Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Project MG:Speed

Old 06-27-2015, 05:17 PM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project MG:Speed

***Disclaimer: This thread will be updated slowly, this isn't front burner project. You might not see anything for a month or I could have it finished in a week, this is just a little heads up.***

This project started many years back probably when I first started in the hobby, I got my hands on a venom mini giant (atec leo/etc/etc) and always loved the little truck but I always wanted to go faster. The mini giant had a good following and a few custom aftermarket parts but it was mostly geared toward crawling and custom straight axial mini rigs. This never interested me as i was always into going fast, I fully understand if I want speed I should buy an on-road car. I seen a video on youtube of someone who put a brushless system in a mini giant and it was the craziest thing I had seen anyone do, since that video a few other people have done things similar but nothing wacko. In 2012 I bought some crazy hardware that should of destroyed the poor mini giant, a 6200kv motor, a 35amp esc, 2x 3s 850mah lipo's. The motor claimed 1/18-1/16th motor support but the actual can size and screw mounting was closer to 1/16.The thing to remember is that the mini giant is only 1/24th scale It supported 370/380 sized cans and this motor required some significant modding of the transmission to support it. So much so that because it's so hard to find parts I had to hunt ebay and pick up spare trucks just so I could have spare gears and what not.

initial testing was rough, it was to top heavy, to bouncy, needs locked differentials, needs direct servo steering, needs to be longer, could be wider. I was able to fix the top heavy issue a little bit and the bounce by removing the shocks and putting the solid plastic suspension bars in place instead, this firmed up the ride and made it more drivable but it still pulls on launch and the non direct steering makes keeping this thing in a straight line fun to say the least. The power this little thing puts down is nuts, on full WOT the rims spin inside the tires. (I know this is bad but it acts like a slipper clutch because it prevents the stress being displaced somewhere else, so as long as i don't heavy finger from a stand still this isn't so much an issue after it hooks up[I will glue them down the road though.])

So here we are today (Not actually today but whatever.) I'm custom designing my own chassis, steering mount, linkage, body, and what ever else it might need. I'm only losing the frame the mini giant had, I'm still using everything else just about. I've nicknamed this project monster pan as the style of the finished product should look a monsterized pan car.

Picture time:
Frame Sections

Mounted (Kinda, front is narrower and needs to be designed.)

I need to get a set of screws for the project, I'm thinking about doing it all where I can in m3.

The current material I'm using is PLA, the decision for the final build material is unknown. (Could be abs, carbon fiber, some form of nylon, so many types of filament I could use.