Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Thinking of not getting an Xmod...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 06:58 AM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinking of not getting an Xmod...

Sorry I can't afford 28 mini-z's....looking at your Z pic post on the first page,I can't afford alot of the things you have.Must be nice...just remember that when you bash someone for considering an Xmod because of the price.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excuse me? I didn't bash you "for considering an Xmod because of the price." I wrote what I did because of your contradictory statements and your comments in your earlier post, i.e. putting $1000 into a $180 RC car. Something I made very clear in one of my latest posts. If someone was just up front about it and said they only wanted to spend or could only spend around $50.00, I'd recommend an Xmod or an Iwavier depending on the use and road surface. I've made that point numerous times on this forum.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:18 PM
IamDisaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of getting an Xmod...

Tigger has some good points, regarding the MR01/iWaver vs. MR02, I forgot to mention regarding the servo saver and lower Cg...especially important if you are going to be racing. He is probably also correct about the plastic being cheaper. I've never known a Chinese knockoff to use as good materials, or as good tolerances, as the original. Having said that, the point I'm trying to get across is an iWaver IS a much better car than an Xmod. Also, I've never broken an iWaver body, but I have broken two Mini-Z bodies (cracked the grill on a Nissan Skyline and broke the mirrors of a Porsche.) Two of our 4 Xmods are sidelined with broken CV driveshafts. This is the weak link of the Xmod and if you don't want to be tearing it apart all the time you will want to invest in the $20 aluminum driveshafts. If one was to be spending only $50 bucks, their money would be better spent on the iWaver which has a better control, better operating distance, less interference, and down the road can take all the Mini-Z hop-ups and upgrades.

I bought my iWavers from this Ebay reseller and he let me combine shipping on a 4 car order.
[link=http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZunitradesolutionsQQsosortord erZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1]Ebay iWavers[/link]

I also think they are way more fun if you have two or know someone else with one. IMHO, a little healthy racing competition can make the fun go on and on. Otherwise, after spending a few days buzzing them around furniture you will probably get bored with them.

We race ours on a RadioShack Xmod track.

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: GALAXY
I hate cheap stuff.
As IaD mentioned the Iwavers are cheaper, but they are also cheaper for a reason--like the MR01 there is not servo saver and the center of gravity is higher. The plastic also appears to be cheaper than what is used on a Mini-Z. Yes, I own an Iwaver too. However, Iwaver is also releasing some newer models, appears to have upgraded slightly, and as increased their pricing. Unlike the Xmod, the Iwaver can also handle a different transmitter radio.

The thing is that this thread has turned into the typical BS thread I keep reading throughout many forums and that is because so many claim to want the best, but don't want to spend money on the best or even on a better product, they only want cheap whether they want to admit it or not. Consequently, the name of this thread should probably be changed to something like "I only want to spend a few bucks, so which RC can I purchase."
Old 10-19-2004, 05:03 PM
GALAXY

Default RE: Thinking of getting an Xmod...

I'm sorry TNB,not sure why that got the way it did but,my bad.Out of all the members on here you're probably the most knowledgable about these little cars (no disrespect to anyone else) and I should have made it a bit clearer that NOW money is an issue.When I put all that money into the RS4 3 SS I was in a different situation and had alot more cash to play with.I do hate cheap stuff but at the moment for a better cat toy than my supra,$50 seems like thats about it for now.I'm sure if I got an xmod and actually drove it a few times and thought it was cool,I'd get a mini-z later on so maybe it could be a stepping stone.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Then for $50, an Xmod may be the better choice for you since it appears there is a Radio Shack in your area. And although the Iwaver is a better track car (in my opinion) than an Xmod, replacement parts may be an issue and it probably doesn't matter that much as long as you have the room to turn it. I do know that Hobby People sells the Iwaver but they are only located in Nevada and California. HP does have an online store and Mini-ZRacer is also supposed to start stocking the Iwaver soon, but either way that would be an online purchase and probably a 3-day wait game unlike getting replacement parts for the Xmod if a Radio Shack is in your area. Have fun with the Xmod, but just remember the Xmod doesn't handle as well as either the Iwaver or the Z so try not to judge the other minis based on an Xmod.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:50 PM
Evader 53

I've gotta go take a look at these IWavers...never heard of them before. Can't wait, in a month or so I am gonna head up to radio shack and buy myself another X-mod...the Mustang
Old 10-20-2004, 09:13 AM
GALAXY

I was lookin online last night and showing the mini-z's and xmods to my girlfriend and she wants the silver cobra mini-z.Figures she would pick one of the more expensive ones but thats cool...means I'll have to get a MR-02 as well and a WRX body for it but I'm sure we'd have more fun with them than the xmods.I guess I was thinkin I just wanted something quick,(as in within a couple weeks) but I think I'd rather wait and get the better quality cars.Mailorder isn't really a big deal...my other 2 cars were both from Tower and the only thing I hated was waiting on fuel or glow plugs but I now have another local source for that.I'd probably not need to upgrade much on em except sets of tires so that will be fine.It'll be a month or two but quality prevails...it'll be a Z for me.

Thanks Tigger..you were very helpful in this decision,I think I'm gonna get the silver McLaren F1.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:16 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

The MR01F Shelby Cobra is a very nice little car. However, since it has so much detail, it is pretty much one of my shelf queens. I do drive it on occasion, but it depends on who else is on the track. I've seen one kid totally demolish the body in one day--first the bumperettes, then the side pipes, then the windshield. He only knew one thing and that was WOT. Steering, duh. It's definitely not a racer body. The Shelby Cobra also uses treaded tires and has an MR02 ball diff, so if you decide to upgrade the diff make sure to get the proper ball diff--it will be listed in the owner's manual.

Regarding the MR02 McLarens, two were demo'd at Hobby Visions and beat to heck over 4 days. The only thing that happened was that the headlight lenses popped out of one of them--nothing that a little CA wouldn't fix. The orange one does have slightly more detail than the silver one--The orange one has two extra logos on the windshield and an extra logo on the rear. Most people probably wouldn't even know the difference between the silver and orange since the details are so fine, but since I own both I compared the bodies side-to-side. According to one of the Japanese websites, another pre-painted body is also coming out for the MR02 McLaren but I have no idea when it will be available. It could be months before it hits Tower.

Tires, bearings, and rechargeable batteries are the big things. The price on the X-speed option motor has also dropped. However, I wouldn't get carried away with the tires until you decide what surface you will run on most of the time since the softer tires are more expensive and don't last as long. On some surfaces, the harder stock tires work fine. Another thing to watch is that some tires come in sets and are different sizes. I'm also not sure if Tower has any replacement tires for the Shelby Cobra yet since the owner of one of the LHS asked me about getting replacement tires. A few others I know are using Xmod tires and double-sided tape on their Zs.

Have fun.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:13 PM
GALAXY

Is it the ball diff in the cobra that makes it more expensive? I noticed it was $130 but it wasn't quite a MR-02...said it had brakes but I wasn't quite sure.Are there any major differences in the 2 that would make one slower or anything?
Old 10-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

I don't think the stock diff would make that much difference but the MR-02 optional ball diff is more expensive than the MR-01 optional ball diff. Either way, those diffs are usually cheaper than the F1 ball diff. I just think the Shelby Cobra is probably more expensive than other MR-01s because it is one of the newer MR-10Fs, has a lot of detail, and basically appears to have special tires and wheels. The newer models are also usually higher priced and as I wrote somewhere on this forum, the bodies alone even have different prices. Even a F1 Ferrari #1 (Schumacher) is usually priced higher than an F1 Ferrari #2 (Borrichello)--the only difference is the number and Schumacher is seven-time World Champion F1 driver.

The thing to remember is that an MR-01F Shelby Cobra is still based on an 01. That means it has a higher center of gravity than the 02s, has no servo saver, and no brakes. It uses reverse to brake. The 02s use a double-tap forward trigger for reverse which can be adjusted out for that matter. I'm not to sure about the boards, but I do know that the 2003 Season F1s have a different board than the older F1s. However, I think it deals more with the radio transmitter and adjustments since the newer F1s all have the newer style radio.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:18 AM
GALAXY

hmmm....you think I could just get a cobra body and fit it on a MR-02? I'd kinda like 2 of the same cars to make it even to start out with.

I'll definitly have to invest in rechargables with 2 of those.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

This is my short version of that question: The body is probably too narrow to fit an MR-02 and the wheel wells would probably have to be hacked up to make it fit. In my opinion, it would be a waste of a very nice body.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:10 PM
GALAXY

ok,yeah...I wouldn't wanna hack it up or anything so thanks.Is there a difference in performance other than the brake,in the MR-01 and MR-02 that would make the newer one faster?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Faster as in a drag race? I'm not sure if the MR-2 is lighter or not, but it appears it may be depending on the bodies. Once again, the MR02 has a lower center of gravity and a servo saver in addition to a brake when compared to the MR01. That helps make the MR02 handle better, so a decent driver can probably drive it faster than an MR01 in the turns. I know, I've noticed the difference on a track and all the lap times I've seen show the MR02 is faster overall.

BTW, I'm not going to reply on this thread anymore since most everything has already been covered on the Xmod v. Mini-Z thread and the more recent Racer/F1 photo thread that I started. If you want to ask more questions of me, I suggest you review the Racer/F1 thread and ask any further questions on that thread. Battery and charging issues have also been covered on the MMT photo thread.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:28 AM
87_Mustang_GT

Ok, i think that x-mods and mini z's have some similarities and some differences. They both have a lot of aftermarket support (mini z's more widly known) but there is an xmod aftermarket. They both have very good durability. The part about the xmod having cheaply made parts isn't really true, and for the "cheap" plastic can be replaced w/ good 'ol carbon fiber. I have 2 xmods (one being a parts car). The one that I use goes 21.3 MPH (radared) and it runs on 4 aaa batteries and i have spent under 100 dollars on it. it is very reliable and fun. but since its gonna be your car its your decision, so good luck. IMO, they are pretty close.