Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

xmods vs miniz

Old 01-11-2004, 03:02 AM
slowmo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xmods vs miniz

im dont know whether tooi get a mini z or an xmod but some say that miniz parts fit xmods....so is it true that i can get an xmod and use miniz parts to soup it up...?or its just a waste of time and just get a miniz for the same price as an xmod with upgrades.../?????????
Old 01-11-2004, 03:27 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: xmods vs miniz

ORIGINAL: slowmo
i dont know whether to get a mini z or a micrors4....ive researched both of them but i still dont know what to get.....i want a car dats kinda like a rally car but is still fast enough to race....this is my first real car and i have about 150-200 buget...i thought about the rs4 rally but i dont have da cash for it i will have to wait another 2-3 months if i get that...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...tm.htm#1194620
Old 01-11-2004, 09:39 AM
popa71

Im really into nitro. Micro for me is very new. Someone in my family brought me a Xmod for Christmas and I can tell you. The rumor about them only moving about 6mph stock is false they travel at about 11 mph. I also upgraded it with every option, ball bearings, stage 2 motors, body kit, all wheel drive, suspension kit, light kit and rechargable cells. with the price of the car included everything cost about $175 thats only $25 bucks more than a stock mini z. Im not saying the Xmod is better but the miniZ would have shot up to a good $350 bucks for the same upgrades. My xmod is moving about at around 15 mph. and it has a real nice controller with dual rate. for $50 it cant be beat, the realizism and detail is incredible.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:01 AM
teamsquirreltail

From what I've seen, they are almost exact duplicates. Don't quote me on that. In my opinion, I like the Xmod bodies more then the Mini Z bodies, the detail is incredible! This is coming from someone who has never owned either one, so take it as you wish.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:18 PM
brandon001

i HAD A X MOD AND LOVED IT.I NEVER SEEN ANY MINI Z'S RUN OR DROVE ONE TO JUDGE THE BETTER OF THE TWO,BUT FOR THE MONEY THE XMODS ARE NICE AND CAN BE MODDED NICELY.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: popa71
The rumor about them only moving about 6mph stock is false they travel at about 11 mph.
The January 2004 issue of Xtreme RC Cars at page 135 provides: "The speed was slower than a Kyosho Mini-Z. We were able to track it [x-mod] at a top speed of 6.5 MPH."

The December issue of RC Car Action at page 136 rates the stock Mini-Z Enzo at 15 mph simply by changing out the stock pinon gear with another stock provided pinion gear. Even with the "regular" stock pinion gear it is faster than the x-mod based on the January 2004 review.

And if I recall correctly, an earlier magazine article specifically compared the x-mod to the Mini-Z and that one rated the x-mod slight lower at 6 mph and still rated the Mini-Z at 15 mph. If I knew which magazine, I'd provide the issue date as well.

From what I've seen in one of the local hobby shops, many x-mod owners are trading up to Mini-Z's and leaving the x-mods at home while the Mini-Z's are leaving their x-mods in the dust. However, I don't really care which RC anyone purchases and it simply appears that many don't want the best value or best car, they simply want the cheapest price. Even the original starter of this thread began comparing a Mini-Z to a Micro RS4, now it's a Mini-Z to a Xmod.

Isn't it true that the Xmod's crystals are not interchangeable with the other "normal" non-Radio Shack crystals? Why? To get more "racers" or just retain Shack customers? All I know is when I get my own RCP track, there will not be any xmods running on it.

Old 01-11-2004, 08:09 PM
popa71

I think you need to take a look at the Febuary issue of RCA because they say that it ran 11.2mph stock . I dont think you know what your talking about. Get the facts straight!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2004, 08:28 PM
popa71

I also never said the Xmod was better but for the cost its a much better buy!!!!!!!!! You get more for less
Old 01-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

I think you need to take a look at the Febuary issue of RCA because they say that it ran 11.2mph stock . I dont think you know what your talking about. Get the facts straight!!!!!!
Before you get hostile and belligerent again, why don't you just "read" the articles and reviews in the magazines I already cited?

If you don't "like" what the previous reviews claim, then write the magazines and prove them otherwise. When the magazines print a retraction, I'll cite them otherwise. And even if the February issue of RCA claims the Xmod runs at 11.2 stock, you should still read the articles previously cited before you tell someone else to get the facts straight. You should also cite the page number in the RCA issue because from your post, one can't even tell if you are claiming the Mini-Z or the Xmod runs at 11.2 mph stock and must assume you are writing of the Xmod because you defend it like it was your grandchild or something.

As I wrote before I don't care want anyone purchases, I just know that I've seen numerous x-mod owners shift to Mini-Zs and I've read what I've read whether you agree with the articles or not.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:48 PM
popa71

In my reply I made no comments about the performance of the miniz. I do however own an Xmod therefore I think that would qualify me to speak on its performance. You dont have an Xmod. By the way here is the RCA Mag where they have a full review of the XMOD. This is not defending, but I do think your defending the Mini-Z even though I didnt speak bad about it. And I do have that issue of Xrc and they rated the XMOD a 9 out of 10. Why dont you try telling him why he should get a Mini Z, not why he shouldnt get an XMOD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26276.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	89733  
Old 01-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

And I do have that issue of Xrc and they rated the XMOD a 9 out of 10.
If you "have that issue of Xrc" (January 2004 issue of Xtreme RC Cars), open it up and turn to page 135. Find the second column which has "Testing" in bold print. Scroll down to line 4, where the fourth sentence begins. It provides, "The speed was slower than a Kyosho Mini-Z. We were able to track it at a top speed of 6.5 MPH." The "rating" is at the bottom of the third column on the same page.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:22 PM
popa71

Yes I have seen it, but turn to page 110 of the febuary issue of radio Control Car magazine. They tested at 11.2mph stock. I myself buy both magazines and I like both. But here we have disagreement of the magazines. If I didnt own the car I would be asking which one is correct but because I have seen it run before I modified it im pretty sure RCA is more acurate in the top speed. Wouldnt you say thats pretty fair!!!!!
Old 01-11-2004, 11:01 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Yes I have seen it, but
I'm not sure what is fair because although you admittedly own the very same magazine and issue cited, you needlessly became hostile after I cited the magazine's article and review when you could have very well mentioned that you own the magazine, read the article, and then came across a conflicting review and then provided a detailed cite and quote.

I also can't confirm or deny what RCCA published in its February issue because I didn't purchase that issue since it looked like some of the same hoopla that gets so regurgitated in many of the RC magazines, especially the magazines owned by the same publishing house, not that RCCA and XRCC are owned by the same publishing house since XRCC appears to be a Think Omnimedia LLC company and RCCA is AirAge Media.

If you would have read one of the other threads regarding a new R/C publication, you would have known that one of the things I mentioned needing in the R/C car world was "non-biased" testing with detailed results and equipment--a controlled environment. And although I don't own an Xmod as you pointed out earlier (because I don't want one), it also doesn't mean that I haven't seen an xmod run stock as well as modified on the very same Mini-Z track I frequent. I've even helped a few owners out and discussed their hop-ups with them. Quite frankly, to me the Xmod appears to be a lot better "outdoor" mini than the Mini-Z; however, that doesn't mean that the stock Xmod is faster.

Again, I reiterate that I don't care whether someone purchases a Mini-Z or an Xmod and the person who originally started this thread was comparing Mini-Z's to Micro RS4s earlier then started another thread comparing Mini-Z's to X-Mods. Where is he now? Who freaking cares.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:20 PM
popa71

who ever said the XMOD was faster than the Mini-z who said it was a better car . I said its a better value. As a matter of fact if you did have so much experience with the XMOD you would have mentioned that in your earlier post. You bring up these test from the mags but you only mention what suits your statement, As a matter a fact you have said nothing to help this kid. Who became hostile could you see my reaction to your post. I think your hostile!!! I can tell by the length of your post but In reality nothing you have said has helped anyone!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2004, 11:39 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

First, I didn't assume the original poster was a "kid". Second, I first responded to your post regarding the claimed stock speed of the Xmod with specific cites to magazines, where the original poster can read the articles and decide for himself. You then reacted by attacking me personally because you disagreed with the reviews. I also never wrote, much less said, that you claimed the Xmod was better as you asserted in post 8. However, ff you take my reactions to your attacks as hostile, so be it but at least you acknowledged the very article that I cited prior to your first personal attack.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:56 PM
popa71

Disagreeing with you is not a personal attack. A personal attack is calling you a name or saying some thing bad about you. Because I disagreed with you made it personal. Thats why I said you are hostile. At the same time I acknowledged your article you did not acknowledge mine. Its almost as if you questioned if it was credible. I guess if someone doesnt agree with you they are hostile.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Disagreeing with you is not a personal attack. A personal attack is calling you a name or saying some thing bad about you. Because I disagreed with you made it personal. Thats why I said you are hostile. At the same time I acknowledged your article you did not acknowledge mine. Its almost as if you questioned if it was credible. I guess if someone doesnt agree with you they are hostile.
Read your own post,

Of course, the latter quote was your response to my post when I cited the magazine reviews, including the issue you admittedly own and article you have read. Logically, I will not acknowledge an article that I have not read. You can attempt to spin it anyway you want, but the cited article made its claim, you claimed to own the article, and then responded with your belligerent post.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:54 AM
popa71

Your full of it!!!!!!!!! Bottom line XMOD is a great buy. It runs 11mph stock, its upgradable, inexpensive and its a much better value than the Mini-z. This guy is such an expert who reads everything quotes one line from the magazine but really dont know squat. You claim I started this. But my first post had nothing to do with you you responded to my post, and you are very wrong
Old 01-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

The bottom line as you so put it is that you spent more on your Xmod and according to you it runs as fast as a stock Mini-Z. Again, I don't care which car the guy purchases since he can read all the reviews for himself and make his own choice. You made your choice, I made mine, and everyone else can make their own choice as well.
My xmod is moving about at around 15 mph.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:59 PM
miniRCfan

wow they are just cars I have 2 Xmods and no clue as to how fast they are stock or other wise. But they are fun and from reading numerous other posts from other people I will also be getting a couple of mini z's.

Back to the original question Xmod or Mini Z? I bought the Xmod on a whim I was not into RC's at all now I own 2 and a Mini T. I can not compare to the mini z yet because I don't own one but it seems their is more room for mods with the mini z (I own all Radio Shack Mods for my Xmods.) My suggestion is buy them both!
Old 01-12-2004, 06:36 PM
popa71

Boy 6mph must really be fast!!!!!!!![link]http://www.xmodrc.com/downloads/xmod.wmv[/link]!
Old 01-17-2004, 11:51 PM
NitroNoob

Don't own either one yet. But I have tried both at my LHS indoor track. IMO I like the Mini Z more. The Mini Z overall feels smoother compared to the XMOD, especially in tighter corners. In terms of speed the Mini Z felt faster, but the XMod wasn't slow either. Also the Mini Z controller seems to be of better quallity than the XMOD. From what other racers have told me, Mini Z is the way to go if you plan on doing any racing. However you can't go wrong with the price of an XMOD. Thats my honest opinion....., take it or leave it. [8D]
Old 01-18-2004, 12:16 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

The bottom line as you so put it is that you spent more on your Xmod and according to you it runs as fast as a stock Mini-Z. Again, I don't care which car the guy purchases since he can read all the reviews for himself and make his own choice. You made your choice, I made mine, and everyone else can make their own choice as well.
My xmod is moving about at around 15 mph.
1. Popa71 has a stage 2 upgrade motor.
2. Ignore him tiger, Popa71 is known to be very defensive about what he owns
3. RCCA proves once again there lack of strength they can carry on a subject as they can't even give consistant results. I'm sure the xmod goes faster than 6 mph, but I'm sure it doesn't push 11 either.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:05 AM
popa71

Once again Casey manages to talk about something he doesnt have. I guess that means your known for not knowing what the hell your talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!! But go on Casey tell us about your mini. Or are you just trying to rack up more post!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:58 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

well lol popa, if you wanna get specific I used to own a miniz, and thought it was not only the worst idea ever, but the biggest POS RC car you could buy for 150$. Now, I do own a Mini-T, does that count as a mini? lol

edit: I don't see why you are so outspoken either, i DEFENDED you lol. You said yours went 15 mph after posting they only went 11.2 in RCCA. I told tiger you had a stage 2 motor and u still assume to be rude

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.