1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

reviving an old RC18B - little help recomending parts

Old 01-09-2017, 09:20 PM
SlyDogJeff77

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default reviving an old RC18B - little help recomending parts

Hi guys. I'm reviving an old RC18B.
I'm looking for a down and dirty parts list (recommendations) on the cheap. I'm going to pass it down to my 11year old as his first RC. He is so good at building and models.
I've got it apart and ready for him to take over.

I need all new electronics (they have all oxidized and corroded over the years):
new motor
new speed control
new battery & charger
new remote and receiver
new dog bones and springs for them (fronts have warn down)

everything else looks good to go.
it doesn't NEED to be brushless, but i guess it doesn't matter if it's on the cheap.

I've been out of the RC game for YEARS so I don't know anything any more. Some one just tell me what to order as long as it's less than ordering a new RC18B2 or whatever it is.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:54 PM
gsy971

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Slydogjeff77, i guess i am kinda in the same boat as you. Still have my RC18T from almost a decade ago and now want to get my 11 yr old into it as well. I too have been out of the game although maybe i was not even in the game too much. I didn't see any replies to your question and it was almost the same question i was going to ask. Maybe we can learn from each other here and others would chime in later.

I bought my boy a brand new Associated RC 1/18th Reflex. I am looking to upgrade parts such as turnbuckles, CVDs, shocks, add bumper and other stuff to try and make it a little more durable. I am finding that parts are kinda hard to source as ebay being the most available. 2 of my local hobby shops carry very limited 1/18th scale supply and the guy told me 1/18th is kinda dead nowadays.

I too want to stay stock w/o brushless as i want to keep it simple and cheap as i think knowing how to drive is waay more important than just going fast. So l would just get all stock RC18 stuff as they still run pretty good IMO. Like i said i got a 11yr old son too and this will be his first RC. Dog bones would definitely upgrade though.

Hope to hear from you soon
Old 01-22-2018, 10:37 PM
Igottabeme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just go with the updated electronics heres a link https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ASSOCIA...item48a56f1b76

Last edited by Igottabeme; 01-24-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:42 PM
esavagenoobie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only thing about this radio system and electronics is that the throttle isnt proportional. Or, at least on my buddies apex it is not. Youll pull the trigger 20% of its throw and get nothing, 21% will give you 100% throttle. It is impossible to 'crawl' with it. You have to use short 'jabs' at the throttle to get it to move at a slow pace.

While I'm not sure if there is a defect in his unit, I would just be weary.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:45 PM
esavagenoobie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only thing about this radio system and electronics is that the throttle isnt proportional. Or, at least on my buddies apex it is not. Youll pull the trigger 20% of its throw and get nothing, 21% will give you 100% throttle. It is impossible to 'crawl' with it. You have to use short 'jabs' at the throttle to get it to move at a slow pace.

While I'm not sure if there is a defect in his unit, I would just be weary.