Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

best 2.4ghz RTR mini/micro starter

hey guys, im a long time RC addict and engineer/build full scale race cars for a living. I want to buy a 1/16 or 1/18 car to drive inside with my little boy. here are the requirements:

1/16 or 1/18 scale - no loyalty to associated, HPI, traxxas, losi or otherwise
    4wd - belt preferred (easier to setup for CS drifting later)
    slipper clutch
    would like to have an SC18 body on it (my son loves desert trucks)
    would also like to be able to use touring car wheels/tires (to drift inside my shop)
    decent parts availability...

It's no problem to upgrade diffs, bearings, axles, etc. I was considering an RC18T2, SC18 (but its shaft and meh reviews), thanks for any help/suggestions! **IGNORE THE RTR PART IN TITLE** thanks
    Last edited by full-race geoff; 03-25-2014 at 11:42 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by full-race geoff View Post
    hey guys, im a long time RC addict and engineer/build full scale race cars for a living. I want to buy a 1/16 or 1/18 car to drive inside with my little boy. here are the requirements:

1/16 or 1/18 scale - no loyalty to associated, HPI, traxxas, losi or otherwise
    4wd - belt preferred (easier to setup for CS drifting later)
    slipper clutch
    2.4ghz radio
    would like to have an SC18 body on it (my son loves desert trucks)
    would also like to be able to use touring car wheels/tires (to drift inside my shop)
    decent parts availability...

It's no problem to upgrade diffs, bearings, axles, etc. I was considering an RC18T2, SC18 (but its shaft and meh reviews), thanks for any help/suggestions!

I think your on the right track.. I think the RC18T2 is a good buy.. Theres lots of upgrade parts avail for it. Ive read mixed reviwes myself on the belt drive.. Considering getting one myself in fact. I also like the Latrax teton (made by traxxas) its $149
    http://latrax.com/teton18-overview.htm

The dromida is also a good buy at 99 bucks: http://www.dromida.com/mt418.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    the only reason people don't like the 18t is because it has been around for about 8 years unchanged. there also isn't another 18th scale out there that handles as well, has the aftermarket support, and can go brushless without having to beef it up.

the 18t2 is a good racer, but isn't as durable in my opinion as the 18t, as it needs more maintenance and some guys (myself included) have had issues with the belt wear and tear.
    I've had several mini's over the years, losi, associated, hpi, Dromida, Turnigy, and out of all of them, I've had my 18t the longest, then my turnigy 4wd stadium truck.

The Dromida is fun, but it doesn't handle the way that the associated, or the Losi mini's do. If you're planing on doing some on-road also, I would suggest either the rc18r (rally), because of the parts support to turn it into anything you want, or the LaTrax rally as it shares parts with the LaTrax teton, so you can turn it into an off roader, if that's what the kiddo likes.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    hi makya - thanks for the input. I really like the RC18 also, but considering a turnigy 4wd also. did you have this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._SCT_RTR_.html

or this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ruck_RTR_.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have the 1/18th stadium truck. I really enjoy it, although it comes with friction shocks and bushings at the wheels. once I replaced the shocks with some from a Losi Mini, it handled a lot better, and steers as well as the associated.

I did have the 1/16th turnigy buggy, which is what the 1/16th trooper is based on, and it is a much better car than just about any 1/18th Ive driven. However, with it's low profile and suspension settings, it is a better track car, or rally than a basher for gravel or dirt.