Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Mini-Z MR-01 differentials: which one to get, and how do I set it properly?

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Mini-Z MR-01 differentials: which one to get, and how do I set it properly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 11:17 PM
geeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini-Z MR-01 differentials: which one to get, and how do I set it properly?

Hi Mini-Z,

I am a newbie. I was turning my MR-01 Corvette C5-R into a new VW Bettle, and I replaced the wheels with some Bug-compatible narrow wheels and soft tires.

I had no idea what I was doing (like I need to qualify that), evidenced by my overtightening the wheel nuts, effectively locking the diff entirely. After I realized that the diff was too tight, I was trying to fine tune it by driving a bit, loosening, then tightening, etc. I never did find a setting that was driveable with the new sticky slicks, and while tweaking the diff settings I stripped the left rear thread of the rear driveshaft. What fun.

So now I have a couple of questions for Mini-Z experts:

1) I read on other threads that the ball differential helps a lot with traction control. Which differentials (Kyosho or other brands) are the best diffs? My house has hardwood floors, so I am looking for the best rear end that I can obtain for that sort of surface, if it'll help me and my kid drive better.

2) Is it difficult to fine-tune the stock differential? I was unable to get the diff to operate evenly between the left side and right side -- as I went faster and faster, one side started pulling even when I accelerated gracefully. While trying to determine an optimal setting I stripped the left rear shaft threads.

Thanks.

-david
Old 04-26-2004, 05:35 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mini-Z MR-01 differentials: which one to get, and how do I set it properly?

Purchase a Kyosho ball diff. As far as fine tuning a stock diff, the only think I've seen people do is add some grease to it. If it's pulling to one side, check your tire wear, suspension, and steering trim.

http://www.kyosho.com/cars/kyod01x2.html