Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Newbie..... 1/16th brushless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Amdathlonuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie..... 1/16th brushless?

Hi All!

Please be gentle with me.....newbie 41 year old here.

Anyway, I have just aquired a couple of 1/16th electric trucks.

Ripmaxx Husky and a Jackal.

Anyway my motor has burned out and I've been looking at replacing it with a brushless instread?

it currently has a brushed 370x motor in with no ESC.

Can I just purchase a brushless and ESC combo (as below) and fit them straight in?

I believe my truck has a standard 2 channel receiver.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270900243287

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie..... 1/16th brushless?

I would look at 1/18 scale brushless setups around 4000kv to 5700kv.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 PM
diabolic-mind

to add, id suggest going with something more well known, as i have never heard of that brand. castle or mamba is always a good bet, highly popular brands, granted a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for in this hobby, might as well invest in some good gear that will surely please!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those are 1/18th scale RC's

the BL setup you linked is for an airplane

A Hobbywing 18A setup should work fine. In my recon(1/18th scale truck that looks very close) I had a 5200kv(18T) motor in it with the 18A HW ESC, and it ran fine till I smacked the truck into a pole, and pretty much totaled the truck [:@]

From what I see though the ESC, and receiver are combined in the truck so you will need a new radio also
I hate it when places do that

ORIGINAL: diabolic-mind

to add, id suggest going with something more well known, as i have never heard of that brand. castle or mamba is always a good bet, highly popular brands, granted a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for in this hobby, might as well invest in some good gear that will surely please!
He's in the UK. Europe has many brands we never heard of in the states, as well as we got brands they don't have.
Looking at its pictures it don't look like a bad lil RC for the cash. Hell it can't be worst then the HPI recon durability wise which costs a quite a bit more.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Amdathlonuk

Hi guys.

Thanks for your replies.
Yes. I'm in the UK. Haven't had an RC for about 20 years.....wow they've moved on a bit!

Anyway the truck was about $100 in US money so it wasn't expensive.

So w have at I'm hearing I'll also need a new receiver as it doesn't have ESC capability? 

I might just splash out on a rtr brushless.....
Old 04-04-2013, 08:30 AM
diabolic-mind

i would suggest taking a look at this truck, ive heard alot of good things about it, and the price is low. you need to add your own radio and reciever along with a lipo, but those can also be gotten rather cheap right from hobby king. ill post a link for the truck and a video of it for you to check out. i might end up getting one myself. stock setup has really nice speed.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mp_System.html

http://youtu.be/lmgDkqQaGYQ
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Amdathlonuk

i would suggest taking a look at this truck, ive heard alot of good things about it, and the price is low. you need to add your own radio and reciever along with a lipo, but those can also be gotten rather cheap right from hobby king. ill post a link for the truck and a video of it for you to check out. i might end up getting one myself. stock setup has really nice speed.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mp_System.html

http://youtu.be/lmgDkqQaGYQ
Wow..........just had a look and it's really quite nippy!

Hobbyking are now in the UK also $60 is only £40!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
diabolic-mind

yeah, most people say that for the cost it is really the best bang for the buck. ive read a few cases of the brushless motor dieing prematurely, axles snapping, and that the suspension isnt the best, but realistically for how cheap it is you cant expect it to be perfect, and its still a really decent truck to start out with. later on should you decide you wanted to you could very easily find upgrade shocks, a arm, the whole nine yards for it and be saving alot of money on the initial cost of a truck. its not a matter of if i get one, just a matter of when. ive already got a dsm radio so all i need is a dsm reciever and a lipo and im good to go
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

problem with the HK truck is parts support
to get parts you will have to go over to Stonehenge on the vernal equinox, slaughter some sheep, and while bathing in the fresh blood pray to some gods that times forgotten the names of in some pagan ritual for parts to repair it or so I hear...
seriously though read their parts support sucks its basically break it chuck it type deal as nothing is compatible with them

side note if you just want to fix the one you got
cheap radio (own one from the OEM can't beat it for the price) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17555
cheap ESC and motor (no idea how good it is) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...m_4300kv_.html

check the servo if its 3 wires you are good cause I just remembered alot of those all in one ESC/radio also have proprietary servos. If its 4 or 5 wires you will need a cheap servo
if you need a servo this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_0_07sec.html SHOULD fit if the servo is the same size as the ones in my 1/18ths. you should measure it just to be sure as the dimensions are listed on that page. Can't comment on how good it is though as I'll be honest I only use HK's batteries.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:25 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its too bad, If they had a good supply of parts I would buy them.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:18 PM
diabolic-mind

you know what i really miss, and you guys will probably laugh at me for saying this, but my megatech propulse, that truck with the dual motor upgrade and a lipo was a absolute beast! id love to get my hands on that thing again! i was shocked to find a boat load of parts at my local hobby shop for it the other day, they were tucked away in a somewhat hidden location.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

you know what i really miss, and you guys will probably laugh at me for saying this, but my megatech propulse, that truck with the dual motor upgrade and a lipo was a absolute beast! id love to get my hands on that thing again! i was shocked to find a boat load of parts at my local hobby shop for it the other day, they were tucked away in a somewhat hidden location.

Mega tech megapro/propulse http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Mega...p/mtsv-107.htm

parts http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Mega...arts_s/136.htm

HPI recon http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBNKT&P=ML
Recon is literally the same damn RC just with a very slight difference where the motor mounts, nicer looking body, crappy brittle rims that shatter if you look at them the wrong way, a basic 2.4ghz radio, and a huge HPI logo tax added on(the HPI branded parts cost 10X more than the OEM ones too...). The pro-pulses motor mount is WAY better than the piece of crap HPI used. Outside that every piece fits on the recon. Megapro with a flysky radio, and a nice body would be a better option IMO though.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:11 AM
diabolic-mind

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Mega tech megapro/propulse http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Mega...p/mtsv-107.htm

Recon is literally the same damn RC just with a very slight difference where the motor mounts, nicer looking body, crappy brittle rims that shatter if you look at them the wrong way, a basic 2.4ghz radio, and a huge HPI logo tax added on(the HPI branded parts cost 10X more than the OEM ones too...). The pro-pulses motor mount is WAY better than the piece of crap HPI used. Outside that every piece fits on the recon. Megapro with a flysky radio, and a nice body would be a better option IMO though.

well, i must say its nice to see that someone else also liked the propulse!i loved mine, honestly wish i never got rid of it

Old 04-05-2013, 08:47 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

well, i must say its nice to see that someone else also liked the propulse! i loved mine, honestly wish i never got rid of it

well I owned the recon not the actual pro-pulse. The recon which for all intents and purposes IMO is not fit for sale as like I said hpi made it a pile of crap with brittle parts, and ludicrously expensive replacements. My recon hit 1 pole on its 2nd run (not even full speed) shattered a rim(might have been shattered prior as 2 other rims that hit nothing were cracked all over but the one that hit the spokes actually broke off), broke an a-arm, broke a shock tower, broke the little piece that holds the A-arm on in the front, and lost a spring. HPI's cost to repair if I bought their parts bags $100 or so + shipping(not counting the rim which they were charging $20 for the tires)... on a RC that I paid $109 for... The ESC went poof the 2nd time I turned it on that repair price also don't count the servo crapped out which is why I hit the pole while I was doing a speed run, I did a minor correction, and it the servo threw itself fully the opposite direction.
I've fixed up the recon though outfitted with pro-pulse aluminum upgrades (how I know all but the motor mount fit), modded RPM RC18 arms to fit it with steel adjustable links, and got a 1/10th scale rim conversion to hold tamiya on-road sedan rims on it with rally tires mounted(same size as the stock tires). Never got around to running it since the repair though, but all the upgrades still cost less than HPI wanted in parts to return it to crap stock setup though.

Design wise though the pro-pulse was great. Just wish they had a metal upgrade for the piece that holds the a-arm on(that the bumper screws through). I made one for the front out of t-3 alum but would have likes a more professional job as my hand made one is very rough

After that someone asked me what I wanted for a present and they got me a RC18b(the original shaft one). Will say its a great buggy which so far has taken way more abuse than the recon as I've slammed it into more things than you can imagine screwing around jumping it off things, and worth the extra cash AE wanted over the recon.

I've been tempted to buy an actual propulse for my little nephew to play around with though as I heard they are a lil tougher than the recon.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:38 PM
diabolic-mind

lol, i had a rc18r, loved that car, thing was a beast, as for the propulse being tough, i can vouch for that, i pounded the crap out of mine, i think i only ever broke a arms and snapped a few axles (running the dual motors). it was a tough truck, the a arms were a softer semi flexible plastic which seemed to give rather than just snap, i repeatedly jump that truck of some massive ramps and off the porch over 10 stairs, took it like a champ. if your nephew isnt bashing it i think it would hold up rather nicely, just driving it around on blacktop and grass and dirt it would be a perfect truck.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:47 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

lol, i had a rc18r, loved that car, thing was a beast, as for the propulse being tough, i can vouch for that, i pounded the crap out of mine, i think i only ever broke a arms and snapped a few axles (running the dual motors). it was a tough truck, the a arms were a softer semi flexible plastic which seemed to give rather than just snap, i repeatedly jump that truck of some massive ramps and off the porch over 10 stairs, took it like a champ. if your nephew isnt bashing it i think it would hold up rather nicely, just driving it around on blacktop and grass and dirt it would be a perfect truck.
knowing him he would jump it off the kitchen table, or off their deck into concrete.
hell like 2 years ago he pulled a pedal powered car up into his house, and drove it down the stairs landing up in the hospital. Doctor said to him something like So I bet you won't be doing that again right? he said yup he would do it again cause it was fun while laughing. Just to give a little insight to the kind of kid he is lol
Old 04-06-2013, 02:32 PM
diabolic-mind

lol wow, well the propulse does have decent durability, worth a shot with it with him. id suggest some supervised driving sessions with it though, just to be on the safe side. went out for some bashing today with my buddy and he had his rc18t brushless, and that thing took some severe punishment, at one time it did atleast 50 cartwheels in one crash where he topped it out (id guess atleast 45-50mph) and the truck landed back on all four and drove away from it without a scratch, def a tough truck