Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Lightbulb Cheap Rat-Rod Conversion Project

Hi, I recently started getting into RC cars after seeing other peoples videos online and decided to give it a go.

I had been looking for Rat rod inspired RC cars, but as you may guess there is barely anything out there aside from really pricey kits or custom builds. I wasn't looking for anything over the top since I'm probably just going to race in indoors anyway or at the office

So I went to my local store today and got myself a Swann Stinger 1/32 Micro?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	1968536

It was pretty cheap and considering what I payed, this little ******* is pretty fast and drives quite nicely. Here are the specs.

Here's what I want to do:

I am building a rat rod body to replace this existing body, flushed almost all the way to the ground to get a low suspension look. Circa 1930's.

I am going to replace the tires for better grip on hard floors. The stock tires are made out of foam. The handle well on rough terrain but not so much on flat/polished surfaces.

This is my staring point:

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	49 
Size:	551.5 KB 
ID:	1968538

Question:

Is there any way I can upgrade the battery to get more play time out of it? The car is really fast, I'm not looking to make it faster, but rather make it last longer. RIght now I'm only getting 10 mins at a time between charges.

Thanks!

Disassembly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	35 
Size:	682.7 KB 
ID:	1968539  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I like your project idea, is the truck a die cast model ?
    That's really gonna look good.
    Hillbilly Racer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Your best bet for your truck mite be to buy some rechargeable aaa's and swap them out when they run down.
    Hillbilly Racer

Quote Originally Posted by Smiff 24 View Post
    I like your project idea, is the truck a die cast model ?
    That's really gonna look good.

Thanks, I really hope so. I've been wanting to do this for a while now. I'm thinking about giving it that rusty look as well, but we'll see how it starts coming along.

yes, the truck is a die cast model. I think it's going to work out perfect because it's a little heavier than the stock body so it should help it not spin out when you take off with full throttle. Also the wheels it came with have rubber tires, if I can make them fit on the rc's axle it should give it a really nice grip on solid floors.

ill post the progress as I go, for those interested.

As for the batteries. That might be a good idea. How are the lipos compared to normal aaa batteries, as far as battery life goes?

thanks!

Swaped the tires and extended the frame. Now it's definitely sitting lower!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	717.3 KB 
ID:	1968733   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	592.8 KB 
ID:	1968734  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The electronics couldn't take a lipo as the voltage is quite a bit higher then AAA's
    one AAA is 1.5volts (1.2 is rechargeable) a lipo 1 cell is 3.7volts nominal (4.2V fully charged)
    Lipos are sold as #S where which translates to how many cells like 2S is 7.4V(8.4V fully charged), 3S is 11.1, etc...

I've tried using lipos on RC's that use AAA's to no great effect. Only thing I could suggest is buying a cheap brushed 20a ESC off ebay, a cheap servo, and a cheap radio then modify the RC to work. Looking at the RC it doesn't sem too hard as the steering you could reroute to a servo it you mount it on top of where the current steering is. But it still would be a bit of work. That is if you want to go lipo though.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You could get custom 1000mah AAA NiMh packs made in any configuration here. Relatively inexpensive too.

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/cus...s.aspx?mid=789
    Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 02-17-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub