1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Losi Mini 8ight-t Bevel Gear

Old 11-01-2015, 06:59 AM
adam20t

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Losi Mini 8ight-t Bevel Gear

Hope someone has some help for me. I have 2 8ight-t with same issue. I have now broken teeth of the bevel differential gear in 4 differentials. Both front and rear. I have shimmed the differentials side to side when needed. I have run the slipper as much as 1/2 turn out (too much), but typically run it 1/8 out. I only run NiMH batteries thru a Velinion motor with steel/steel pinion/spur. The cars only run on my small scale backyard track which has appropriate size jumps, but is does fully test these cars. I am conscious of not landing them under full throttle, but the bevel gears keep breaking teeth. The ring gears are fine. The internal differential gears are fine. No binding in the whole drivetrain.

Is there a better option for replacement? I have looked at the LC Racing/Tacon 1/14 scale parts but they mount to the driveshaft differently and not even sure the pitch is the same.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions

Adam

Last edited by adam20t; 12-08-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:56 PM
RedDawg303

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't believe that you're having diff issues. I torture my mini 8ight and put it through enough abuse to break any other car, I have never once had to work on the diffs. That's one of the reasons why I love this car so much, it's the only car that I've ever own where the drive-train can handle my abusive driving.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:07 AM
adam20t

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is the one i pulled out last night. Ring gear is perfect. This was from the rear. I am now running 2s lipo with the traxxas motor. Slipper is set 1/8 turn out. I have not broken many parts on these mini's, but I do drive them hard on my track.

Biggest issues were the hubs and caster blocks. The ball ends pulled out of the plastic ones. I replaced them with aluminum ones. I have also replaced all the ball cups with RPM ones.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1814.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	667.6 KB
ID:	2134739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1813.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	629.1 KB
ID:	2134740  
Old 12-08-2015, 05:02 PM
RedDawg303

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh I just noticed that you're running a mini 8ight-t. I run the buggy version, I suppose having larger wheels and tires can make a difference in the drive train durability. How much more power and speed did you gain with that Velineon motor?
Old 12-09-2015, 11:10 AM
adam20t

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have never run them with stock motor. Both bought used with Velineon systems installed, but the truggy seems to burn up the stock motor based on other reads.

Are you running yours offroad and jumping it?
Old 12-10-2015, 08:22 AM
RedDawg303

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lol yes I absolutely beat the piss out of mine. In fact I am actually the third owner of the car, I bought it from my roommate who scored it second hand on ebay. I was never interested in mini's until I saw this thing in action and then I had to have it. My car has a TON of miles and I'm still using the original diffs and motor. I take it to skate parks all the time, I use to launch the car 10+ feet high in my driveway with my kicker ramp, no issues other than some bent GPM shock towers. I just straighten them back out with a hammer. We even had to fish the car out of a 50' culvert that runs underneath our driveway, my roommate was doing 3s speed runs and lost control. We could hear the electronics popping and sizzling as the car was submerged in swamp water. We fished it out with electrician poles and then replaced the electronics and re-greased the diffs. The stock motor has been great in this car, I always run with 2200 mah Sky Lipos. Motor temps stay under 160 no matter what. Just make sure that your gears are meshed properly and that your setup ALLOWS the car to bottom out on big jump landings, otherwise that energy gets transferred to the suspension and parts can break.