Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Dont waste your money on this motor.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:06 PM
davham
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont waste your money on this motor.

I got the mini-t and bought the dynamite 7.2v pack, bearings, shocks, frt & rear street meats and the Trinity monster motor. I also bought the variety pack of Losi pinion gears.
Now with the stock motor w/smallest pinion and all the above installed the truck wants to pull the front end up from a stop. With the largest pinion the top speed is pretty good.
Now with the Trinity motor the truck is slower with any gear. Top speed is slower and acceleration isn't as hard. I am very disappointed in my $26 motor. Maybe I got a dud but the stocker beats it hands down. I will get a speed 300 next time I visit my LHS.
Anyone else try this Trinity motor? Or have tried something else?
Old 02-04-2004, 10:31 PM
chase044
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Dont waste your money on this motor.

im thinking when i get a my batts i ordered i will switch between my chubby and my speed 300 airplane motor to see witch is beter. alot of people are saying that a 14 dollar speed 300 will beat any speed 300 mod motor. my chubby is the same motor as the micro monster. just diffrent stickers on them. so i will post a a reply or something on how much of a diffrence it is.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:35 PM
davham

Please post your results, I want to hear them. I do have a older 300 that is in a parkflyer, I may try that.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:43 PM
chase044

i have this motor in my zagi airplane. and with the stock motor in my zagi it could bearlly fly but with this motor it would turn a bigger prop(2 times the size) and it would almost go strait up. my zagi also only went like 30 mph with stock 400. then replaced with cobalt 400 it now goes over 70 mph. if you buy and it feels like its binding and too hard to turn. its not. its the magnets they use. they are rear eath magnets and are the strongest you can buy. that why they are so expensive for an airplane motors. oh ya there is an opening on it to allow dirt and rocks in. but to fix all you have to do is put screen for screen doors over the big holes and that should fix it. and if your driving and you notice one is coming of or anything stop emediatly. heres the link. http://hobbypeople.net/gallery/131480.asp the only problem is that its a 400. and will suck alot of power. i will try and find a 300 size.
Old 02-05-2004, 02:22 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: chase044
my chubby is the same motor as the micro monster. just diffrent stickers on them.
Isn't the Micro Monster a drop in? If it is, there must be some difference between the Trinity motor and the Peak Racing motor since I had to Dremel the Mini-T motor mount to make the Peak Racing motor fit. What company manufactures both motors Chase?
Old 02-05-2004, 02:28 AM
chase044

im not sure if the monster is then. i am prety sure that the big block and the chubby are the same tho. i am just repeating what i heard from someone else. and i dont now who make the cans for peak and orion. but someone did say that the part number on the big block and the peak were the same. but i am not goin to put the 400 cobalt in because i think it may burn up my stock electronics and destroy my gear diff so im sticking with my chubby.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Cory Ream

Go to [link=http://www.b-p-p.com]www.b-p-p.com[/link]

Get a Scorpion 300. prob the best non brushless motor there is for the Mini T.

Cory
Old 02-05-2004, 11:52 PM
chase044

looks like a nice motor but i dont have a cent of money rite now. and if i do get any money im spending it on a trip to go snow boarding.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:27 AM
brainleak

Did you break in the monster? It has brushes so you should run at least two or three pack thru it at about 1/4 throttle before you really run the motor. The speed 300 is the way to go. I bought a multiplex 280bb then a speed 300. The multiplex was faster than stock and had more torque to boot. But ill never use it again since i got the speed 300. Its 4x faster, way more torque. Wheelies like crazy and the run time is still great to boot! I'm very very impressed for only spending 14 dollars on a motor.

bL
Old 02-06-2004, 09:22 AM
davham

I gave it 25 min on the bench, I dont see it "coming alive" now. Speed 300's are $15 at my LHS, going to go get one today. I will post results.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:51 PM
davham

Update:

Got the Speed 300 and IMO, this is the only motor you need. For $15 it is a bargain. Way more power than the trinity or the stocker. You will have to enlarge the screws holes in the mount plate. I bought the speed 300 6.0 volt and am using a 7.2v pack and it's almost too fast for in the house. Also pinion gear fit is very snug. I now have a cheap trinity for sale. lol
Old 02-09-2004, 08:02 AM
brainleak

not suprised at all. everyone wants to buy the monster motor or the baja for 40 bucks a pop when they can get a speed 300 for 15 and have a faster motor! im glad you can testify to this also!

Brainleak