Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 7 of 7

  1. #1

    1/64 RC cars recommendations

    Hello all,

    I'm new to the hobby of RC cars, but I'm looking to get into it. I want to get 4+ 1/64 size RC cars so that I can build a badass track, drink a little and race em with some friends. I like the size of the 1/64 because it makes it easier for me to make a track built for them. I joined here so that I can get some advice from more experienced people. I have a bunch of questions and I'm hoping someone could help me out.

    My first thought is, how many rc cars can I run at the same time? (I'm guessing that each rc car would run on a specific frequency, I'm not sure if this is adjustable, or if it is a range that we are dealing with)

    What are the best and most economical 1/64 rc cars? ( I don't want to spend too much money, but I don't want to get crap cars.)

    I have seen cars like the zipzap rc cars. These would work, but the controllers look super cheesy. It looks like the steering is left or right. Do they make 1/64 cars that have variable controls? where I can turn slightly or sharply based off how much I'm pushing on the control. That is what I'm looking for.

    I have plenty of more questions, but I will leave it at that and see what I get in responses. Please only comment if you have some good information or recommendations. I'm going to be researching in the mean time. Thanks for any help!!!

    I look forward to getting my first cars and track setup!!!

  2. #2
    cumminspower5.9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    horseheads, NY
    Posts
    2,572
    As far as RC cars that small, I haven't seen any "hobby grade". I think the smallest hobby grade is 1/32. Most new RC's have a 2.4GHz radio, so no interference there.
    -Aerodynamics and turbos are for people who can't build motors.

    Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by cumminspower5.9 View Post
    As far as RC cars that small, I haven't seen any "hobby grade". I think the smallest hobby grade is 1/32. Most new RC's have a 2.4GHz radio, so no interference there.
    What exactly is hobby grade?

    Also, what is it about the 2.4 GHz radio; does this mean that I could have unlimited RC cars going?

    I could probably deal with 1/32 size rc cars. They are still pretty small (fit in your hand). Thanks for the comment!

  4. #4
    cumminspower5.9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    horseheads, NY
    Posts
    2,572
    This is what I consider hobby grade...http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Truck-RTR-Grey This is just an example. Others may have different opinions. It has replaceable parts, upgrades, and is one of the major brands on the RC hobby.

    A 2.4GHz radio is a new frequency that was introduced into the hobby not too long ago. It got rid of crystals, and allowed multiple people to run without interference. Very reliable system.
    -Aerodynamics and turbos are for people who can't build motors.

    Ofna LX2e-4s
    Axial SCX10 Jeep
    T-Maxx 2.5

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by discoveringmypath View Post
    ...I have seen cars like the zipzap rc cars. These would work, but the controllers look super cheesy. It looks like the steering is left or right. Do they make 1/64 cars that have variable controls? where I can turn slightly or sharply based off how much I'm pushing on the control. That is what I'm looking for...
    The ZipZap cars that would give your proportional-like steering and throttle were the ZipZaps SE line of cars. I've been in search of the same myself, and have recently purchased several from eBay as RadioShack stopped selling these years ago. I warn you that they can be buggy, and there is a good chance that the internal rechargeable battery has corroded and will need replacement. These run on 27Mhz, but the controller (while mounted for charging) allows the user to select from 1 of 6 available sub channels, so up to six cars can run together. Run time on a single 45 second charge is a couple of minutes. You can double charge for greater run times, but I suggest you do this only if your familiar with battery capacity, charge rates/levels, etc.

    The non-SE ZipZaps can also be fun, but as you know do not provide the proportional controls the SE line does. The good think about the non-SE ZipZaps is that they seem to be a bit less glitchy, and sourcing a replacement battery is much easier. The downside is that they were only made on two frequencies, 27 and 49mhz.

    For currently produced 1/64ish scale toy-grade rc cars you could look at the coke-can cars. These cars have excellent run times, are quick and have proven reliable for me. They are also offered in 4 or 5 frequencies. Unfortunately they do not offer proportional control. If you're interested, I can post a photos of any of the above mentioned cars. I also have several Bit Char-G cars which are similar to the non-SE ZipZaps but a tad smaller.

    Hope this helps, and hope I didn't overstep for a first time post!

  6. #6
    Thanks for the comments guys.

    I originally wanted smaller cars, but I think I've found something small enough with the features that I want. I like the Losi 1/24 Rally cars. I've watched a bunch of videos with them and I like the look and movement of them.

    Cumminspower5.9 -- I went through the site you gave me and that is where I found the Losi rally cars. There looks to be two options for them. One at $109 and one that is $149. It looks like the the more expensive one has brushless systems and they use a .4GHz radio system. The other one has a 27MHz radio and I'm not sure what kind of motor it has. I'm leaning towards the more expensive one's.

    Although, I'm not final on what I want just yet, these are definitely on the list.

    If anyone has any suggestions regarding these rc cars or other similar ones please let me know. I would prefer a smaller size maybe 1/32 or 1/43 or even 1/64 but I'm still searching for what would work.


    Again, my goal is to setup a homemade track where I could run 4 or more vehicles at a time. the smaller the better.

    Domer99 -- Ya the more and more I look into rc mini cars the more and more I'm leaning away from the zipzap type cars. They look kind of cheesy and I want a little bit more running time than 2 minutes. I'm sure they are still fun though. I might pick one up for my daughter to play with while I have other ones.

  7. #7
    SyCo_VeNoM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    chicago, IL
    Posts
    12,288
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by domer99 View Post
    The ZipZap cars that would give your proportional-like steering and throttle were the ZipZaps SE line of cars. I've been in search of the same myself, and have recently purchased several from eBay as RadioShack stopped selling these years ago. I warn you that they can be buggy, and there is a good chance that the internal rechargeable battery has corroded and will need replacement. These run on 27Mhz, but the controller (while mounted for charging) allows the user to select from 1 of 6 available sub channels, so up to six cars can run together. Run time on a single 45 second charge is a couple of minutes. You can double charge for greater run times, but I suggest you do this only if your familiar with battery capacity, charge rates/levels, etc.

    The non-SE ZipZaps can also be fun, but as you know do not provide the proportional controls the SE line does. The good think about the non-SE ZipZaps is that they seem to be a bit less glitchy, and sourcing a replacement battery is much easier. The downside is that they were only made on two frequencies, 27 and 49mhz.

    For currently produced 1/64ish scale toy-grade rc cars you could look at the coke-can cars. These cars have excellent run times, are quick and have proven reliable for me. They are also offered in 4 or 5 frequencies. Unfortunately they do not offer proportional control. If you're interested, I can post a photos of any of the above mentioned cars. I also have several Bit Char-G cars which are similar to the non-SE ZipZaps but a tad smaller.

    Hope this helps, and hope I didn't overstep for a first time post!
    You so overstepped you should be ashamed of yourself...

    j/k


    Yea I've tried the zip-zaps not that long ago, and honestly I didn't like them thought the Tomy Bit Charges were built better. Run time was 5-6 mins from what I remember, and they charged in like 45 seconds. I used to race em with a few other people I worked with around the office I worked in like 13 years ago before the boss would show up we would set up ramps using binders desk to desk, and jump em

    But will say they did have their share of issues, and there were a lot of aftermarket parts for them, doubt they are as easy to find now though, and most would be old stock so the bateries would be shot, and need replacing in the vehicles.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:56 AM.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.