Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

3s make up for gearing change?

Old 01-12-2018, 09:07 AM
medic4302

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 3s make up for gearing change?

I recently put 2.8 Talons on my Rustler VXL, and subsequently, switched to a 21T pinion. I lost some top end due to this change and I'm wondering if its appropriate to go from the current 2S lipo to a 3S lipo to make up for that? Would this create excess heat for the motor/ESC? I could maybe also go back to a 23T pinion with more power? (Stock is 25/83). I want it to be able to wheelie when I want AND top out around 45-50.

I know theres a balance to be had, just trying to figure it out.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:06 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Your best bet would be to invest in a infrared thermometer (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-c...-motor.html)to) pinpoint optimum gearing. I would recommend not letting your motor go above 160°F. After a couple of minutes of running your Rustler normally, check temps., then keep checking temps. in two minute increments after that. You may have to gear down even lower than the 21T pinion gear when strapping a 3S battery in your Rustler. The 21T pinion gear sounds like a good starting point though.

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-13-2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:16 AM
medic4302

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's exactly what I'm doing. I think it's going to be a good combo. Thanks!