Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Associated Electric RC18MT running issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:53 PM
Nashh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Associated Electric RC18MT running issues

Hello folks,
My son's RC18MT is having running issues. When suspended in air the motor works fine and wheels move too. But on ground the truck moves very slowly. The motor revs up. I live outside US and wish to fix up the problem by getting the appropriate part. The truck is all stock. Kindly let me know which part I need to get to fix the truck.

Thanks for reading and helping me out.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Kenmtb

Sounds like the brushes in the motor are bad. I do not think the brushes replaceable so you may have to replace the motor. Before replacing the motor, check for loose wires and connections. Make sure your battery is fully charged. Then check to see if there are any blinking lights on the esc. If so, the esc may be bad. I have had a bad esc but that made the motor stutter badly when the truck was placed on the ground.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:56 PM
Nashh

Hi Kenmtb,

thanks for for the reply. I replaced the stock motor with a similar one and it's working fine. Will check up the esc as well, currently not in town. But I think it is all right too. How about the differentials ? Do you think that is where the problem is ? Or is it any gears ? Have no clue whatsoever !

Anyways, thanks a lot for your time and information.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Kenmtb

I am not sure if meant the motor was revving up when the truck is on the ground. If the motor seems to run fine but the truck is not moving then something may be broken between the motor and wheels. It would be hard to diagnose a problem without seeing the truck. If the motor seems strong on the ground and there is no loud stripping sound then you may have to tighten up your front and/or rear diffs as they may be slipping. You will need to refer to a manual:http://www.teamassociated.com/manuals/RC18MT/

If the truck makes a loud grinding noise, you may have a stripped part somewhere. Try to look over the external drive train for loose of broken parts. If that is ok, I would put the truck on a carpet with 3 wheels touching and try to move one wheel against the other 3. The wheel you are trying to move will put pressure on the drive train to identify a stripped or loose part between each wheel and each diff. Then put the front wheels on the ground and try to move both back wheels together to see if something is bad between the front diff and motor,. The do the same thing with the rear wheels on the ground. The idea is to try to isolate any broken parts by putting pressure on the drivetrain. If you feel something is stripped, then you can remove covers and search for the bad part.

If everything is good in the drive train, then remove the spur gear cover and check the spur and pinion gear condition.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Nashh

Thanks for the reply, yes your suggestion is much appreciated. Guess that's the only way to identify the problem. Will try that once and keep you updated.