Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Ecx roost upgrades need help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:23 PM
Play4Fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecx roost upgrades need help.

I want to upgrade my stock ecx roost to brushless. Does anyone know of a nice motor combo? I don't want crazy speeds but maybe 1.8-2x the stock speed. Waterproof would be nice. I'm still pretty new to this so drop in or close to would be nice as well.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2018, 06:29 PM
esavagenoobie

Here are a couple options by Castle Creations (slightly more expensive one here, there are cheaper options such as this or this. The first castle system is NOT waterproof, however the second one is and is the hobbyking stuff.

Beware though, electronic components are never truely waterproof, so do so at your own risk.

As for which one you should go for, well if you're on a budget, and don't mind waiting times, hobbyking/bangood/ebay are all good options for a cheaper Chinese brand electronics but in terms of warranty you can pretty much forget about it, Castle stands behind their products (I warrantied my MMP 2 or 3 times in the 6 years I had it, and my MMM v1 once) without any questions and only minimal fees on my part.

Important to note, you will (most likely) have to replace your radio and Tx though, because the ECX uses a esc/rx combo and I do not think it allows to be binded to other receivers. But I am not 100% sure on that one.

If it is the case, Flysky stuff is cheap, and I had a GT3B radio and now have the 2 channel variant of it (GT2C? I think) without issues.

Hope this was of some help. The motors I linked are 380 sized cans or for 1/18th scale vehicles.

Quick google found me this might want to consider giving that a quick read through.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:09 AM
Play4Fun

Originally Posted by esavagenoobie
are a couple options by Castle Creations (slightly more expensive one , there are cheaper options such as or. The first castle system is NOT waterproof, however the second one is and is the hobbyking stuff.

Beware though, electronic components are never truely waterproof, so do so at your own risk.

As for which one you should go for, well if you're on a budget, and don't mind waiting times, hobbyking/bangood/ebay are all good options for a cheaper Chinese brand electronics but in terms of warranty you can pretty much forget about it, Castle stands behind their products (I warrantied my MMP 2 or 3 times in the 6 years I had it, and my MMM v1 once) without any questions and only minimal fees on my part.

Important to note, you will (most likely) have to replace your radio and Tx though, because the ECX uses a esc/rx combo and I do not think it allows to be binded to other receivers. But I am not 100% sure on that one.

If it is the case, Flysky stuff is cheap, and I had a GT3B radio and now have the 2 channel variant of it (GT2C? I think) without issues.

Hope this was of some help. The motors I linked are 380 sized cans or for 1/18th scale vehicles.

Quick google found me might want to consider giving that a quick read through.
thanks that helped a lot! With the non water proof version would it be alright to drive through small puddles ? And how much faster would you guess the castle creations would make it go ?
Old 03-13-2018, 01:17 PM
esavagenoobie

Originally Posted by Play4Fun
thanks that helped a lot! With the non water proof version would it be alright to drive through small puddles ? And how much faster would you guess the castle creations would make it go ?

Honestly, to be safe, I'd avoid any water what so ever, but if you did run though a puddle it *might* be ok.

In the days before waterproofed electronics, the popular thing to do was take the esc out of any case that it was in, and completely encapsulate the ESC in something like plasti-dip. The one you paint on was more preferred.

As for speed increase, if you're stock electronics put you in the 30mph mark, a brushless set up, on 3s with the correct gearing can get you into the 60mph zone.

But your speeds will varry based on a few things:
Tires youre running
Pinion Spur ratio
Nimh or Lipo? Lipo will provide much more speed than a nimh
Motor Kv or, RPM per volt

You can use this site to try and estimate your top speed:
HERE

Whats more important about speed though is control. Its a lot easier to get to 60mph than it is to control something at 60mph..

The Kv for motors are a two way street though, higher Kv have higher rpm limits resulting in generally higher stop speeds, but could fail if run too hard and generally heat up quicker that lower Kv motors. They also have lower torque as well. So TLDR, HIgh Kv, Low Torque, High speed, High heat.

Lower Kv motors have more torque, generally run cooler and are what most people run efficiently on 3s+ (depending on motor size)

Finding a good Kv balance for your vehicle is one challenge you have when deciding what motor to purchase, but ask yourself:
Do you want speed or reliability
Do you have a temp gun to measure temps
Are you running Nimh or Lipo?

A good all rounder for something your scale might be in the high 5000- low 6000 range.
Im waiting for a 5700Kv motor I'm planning on running on 2s in my micro.

Last edited by esavagenoobie; 03-13-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:55 PM
Igottabeme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The diffs in the ECX 1/18s are not the best diffs to be putting alot of speed and torque into. Go 30+ mph if you want to but be ready with some spare diffs and the cost of the diffs are not cheap you have to buy the whole gearbox assembly just to get the diff. Just my .02 cents.

https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-parts/r-...4wd-ecx212000/

Last edited by Igottabeme; 03-13-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:01 PM
esavagenoobie

Originally Posted by Igottabeme
The diffs in the ECX 1/18s are not the best diffs to be puttting alot of speed and torque into. Go 30+ mph if you want to but be ready with some spare diffs and the cost of the diffs are not cheap you have to buy the whole gearbox assembly just to get the diff. Just my .02 cents.

https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-parts/r-...4wd-ecx212000/

Wow, thats a gimick. Can the ring and pinion gear (assuming thats what goes) really not be upgraded/purchased separately?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:57 PM
Play4Fun

Honestly, to be safe, I'd avoid any water what so ever, but if you did run though a puddle it *might* be ok.

In the days before waterproofed electronics, the popular thing to do was take the esc out of any case that it was in, and completely encapsulate the ESC in something like plasti-dip. The one you paint on was more preferred.

As for speed increase, if you're stock electronics put you in the 30mph mark, a brushless set up, on 3s with the correct gearing can get you into the 60mph zone.

But your speeds will varry based on a few things:
Tires youre running
Pinion Spur ratio
Nimh or Lipo? Lipo will provide much more speed than a nimh
Motor Kv or, RPM per volt

You can use this site to try and estimate your top speed:

Whats more important about speed though is control. Its a lot easier to get to 60mph than it is to control something at 60mph..

The Kv for motors are a two way street though, higher Kv have higher rpm limits resulting in generally higher stop speeds, but could fail if run too hard and generally heat up quicker that lower Kv motors. They also have lower torque as well. So TLDR, HIgh Kv, Low Torque, High speed, High heat.

Lower Kv motors have more torque, generally run cooler and are what most people run efficiently on 3s+ (depending on motor size)

Finding a good Kv balance for your vehicle is one challenge you have when deciding what motor to purchase, but ask yourself:
Do you want speed or reliability
Do you have a temp gun to measure temps
Are you running Nimh or Lipo?

A good all rounder for something your scale might be in the high 5000- low 6000 range.
Im waiting for a 5700Kv motor I'm planning on running on 2s in my micro.
I only get 14 mph on stock so would a lower kv work a lot better?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:59 PM
Play4Fun

Originally Posted by Igottabeme
The diffs in the ECX 1/18s are not the best diffs to be putting alot of speed and torque into. Go 30+ mph if you want to but be ready with some spare diffs and the cost of the diffs are not cheap you have to buy the whole gearbox assembly just to get the diff. Just my .02 cents.
Would it be cheaper to buy an upgraded one? one that wouldn't break at high speeds?
Old 03-13-2018, 06:55 PM
esavagenoobie

I only get 14 mph on stock so would a lower kv work a lot better?
What battery are you planning on running in it?
A 3s lipo is good for anything below 5000Kv (safetly) anything above that Kv range you're going to want to run a 2s lipo.

Brushed and brushless motors are not really comparable.

Would it be cheaper to buy an upgraded one? one that wouldn't break at high speeds?
If there was an option I would suggest going that route, but Im not familiar with the vehicle so im going to assume the old diffs available are the stock ones. Shimming it a little tight might improve the longevity.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:07 PM
Play4Fun

What battery are you planning on running in it?
A 3s lipo is good for anything below 5000Kv (safetly) anything above that Kv range you're going to want to run a 2s lipo.

Brushed and brushless motors are not really comparable.

If there was an option I would suggest going that route, but Im not familiar with the vehicle so im going to assume the old diffs available are the stock ones. Shimming it a little tight might improve the longevity.
thanks for all your help! Btw what micro RC car are you working on right now ?
Old 03-13-2018, 07:21 PM
esavagenoobie

thanks for all your help! Btw what micro RC car are you working on right now ?

No worries, thats what forums are for!

And thanks for asking, you can see the build thread here
Old 03-13-2018, 08:16 PM
Play4Fun

No worries, thats what forums are for!

And thanks for asking, you can see the build thread

Your build is sweet! I did some research and my car and it doesn't seem like there's an upgrade for it and I would prefer not to spend 25 for a simple replacement, so I was thinking about buying a new rc a cheaper end 1/16-1/18 scale rc that I can upgrade the hell out of. I cant post links yet rip, but here's one of the cars I was thinking about the name is

Dromida BX4.18BL 1/18 RTR 4WD Brushless Buggy

I also have a ecx ruckus 1/10 2wd brushless that I got the last Christmas.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:48 PM
Igottabeme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a mild brushless sytstem in the Roost and the diffs may be ok. A low kv brushless motor is not the best either because it can be too torquey which is also bad on drivetrain parts. Stick a Tacon finned 2030 brushless motor in it pair it up with a Hobbywing 18a esc stick to pavement and go have some fun. I run a 1/18 Ruckus with a 6200kv finned Tacon 2030 motor, 18a esc on 2s, with smaller tires and the diffs have been holding up. I tried a 2040 3800kv motor in it and tore a diif up so I went with the 2030 6200kv. A 2030 brushless motor is easier on the diffs. I have given up on the ruckus its just not as fun to drive as my other minis.

I have some Dromidas they are great minis in my opinion. They are highly upgradeable except the diffs but the diffs hold up pretty well to brushless even though they are plasitc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ruckus.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	2259153   Click image for larger version

Name:	bx on road.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	2259154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180216_114202.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	2259155  
Old 03-14-2018, 05:30 PM
esavagenoobie

Your build is sweet! I did some research and my car and it doesn't seem like there's an upgrade for it and I would prefer not to spend 25 for a simple replacement, so I was thinking about buying a new rc a cheaper end 1/16-1/18 scale rc that I can upgrade the hell out of. I cant post links yet rip, but here's one of the cars I was thinking about the name is

Dromida BX4.18BL 1/18 RTR 4WD Brushless Buggy

I also have a ecx ruckus 1/10 2wd brushless that I got the last Christmas.
Thank you! I've spent a lot of time designing it. I think a Dromida would be a nice upgrade, they can be hand for quite a reasonable price, and they offer a brushless version straight from the factory.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:22 PM
Play4Fun

Thank you! I've spent a lot of time designing it. I think a Dromida would be a nice upgrade, they can be hand for quite a reasonable price, and they offer a brushless version straight from the factory.
i went to my local rc shop and was checking what they had to offer in terms of minis. They didn’t have a dormida but they had mini Losi 8ight T and db going for 230 and 250. They said they were more upgradable then the roost and it came with brushless waterproof motor and ecs. Thinking about grabbing one of those.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:15 PM
esavagenoobie

Since its been out a while, Id watch a couple youtube reviews on it, really get an idea on how it is. But being losi and their histroy, I think you can expect a good kit from them. Plus there is aftermarket support for it.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:36 PM
sebascornejo

Hi, I am planning on buying 2 ecx roost to start the RC world with my son, is this the best way to start? please your recommendations will be highly appreciated.

best regards,

Sebastian