Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Savage XS SS Help

Hi Guys,
    Hope somebody can help.
    After many months of research and saving I am just about to indulge in my first 'decent' RC car - the Savage XS SS.
    I have build a few Tamiya kits in the past and played with a variety of different cars at all levels but I know next to nothing about the technical aspects of what is involved. Looking forward to learning though!!
    From the info I have gathered, the following set up is what I am leaning towards:
    Servo:re"> SAVOX SC-1258 TG Digital Coreless Servo Standard Size 12KG SC10
    Motor & ESC:re"> HOBBYWING EZRUN 3656 4700KV RC Brushless Motor & WP SC8 120A ESC
    Radio:re"> Flysky FS-GT3B 2.4G 3CH Transmitter + Receiver
    Batteries:re"> Gens Ace 5800mah 45c 2s hard case
    I will set the gearing to 24/60.
    I intend to stick with 2S, so my first question is whether the motor is too much? Or should I go for something lower, Say 4000KV?
    The intention is to bash mainly on light gravel (crap tarmac!) and grass and maybe the occasion skate park, flipping & jumping, etc.
    I am not afraid of speed, just blowing up the engine!
    What is an acceptable temperature for the battery, ES & motor?
    Second question is what diff oil & shock oil should I use? From what I can gather most people use 10000k in the front & 3000k in the rear. Not sure about the shocks. What do you guys recommend? The other thing I don't understand about the oil is that here in the UK the oil number are in the region of 30wt (60cc) not 30000! Is this the same thing?
    For tyres I was going to keep stock tyres for road and get something like Proline Badlands or Dirt Paws for grass/gravel. If the stock tyres are really that bad, what would be best for road?
    Is a wheelie bar necessary?
    Anything else you can suggest?
    I want to get this set up right at the start and they once I am comfortable with how it works will experiment.
    Thanks for the help guys!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Savage XS SS Help

Not sure that the motor you selected is gonna fit on the flux xs,

You should stick to a 3650 size motor, 4000kv or lower,

I ran a toro 3900 3650 motor the power and speed was great but it would overheat and shut down temporary every run,

So I switched it for a castle 3650 3800kv the difference in speed and power is night and day
    The motor never gets above warm to the touch now,

The stock tires are rubbish and get no grip on any surface so a wheelie bar is not nesessary

I fitted Carson 1/10 v tread truck tires with spikes moulded, also fitted a wheelie bar as its now needed,

Here's a pic before I installed the hpi xs wheelie bar

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56495.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	1847098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oh13654.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	1847099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pr25722.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	1847100  
    Its me is that you?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the repsonse!

There are many postings around the web recomending the EZRUN 3656, but maybe Iwill go for the lower 4000kv.

What is an acceptable temperature for the electronics?

What are your thoughs about the oils?

Cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The shock oil that comes with the kit will do just fine,

It's a basher after all, and the ss kit alloy shock run real smooth with the stock oil, not too stiff,
    Just right to soak up the bumps,

I'd recommend changing the tires from the start,
    I almost lost interest in my xs as the stock tires are that bad they get no grip worth talking about,

On electronics heat range, anything over 80 degree C is risking wrecking the motor,

If your motor is has too much kv it will over heat and fast,

Look at a motor around the 3800kv range,

the stock xs rtr 4000kv motor are known to overheat,
    although they are made by castle creations the build quality isn't as good as the castle own branded 3800kv motor,

I've not even checked, but if toro do sell a 3800kv I'd go with that as a cheap great power motor,

The toro 3900 is just a little too much kv so this leaves it heating up quite a bit toward the end of the 5200mah 2s pack,

Also a 60A esc is all the esc you will need, even if you were to run the truck on 3s,

This is the esc I'm running in mine http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Its me is that you?