Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

rc18mt stock 370 vs. reedy minimax 290

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 06:11 PM
thrilsekr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc18mt stock 370 vs. reedy minimax 290

I wonder if it would be advantageus to get the reedy mini-max motor which is 290 size, where-as the stock motor is a 370? I would think the 370 would be a better motor.
Either way, what would a good ratio be for running around in the back yard. For grass, driving up trees, and being chased by the dog.
I also have a different 370 motor but I don't know the turns etc. what do the numbers on the can mean?
rc18mt
rk-370sd-5028
td095404
other
rk-370sd-4045
tn095418

Thrilsekr
Old 08-15-2005, 08:05 PM
mouser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rc18mt stock 370 vs. reedy minimax 290

I dont think there would be an advantage to get the Reedy. Reedy makes good motors, but switching from a 370 to 290 would be kind of drastic. You should keep with the stock can size.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:45 PM
nickd

From others experiances I can tell you the reedy is a faster motor
is it lower winds and over all a hotter motor
Check out other 1/18 scale sites for more info I think its a bit expencive though
I made the leap from the stock 280 to a mamba 8000 (big difference)
Nick
Old 08-16-2005, 03:53 AM
Big-Kid

The Reedy Min-Max is a faster motor. It will last longer and is also rebuildable. The cost is of course higher, but so is any other aftermarket motor.

Those numbers refer to the size of the motor can. I'm wasn't aware that the Mini-Max was 290? I thought it was 300 sized? When the RC18 was first released, it came with a 280. With the release of the MT version, they both seem to be arriving with that 370 motor. Both of which are described as "throw away motors" from AE. Not rebuildable and not meant to last for the long tem[X(].

The motors with the bigger can size is not always relative to power like displacement useually is. It is tricky at times, more so because they don't speak of micro motors in "turns" like they do for the 540 motors. we need to rely more on reveiws and other peoples suggestions. try some of the other sites for rewviews and motor tests. There are a number of good, dependable motors available, and more on the way[8D]
Old 08-16-2005, 10:51 AM
thrilsekr

I contacted AE. They said that the Reedy MiniMax is not a 290 size it is the model number. I didn't ask what size it was..

But they could not help with the gearing.
They said if I switch to the reedy to change my gearing to 10-60. But the MT comes with that gearing already.
They said they will call me back about the new MT gearing...

About the numbers on the can.
I would like to know if one is different turns, because maybe the other motor will be better than the stock, and I will not have to buy the reedy.

Thrilsekr
Old 08-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Big-Kid

10/60 is fine, or try 12/60. It's really something that will be tailored to your specific truck. There will always be differences from one persons to the next, I.E. : tire size, motor, ESC, diff tighness, etc... All of these things and a couple more will affect the gear ratio you chose. Other things like grass and uphill climbs will require more torgue or bottom end. If you race on a bigger 10th scale track, you going to want more top end. There isn't one "magic pill" that will automatically transform your truck into a beast. The best secanrio is to have different gears available, and test and tune. You can adjust so much better after trying them out yourself. This is the same for nitro gear combinations and for tuning engines. The base or starting point they give you to break an engine in is just that, a starting point. They will tell you 2-1/2 on the low speed and 3 on the high speed needle. All of the above mentioned things will play apart in tuning a nitro engine and gear selection, and way more.

Have you tried it with the 10/60 combo and don't like it? Is that why you want another gear combo or motor? What are you looking to get out of a new motor?

The Mini-Max is probably a 300 motor. I don't know what those numbers you posted are for, but they are both considered "stock" motors. I don't know if AE will be able to tell you exactly how many winds it is either, unless thye take it apart. How much of a difference will it make? Everyoone assumes the stock 370 is faster or has more torque than the stock 280. Is that what you are lookinf for? With the 2 of them being so cheap, I don't see much difference there? Plus with the realease of the 370, I haven't seen the 280 on any of the LHS shelves.

The Mini-Max is better on so many levels. Re-buildable, will last longer, more speed and torque. It's not just about how many winds or RPM's it has. Just use the stock motor you have now, it's a decent motor for an RTR issued motor. When or if it goes kaput, then get something else. You maybe sold on them. If after a handlefull of packs have gone by and you want more speed, then go get the Mii-Max or something similar.[8D]
Old 08-16-2005, 04:19 PM
schmism

I have the Reedy motor. I didnt notice a huge diffrence b/w that and the stock 370. (a fuz faster and more torque) they are the same diameter, with the reedy being a tad longer due to the rebuildable brushes on the back

I got the reedy b/c i burnt through the stock 370 in like 30 packs
Old 04-30-2007, 06:06 PM
lowridinjuggalo
My Feedback: (7)

i have got the 19t mini reedy motor in mine and its alot faster the the stock motor with the mini t stock wheels on it the thing with wheely out the hole. i got it cuse my stock motor was gone in 5 pack plus i wanted more speed