Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum
View Poll Results: A poll
Iwaver
26.32%
Mini Z
52.63%
Xmod
21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Which mini?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 06:32 AM
ozzy9039
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which mini?

All three seem to have the positives & there negatives. Please feel free to add any thoughts.

Xmods Pros:

- 50.00 (Leaves a lot of money for upgrades and extras)
- Metal Pinion Gear (instead of plastic)
- Case included
- A little more simple to work on
- Body kits for the bodies

Xmods Cons:

- Stock motor is something to be desired (but can be easily upgraded for low cost)
- A slight slop in front steering (Once again a low cost upgrade to fix)
- No MR02 (laydown battery style) chassis style available yet

Mini Z Pros:

- Very good steering and control
- Stock motor good speed
- MR02 chassis
- Nice controller

Mini Z Cons:

- High Cost 99.00 - 150.00
- Plastic Pinion gears

Iwaver Pros:

- Exact Replica to Mini Z
- Low Cost like xmod 50.00 to 80.00
- MR02 Chassis comes with digital controller
- 01 Pro & 02 models come with Fets already installed
- MR02 chassis

Iwaver Cons:

- Plastic Pinion Gear
Old 04-21-2005, 05:09 PM
ozzy9039

Default RE: Which mini?

Any Reasons for choices?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Xmod Pros
--Radio Shacks all over the place for standard replacement parts.
--Radio Shack sells RCP Tracks and gave away a full size car at the last Radio Shack XRL Tournament.
--Cheap introductory R/C which is good for bashing.
--AWD option.

Xmod Cons
--Stock Radio has limited transmission range.
--Lack of ability to use other AM radios.
--Limited models, i.e. no Overlands, Monsters, F1s or boats.
--Looks like a spin off of a Mini-X (not very original).

Kyosho Mini-Z Pros
--Kyosho is expanding and has recently opened an office in the United States.
--Established relationship in the RC world as well as with RCP Tracks.
--FM radio/board available as an upgrade or with certain models in some areas.
--World wide racing events and timing systems/accessories targeted at Kyosho Mini-Zs, i.e. CoreRacing, Ko Propo, and AmbIt.
--Certain RC companies target Kyosho Mini-Z and work with Kyosho, i.e. Ko Propo and its optional Mini-Z module for the Ko Propo Helios Ex-10. Other examples include optional AM Conversion Modules for the Futaba T3PK and Airtronics M8.
--Larger selection of quality built bodies and a variety of models, i.e. MR01, MR015, MR02, Overland, Monster, F1, and Formula 1 boat.

Kyosho Mini-Z Cons
--More of a track type car due to the additional expense.

Iwaver Pros
--Cheaper in price than most Kyosho Mini-Zs, so is better suited for bashing than a Kyosho Mini-Z.
--Can use Kyosho parts as a fix as well as the better quailty Kyosho/Autoscale bodies as an option.
--Newer type Fets in certain models.

Iwaver Cons
--Availability and domestic support is lacking.
--Steering issues since not the same as a Kyosho Mini-Z.
--Quality control is lacking.
--Looks like a spin off of some of Kyosho Mini-Z line series with cheaper looking bodies.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:07 PM
ozzy9039

Tigger N. Bennie,

Do you think the iwavers are different than the mini z's? I have all three. I see the positives & negatives with them, but looking at my mr02 miniz and my mr02 iwaver and even driving them....I see no difference and as far as I can tell all parts are interchangeable. Thus, all my upgrades on my iwaver are actually mini-z parts. As far as xmods, yes they could use a touch-up, but for the price difference, you can fix the "little problems" (which someone not on a track might not notice) for very low cost and still have saved money for some good hop-ups. Which the motor is a must! The x-speed is of course my choice for the xmod because even the xmods stage 2 is about the stock miniz motor, so that had to be changed. Thanks for the stimulating conversation... I hope to keep this going until we can tare all the negatives and positives out.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

You have all three what? One Xmod, one Iwaver (which type (Pro or standard)), and one Z (which type MR02)? I own one Xmod, one Iwaver 01 (Ferrari), one Iwaver 01 Pro (Ford GT40), and 33 RTR Kyosho Mini-Zs which include 9 MR01s, 10 MR02s (MMs, RMs, & 1 RML), 5 Overlands, 3 Monsters (two 40th Chrome AEs and one Type 2), and 6 F1s. Have you raced them all on an RCP Track? If so, where and how large of an RCP Track?

If the Iwaver was the "same" as the Kyosho Mini-Z, I wouldn't be reading so many posts from people complaining about the steering issues. My Iwavers should also respond better to my Futaba T3PK as well if both the Iwaver and Kyosho Mini-Z were identical. It's my understanding that the pots are different and that's according to some of the die hard Iwaver sellers/enthusiasts. Myself, I also don't care about the newer Iwaver radio or getting stuck with the cost of paying more for a worthwhile radio since I already own one top notch radio that can control numerous R/Cs including both AM and FM. However, I still prefer to have proper performing electronics and if Iwaver releases an FM R/C as well, I guess we'll all see for ourselves how much of "another" copy an Iwaver is compared to a Kyosho Mini-Z.

Second, I have yet to have any quality control issues with any of my Kyosho Mini-Zs (or the demos I have used) yet both of my Iwavers (or 2 out of 2) had body issues including paint and fit. In my opinion, part of the cost of owning a Kyosho Mini-Z is because of the higher quality body and if Iwaver used an actual Kyosho/AutoScale body, the price would be right up there with the Kyosho Mini-Z. Perhaps, Iwaver anticipated a body change anyway since some have both the MM and RM motor pods. I also had to replace the gear on one of my Iwavers and although I used a Kyosho replacement, it needed a little work to make it fit. And perhaps, Iwaver also considered that Kyosho option parts would be used as a fix so they didn't really care about adequate quality control. This could also explain why I've read numerous posts about people blowing the fets in the upgraded Iwavers. However, to be fair I've also read numerous complaints about people blowing the fets in Kyosho Mini-Zs using some of the PN Racing Speedy's and Speedy5 though I've used them without any problems.

Regarding motors, I'm running NML SSv3, NML SSv2, PN Racing S04, PN Racing Speedy5, PN Racing Speedy, Kyosho Xspeed, and Kyosho stock motors. Consequently, when running the hot NML motors and the S04s, my freaking RCs better be able to turn when I want them too. Perhaps, in this regard there is a trade off since it may be possible to use a slightly faster motor in an Iwaver if it has actually undergone proper quality control even if the potentiometer needs to be replaced since the use of the NML SSv3, NML SSv2 and PN Racing S04 will require a Kyosho Mini-Z to have a fet upgrade though I don't know if the Iwaver will handle any of those particular motors anyway. If you ever decide to drop an NML SSv3 into an Iwaver and it doesn't blow the fets, let me know.

I also have all the Radio Shack upgrades for the Xmod; however, the only thing I really like about it is the light kit and the body kit. In other words, it's practically a die cast car. Even though NML is a personal friend of mine, I've never even considering dropping in one of his Stage 12 motors into an Xmod or even considered purchasing some of Byrd's products since my Xmod has served its purpose--to compare it and to use it in the Radio Shack XRL Tournament though I decided against entering the race since I can't stand how the Radio Shack option part only Xmod handles.

By the way, many times you can purchase Kyosho Mini-Zs cheaper than the prices you have posted above, especially when Tower is having a sale and one applies their coupons or even takes advantage of their "scratch and dents". However, who knows what the "newer" pricing will be until Kyosho finally sets up its new California office and distribution center. Meanwhile, I've seen some of those overseas Iwaver retailers hitting people hard with overseas shipping.

I also own the 1/16th Scale Kyosho Mini-Inferno too. I wonder if Iwaver plans to release a buggy or even a boat like the Kyosho Formula 1 boat. After all, if I recall correctly, the older Iwaver 00 controller looks just like the one used with the Kyosho Preditor 60 boat.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:30 AM
ozzy9039

Tigger N. Bennie,

Wow! I must say pretty impressive knowledge and of course quantity of actual comparissons. Thank you for the comparisson. I'll be honest I usually run stock or slightly above/no fets needed (example V speed). I usually run v-speed on the oval and stock on the road course otherwise I seem to attack the walls! Oh, MR02's by the way. So, you seem to have it down pat,......well I do have a question than...I have been looking for two boddies in particular... the Kyosho Taisan Porsche GT3R or another Porsche GT3R It is white with graphics down the side. I have seen them, but can't find either to purchase anywhere. Any help with this one? By the way, I hope you do not mind, but I will have to keep you in mind whenever I have a mini problem. [8D] I am mainly into the bigger 1/10 and a little heli action, but "the track" with the mini's is probably some of the most enjoyable! Thanks again.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Tower did have the Porches, but it looks like the white is no longer listed and the Taisan is shown as discontinued.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXEBE1**&P=7

I purchased the white RTR on eBay and have seen both listed on eBay every now and then. I did know someone in California who was selling the white RTR fully loaded but it has already been sold. If I recall correctly, High Desert Hobbies in Palmdale, California had one but I haven't been there in a year. Their telephone number is 661-267-6877 and website is http://www.highdeserthobbies.com though it doesn't appear like the website has been updated in about a year. It seems like MiniZRacer (http://www.minizracer.com) had the Taisan at one time, but it appears they are having server issues so you'll have to check their later. You can also email MZR's shop and ask them to try and get you one if you want.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:52 PM
ozzy9039

I found those bodies at hobbyonsale.com They have them both, even in readysets. I went ahead and ordered one, but now I'm wondering if the body will fit the MR02 chassis. (I ordered the white one). I bought a new MR02 chassis. All I need is the body now and I'll have another. I also like that new mustang body shell!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54807.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	261575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53550.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	261576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46147.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	261577  
Old 04-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

I don't think that the Porsche body will fit an MR02 (or at least won't fit without some drastic dremeling). I think the Porsche body is too short to fit an MR02mm and even if you made it fit an MR02rm, the wheel base is too wide on the MR02 chassis so the wheels and tires will probably stick out. Bascially, only some of the wide body MR01s will fit on an MR02 chassis.

I also own the blue Mustang. For photos of my Zs and a few other RCs, visit http://mini-zracer.com/gallery/TNB
Old 04-23-2005, 10:32 AM
ozzy9039

Where did you get the mustang body!!!!????!?!?!?!?!?!? [X(]

All my hobby shops say they can't even get it yet.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:22 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

That's because they probably order Kyosho items from Great Planes and there is a lag time, not to mention that Kyosho has recently opened an office in California. Check MiniZRacer.com or eBay.