Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Mini 8ight: What else needed for lipo upgrade?

Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Mini 8ight: What else needed for lipo upgrade?

Old 04-12-2014, 11:34 AM
kaianuanu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mini 8ight: What else needed for lipo upgrade?

So I got a mini 8ight and I love it. It really is the car I've always wanted. I've been running it the stock batt HARD, and I've definitely seen a large decrease in the battery's performance already. So I ordered a turnigy accucell 6, three "zippy flightmax" 2s 1800mah 20c batts, one 3s 1500mah 25-50c pack, and a few other odds and ends off hobby king. I also rigged up a 300w computer power supply to run the accucell on, if I have issues, I can run it on a marine battery or something until I get a better power supply. But, I had a few questions, mostly about how the car will handle the extra power. FYI, I drive pretty punchy on the throttle, my tires were bald in a few days of driving on the street. And my 8ight is pretty much all stock still. That being said, how worried should I be about overheating with the 2s 1800's or the 3s 1500? Will the fact that the 3s 1500 pack is 25-50c be an issue, it shouldn't right? Also, the stock aluminum spur got a little chewed up and I threw on an old associated 12 tooth steel pinion I had from an old mini-t back in the day, should I get a different pinion to make life easier on the motor? If so how many teeth would you recommend? Also, I'm thinking I'll probably get a little 280 heat sink to throw on the motor, should I invest in one with a fan? I know the chassis gets rid of a lot of heat from the motor but I figured it can't hurt. I was planning on cutting a little roof scoop in the body to get some air on the esc's heat sink, cause it does get pretty warm on just the stock pack, will this be enough to keep her cool? Oh, I also bought a low voltage alarm that plugs into balancing cables, will I be able to run the car till the esc cuts off the battery or the alarm goes off, or should I still be timing the runs? Is there anything else I should be worried about when dropping these new lipos in this car? Forgot to mention that getting the batteries to fit shouldn't be an issue.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you want to make another power supply on the cheap http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27554 that will powere like 5 chargers full blast (I've ran 3 chargers at once). I'll be honest I tried using a normal PC power supply, and even though the 12v side was rated like 13A's on the one I used after the charge rate was set to 4 amps it blew out. You won't have that issue though with that size of batteries as they generally get charged at 2 amps or under.

As for upgrades hmm if the ESC is brushless already (I'm guessing it is) make sure you set the ESC for lipo mode, andsee if you can set the LVC. Personally I set my LVC's usually to 3.2-3.4 volts per cell to give leeway. The Lipo alarms will usually kick in when a cell his 3.4 volts, and make a loud sound.

As for gearing you should get a cheap temp gun (duratrax has one for like $23) and monitor your temps if it doesn't exceed 150 degree's I'd not worry you only have to worry once it hits 180ish as that is when they usually fly apart. Gearing all depends on where you run it. Like for me if I run a RC on the street, or dirt the motor might run cool, but once it hits the grass might overheat due to the extra force it needs to push the RC.