told me when i lived in japan and i was building tamiya drift cars, youre probably right since you have detailed knowledge, while they just basically said "dont do it". but the fact that theres no contact inside, doesnt that mean the electricity is going through the air, therefore arcing?

the rcs is exactly why i used the pen springs, still slaps just at a much higher drop height. ill look into the shocks you mentioned, thats definitely a big help.

when i tried to find my problem on youtube all i saw was plenty of people using 3s on the micro t. its not just the throttle lost though, its the whole car, zero function with the 3s. thats with a 7.2V. even with the old motor on. all it does is quickly jerk the steering left (and back to center) and no response after. plug the old battery in, full function. but youtube shows plenty of people using 3s. one video showed that if you turn the car on with the stock battery, then switch to the 3s without moving the switch, it works, but on my car it just does the steering jerk. im getting pissed.
No. Brushless motors are build "reversely" of brushed motors. Instead of electricity transferring to the rotating electromagnetic coils in the core which creates magnetic fields that pushes against magnets on the outside of the can, brushless motor coils are wrapped around the outside of the can and the rotating core is a North / South pole magnet. The special ESC has to constantly shift the current between 2 of the 3 wires at any given time in order to create a rotating magnetic field. That's why a special brushless ESC is required. It shifts the current thousands of times per second in order to keep the rotor spinning.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 AM
roytheroach

im glad i know how brushless motors work now but were slightly off topic, i still have 170 dollars worth of a model car that doesnt drive and i would like it to be RC again
Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 AM
BKoz559

I checked the specs at the Losi site and it states that the Xcelorin micro system is 3S compatible (up to 11.1v). However, the instructions state that it's compatible up to 2S (7.4v). The problem you describe sounds like the ESC is shutting down into a protection feature, such as over voltage. This would also explain why the system is completely functional on a 4.8v battery. Losi apparently has contradicting information on their website but, I have always been under the impression that the micro systems can handle up to 2S. If the guys on Youtube are runnin 3S in the micro cars then they're using a different ESC which can handle the increased voltage. Can you upload a photo of your battery?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM
roytheroach

BKoz, thank you for bringing me closer to progress. i just cant find anything anywhere on how to fix it so youre my glimmer of hope here lol.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 PM
roytheroach

the battery part number is LOSB9824

figured id show the speed control too, idk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62756.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1838322   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50132.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	1838323  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM
roytheroach

THIS IS HILARIOUS. i didnt even realize it says 11.1V till i looked at the picture i took after i uploaded it to the site.

BUT THERE MAY BE A WAY.

rc helicopters often use voltage stepdown regulators. i found one for less than the cost of a new battery. it will step it down to 6v. (the link is for the 5v as i have not found the 6v model that someone mentioned exists)

http://www.aeromicro.com/catalog/koo...5v_3982367.htm

its a little big, but i just need to find a body that will fit it under. the speed control already deemed the "trophy truck" body useless, i dont know if they have any other bodies for the micro t, i heard something about a vw beetle body that makes a lot more space. ill look now for the body.

any advice about the voltage regulator before i spend money on it?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 PM
BKoz559

Those regulators are also known as "external BEC's" or "Battery Eliminator Circuits." They are small power supplies used to provide power for the vehicles onboard electronics. Typically you use those in "normal" sized vehicles where you may have servos that draw more current than the ESC can provide. Or the vehicle has other accessories that draw power like lights for example.

This device won't provide throttle control. Unless you're considering wiring it between the battery and the ESC; that would theoretically work. I can't say one way or the other as I've never tried it before.

Won't it just be simpler to purchase a 7.4v micro LiPo and call it good?

The VWbody you speak of was produced for the Micro Baja which has been discontinued because Losi never had a license from VW. Or that's the story that goes around. You can find them online and because of the dome shape, they do have more room.

I know this is cheap and quality may be questionable but Iam probably going to order this battery for my Micro. You would have to change the connectors to match.
Or there's this Dynamite pack which already has the Losi plug on it.

I've never seen one of the micro 11.1v packs. Is that for one of those little helicopters or something?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:35 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why don't u buy the newer style program card, and set the LVD for 3s???? Or am I missing something?

Seriously I wouldent recomend plunging in a lipo with out setting up the LVD, that's just asking for problems.

Answer this honestly, did u read the instructions?

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB9375
That's the new card, losi just haven't updated there pic of it but u can see the updated card in the pic below.
Notice it has a extra plug for the jumper that's the closest in the pic? that's for 3s.
In that pic it's set to nimh. After that there is 2s then 3s

Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 PM
BKoz559

Good point but, when I reviewed Losi's site I found conflicting information. One section says it's 3S compatible but the instructions say up to 2S. I'm not sure which to go with.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:20 AM
phmaximus

Trust me it is 3s capable, I've got the same esc in a micro SCT.

If u are still in doubt there is a few YouTube videos that go through the features of the program card.

Good luck, hope he gets it sorted
Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Dialed_In

Check the voltage on your fully charged lipo with a multimeter and report back. What charger are you using? Is the 3s lipo new or used?

Probably not relevant but what transmitter, receiver and servo are you using?

Please be specific with your answers.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: Dialed_In

Check the voltage on your fully charged lipo with a multimeter and report back. What charger are you using? Is the 3s lipo new or used?

Probably not relevant but what transmitter, receiver and servo are you using?

Please be specific with your answers.

I'm 100% sure it's because he is using a 3s lipo in the nimh setting... Only the newer style cards have the jumper for 3s
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Dialed_In

ORIGINAL: phmaximus
I'm 100% sure it's because he is using a 3s lipo in the nimh setting... Only the newer style cards have the jumper for 3s
That could be true. I have a used micro DT from about 2 years ago and it came with the 3s programming card so they have been out a while.

His 3s lipo also looks a bit rough. It could be old or used or the over discharge protection could be kicking in. Heck, I've read about people charging their lipos with the stock battery powered nimh chargers. I was just trying to cover all the bases with my questions.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 AM
phmaximus

good idea to cover all bases but he hasent been online since the 8th MIA for 2 weeks...