Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

E Revo 1/16 suspension springs

Old 05-04-2020, 07:09 PM
corneileous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E Revo 1/16 suspension springs

Hey guys, my girlfriend and I went halfsies on a new E Revo 1/16ths scale for her son and I’m curious about a coil spring upgrade because its stock suspension just seems way too soft to me. I mean, I know its a little bitty thing, much smaller from my Revo 3.3 but dang. I was surprised that even straight outta the box that it seemed like the rear spring’s pre-load nuts where already spun all the way up... I got on a chat line with Traxxas that was more/less a joke but anyways, the agent that helped me.... if ya wanna call it that, said that the black springs- which it has on there already, were the heaviest sprigs they had for this little car. Is there an aftermarket spring thats stiffer, that doesn’t need as much preload? I don’t think we’re gonna run a Lipo battery on this car since they are kinda dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing with them and I don’t really think they will make the car any better from how it is now with the NiMH battery it came with so I think we’re just gonna get him a couple more of the battery that it came with along with the parallel splitter that allows you to run two NiMH batteries at the same time but I’m worried about extra weight on a car that I feel already has really soft suspension. Is there a solution? Thanks
Old 05-05-2020, 07:24 AM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The help desk would have been following a set procedure to get the right part . And yes , I think the black marked springs are the stiffest on the e-revo .
But , if you go to the 1/16 Summit parts page and click on springs , you get a lot more choices . I think they start with black . Pink , Purple and Blue are all stiffer .
I have Black on the front , about 4mm preload on the collar . Purple on the back , maybe 2mm preload .
Being 2nd hand , it wouldnt surprise me if the shocks are leaking ( empty ) . Its not uncommon on these .
Are there any signs of leaks ?
It could easily have been cleaned for sale .
Some shock oil and rebuild kits wouldnt hurt .
Old 05-05-2020, 08:16 AM
corneileous

Originally Posted by seedygreenute
The help desk would have been following a set procedure to get the right part . And yes , I think the black marked springs are the stiffest on the e-revo .
But , if you go to the 1/16 Summit parts page and click on springs , you get a lot more choices . I think they start with black . Pink , Purple and Blue are all stiffer .
I have Black on the front , about 4mm preload on the collar . Purple on the back , maybe 2mm preload .
Being 2nd hand , it wouldnt surprise me if the shocks are leaking ( empty ) . Its not uncommon on these .
Are there any signs of leaks ?
It could easily have been cleaned for sale .
Some shock oil and rebuild kits wouldnt hurt .
It’s not used, we ordered it brand spanking new directly from Traxxas, and this is how it came out of the box.

But yeah, I will definitely have to look into those the different springs because all they have for his car is the orange being the lightest, black being the heaviest. I can’t remember what his front springs are but the rears are definitely the black ones.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:22 AM
corneileous

But oh wow, I just looked on Traxxas‘s webpage and sure enough, the black spring that they have on there is the same dam part number as the black spring that came on his car… LOL. I wonder why they are presented in a way to where the springs that’s listed for that summit won’t be available to use for the E Revo? I mean, I can understand that they designed the car the way they designed it but still, if the summit uses the same springs that his car does why wouldn’t they have them listed where you could have access to every one of them?? That doesn’t make any sense.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:56 PM
seedygreenute

Sorry , my mistake on the 2nd hand thing .
I dont know why they do it but they do .
Is yours the brushed or brushless version ?
The weight and size of the motor might be why they change springs . I dont remember what came with mine ( VXL - had it for years ) , but I dont think it was black . Traxxas does change things over time , so maybe thats how they come now .
At least you can order some stiffer springs now !
Old 05-05-2020, 06:04 PM
corneileous

Sorry , my mistake on the 2nd hand thing .
I dont know why they do it but they do .
Is yours the brushed or brushless version ?
The weight and size of the motor might be why they change springs . I dont remember what came with mine ( VXL - had it for years ) , but I dont think it was black . Traxxas does change things over time , so maybe thats how they come now .
At least you can order some stiffer springs now !
I'm assuming it’s the plain brushed motor one because it was the cheapest of the 1/16 E Revo’s.

But yeah, I went ahead and ordered a set of those heavier springs so we’ll see. Hopefully it helps even with the extra weight of running two NiMH batteries. Or I dunno, he may just have to run one battery at a time, ya think? I also got him two more batteries and went ahead and got the parallel cable for two since it was only 8 bucks.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:00 PM
seedygreenute

I tend to run 1 battery at a time . It lets things cool down when you change batteries , before going again . But I have run 2 , Nimh and 2S . I have a 3S lipo as well .
Kids have run it hard till they are bored and I havnt had any problems yet ( things do wear out, but no breakages ) .
You should have a great time with it , enjoy !
Old 05-06-2020, 08:09 AM
corneileous

I tend to run 1 battery at a time . It lets things cool down when you change batteries , before going again . But I have run 2 , Nimh and 2S . I have a 3S lipo as well .
Kids have run it hard till they are bored and I havnt had any problems yet ( things do wear out, but no breakages ) .
You should have a great time with it , enjoy !
Yeah like I said, that parallel cable was only like 8 bucks so if it gets used for two batteries, it gets used or if it doesn’t and he just runs it with one battery, that’s fine. Not out a whole lot of money on the two-battery adapter...lol. I’m more curious about how having the extra weight of two batteries will affect the car even with the new stiffer springs in the back.

But how much longer was the run time on two batteries on yours? Right now, I think he gets about 20, 30 minutes depending on how often he runs it and how hard he runs it whether it’s on pavement or through grass so I’m assuming it oughta be about doubled. But when you did run two batteries at a time, did both batteries get as hot as one does when it depletes and needs recharging? I guess it’s normal for that one battery to be pretty warm when done with, I just assumed that two batteries together wouldn’t have quite the strain on them as a pair when they ran down.

How did two batteries affect your car’s handling? Was it even noticeable? Do those new springs you recommended still compensate good for the extra weight?

Lastly, how did running a LiPo battery on it affect it? Was it worth running a Lipo battery? If we did decide to get him one later on down the road, at least I have a charger that would charge the non-Traxxas equivalent to what they sell.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:10 PM
seedygreenute

Run time should double in theory . Double the the battery size for not a lot of weight .
My Lipo run time is about 15 mins of fast driving . The difference is you dont notice the drop off as much . With Nimh , you will notice that it is getting slower and slower as you get through your run . Lipo starts at a higher voltage ( 8.4V for 2S ) and cuts out at about 7.2V due to the LVC . ( Low Voltage Cutoff / Lipo mode on the ESC ) .
Nimh = gradual decline
Lipo = slight decline , then stops !
Not much difference in handling , stiffer springs in the rear helped with the car squatting / sagging too much on take offs as well as bottoming out on even small jumps .
Old 05-07-2020, 07:42 PM
seedygreenute

Went through my parts box and found my original springs .
They were Green stripe !
Like I said , 6-7 year old VXL , so not sure what they fit now .