Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

RC18 RTR vs RC18 KIT question? Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Darion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC18 RTR vs RC18 KIT question? Thanks!

Hi all! I have been reading about the RC18 platform and have a question, is there any reason to buy the RTR or Kit over the other? I realize the RTR is assembled and has a radio, controller and motor and that the Kit is not assembled and comes with nothing other than the chassis/body. My question is more about the parts that the KIT ships with compared to the RTR. Is one advantaged over the other. For example I notice that the KIT has metal shocks, RTR composite. Every RC I have had I have built so the kit is no issue for me especially if it is better fitted out of the box. If the two are basically the same out of the box I may just get the RTR, this is for my son, he is eight.

Thanks for the information and help,

Patrick
Old 09-01-2014, 01:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In larger sizes metal shocks prevent the caps from blowing off, but as I said in 1/18th I don't see any real benefit. So if that is the only difference I'd prolly go RTR

On the other note I do have a RTR RC18B, and can say its a pretty good vehicle. I've hit mine quite a few times to where I thought it would have broke (as my 1/18th recon DID break from similar hits), and it keeps going.

Now is it the original like the RC18b, or the newer one like the RC18b2? (just using the b as a placeholder cause if I put a 2 after 18 it might look weird)
Old 09-02-2014, 04:14 AM
Darion

Thanks for the reply! This would be a RC18B2 or T2. The Kit gives the option of building either one and comes with both bodies. The reading I have done suggest the differences are shocks, dog bones, and knuckels. Some have found these parts to be worth it others have been left dissappointed.

Thanks for the info and your time,

Patrick
Old 09-03-2014, 09:12 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

hmm the belt drive version....
Supposedly the belts are tight, and cause issues from what I read on them

Also as its belt drive your son can't really drive it where there would be pebbles, or other debris as its pretty much meant for an indoor track
If a pebble gets in the belt section (which is likely as the belts not covered) it will either strip the gear, or snap the belt(or both)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but a brushed mini revo for $224 RTR might be a better option as it can drive offroad, and not need a groomed area. Only issues out of box that need changing is the shock oil is lighter then salad dressing, and the springs suck. (some cheap spring suggestions from another forum http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...tore%20springs)

Only other smal RC's is the HPI Recon which is a pile of crap in a box(I own one).
Now the original RC18 would have been a good option I don't know why Associated discontinued it as the 2's are superior for racing so they would have still sold, but the original was cheap, and nice for just running offroad as it was shaft drive

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 09-03-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Darion

SyCo_VeNoM thanks. I read some of the same issues with the belts, plus pebbles, mulch and the like will be in play. After doing a bunch of reading I have decided to just go with a 1/10 something or another for him. I would like a kit but the choices are few and it needs to be durable. I think I may just get a Traxxas 1/10 truck, brushless RTR, tear it down, bag it as I go and he can rebuild it. I want to give him a hobby not a toy and since we don't have any tracks around it will be for bashing. He does fine with my 1/8 Savage SS that I converted to brushless and weighs a ton so he should be fine with a 1/10.

Thanks for your information and if ya have any about 1/10 that can handle thick grass and bash without being fragile I'm all ears!

Thanks again,

Patrick

With great speed comes greater repair bills. TRUE! LOL
Old 09-03-2014, 04:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

hmm now if you want a budget 1/10th the Tamiya DF-02 is an ok RC
All it really needs out of the box is a new fork made that is longer out of piano wire (took me $5, and 10 mins to do 2 DF-02's)

as for the mini revo its about the same size as my 1/10th df-02 buggy.

Other good option would be an HPI wheely king that sucker is pretty durable stock, and is a MT for $200 stock. its sold as 1/12th, but honestly its pretty big the tires are around 4 inches diameter so it has some ground clearance.

On the other hand I found my 7yo nephew also likes my Axial SCX10 which is $240 as a kit.

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 09-03-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:53 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer building to RTR anyway, even if the parts are the same. Half the fun (if not more than half) of this hobby for me is building, modifying, and working on stuff. Plus, if you build a kit, when it comes time to fix or replace something, it's a breeze because you're intimately familiar with the mechanics.

This isn't to say I don't buy RTRs, I often do, but generally I prefer to build if possible. Some companies that are slightly less hobby grade and more mass market, like Traxxas, don't really even offer kit options, and some companies only offer kit options. With wooden aircraft, I always buy ARFs or RTFs, because I hate cutting/gluing. Heli kits I enjoy, even though I can barely fly them to save my life. I built a 60 size T rex nitro a while back and have only started the engine once, but I still enjoyed building it. I know if I try to fly that thing right now I'd crash it in a second. Boats, I generally buy RTR or ARTR, since there isn't much to build unless you're doing a scale model.