1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

1/16th Nitro Engines????

Old 12-14-2005, 02:43 AM
Mopzilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1/16th Nitro Engines????

WOW! NICE baby inferno!!

I got my big shipment in today, which is perfect... I finished my last final, Calculus, tonight, so now I can work on this as much as I want!!! I got my 32p associated clutchbell, and what do you know, I was right! The pinion gear fit inside the clutchbell perfectly, and so i could have it ride the prop screw without bearings. Works great... but I decided I want to shorten it to reduce strain on the engine. And I did. I essentially cut off the 32p bell part, and was left with a clutchbell without gear, and just a hole. The pinion gear fit right in!!! As you can see, it is a pretty good fit. Looks like it was made for it.

To fit the flywheel on the engine, I put tiny little pins in the sides of the prop washer, and made a groove across the flywheel's back, and drilled out a half inch hole for the prop washer. So the flywheel and prop washer are essentially one piece. I got the bearings in, but I doubt I will be using them.. maybe only on the end, if it all works out.

I got the disk brake.. it amazes me how such a small disk could stop a Traxxas nitro 4-tec. Well it should be enough for this truck.

Tomorrow I am going to break in the engine on a stand with a prop, using glow fuel. Hopefully I can have this truck done by the end of this week... hopefully. Oh, and I still need to build a starter box.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26363.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	369869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20282.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	369870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57551.jpg
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	369871  
Old 12-14-2005, 05:36 AM
fastboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the first pic you did is essentially how my rc18 clutch is,except my clutchbell is made myself and is blank with no teeth,the clutchbell then has a stub studlocked into it onto which the normal pinion goes...this way i can still have a bearing in the clutchbell...just remember if the pinions you are using are hard anodised then they will wear the shaft out before the pinion bore.

if for some reason your really struggling with the clutch then i can make you a clutchbell with a 48dp gear locked onto it like on my inferno and just charge you what it cost me in materials(about $25).

dave
Old 12-14-2005, 06:43 AM
fastboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dont know wether you saw the other pics i put up,i changed the brake to a disc version and made a pipe for it using some of that home weld stuff,the pipe has definately increased the power but i think the normal glow plugs are not the way to go,even with the duff norvel plug the engine is so much more lively on the stand even on a richer mixture,i have to lean the engine about a quarter to get the same power feel with a normal plug and then it gets too hot,so i think you may have to get me some plugs from norvel.
i understand they have a couple of heat range plugs tho?

cheers
dave
Old 12-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Mopzilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So you took my advice, and put the brake up front! haha.

Thanks Dave for your offer in help!!! I don't wanna hassle you, so I will give it a shot with just one bearing. I am just not very good at doing this precision work with parts. I can build a decent airplane as it is all made of soft wood. But I do with what I have. I think I am going to drill out a 5/16" short hole in the end of the clutchbell assembly and just have one bearing sitting on the end of the shaft. The entire unit is very small already. I would have a bearing about 4mm wide and the pinion gear about 5 or 6mm total, and that would be all that's riding on the shaft. Not bad, I think! Who cares... shaft breaks down, I'll get a new one.

I see you are using sub-micro servos all around (HS-55 size). Is that enough? I opted for the larger standard micro servo and decided to skip the servo saver part, mostly cause the saver that came with the FT 18T was junk. For throttle and brake I will use an HS-55 size though.

GLOW PLUGS: A lot of people in the 1/2A planes forum say the Norvel plugs work great. There is only one plug for the .074, unfortunately, but man.. that thing should last you at least 6 months of weekly running. Let me know when you want to get the plugs from the site, and I will get some stuff also and I'll ship it to your house for the 5 bux or whatever.

Nice pipe! I think a lot of people are gonna have a challenge competing against you with their Toki .051 powered Miwi's, IRC's, and X-rays!! Just don't ever show em whats under the hood....

I gotta go to work soon.. have a good night!
Old 12-14-2005, 10:24 AM
fastboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ok mate cheers...asap for the plugs

yah if you struggle with the clutch give me a shout and we can sort something out.

i wouldnt say the hss55 is too bad to be honest,i would prefer a micro ballraced one tho of the same size but for now works well enough.
i had to make a sleeve over the exposed spring on the clutch shoes as it was expanding so much it was coming off at full rpm(basically because its for bigger shoes off the kyosho nitro 10's) so i made a sleeve to go over the outer clutchbell which now covers the spring so that works ok.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:37 PM
Mopzilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fastboy

ok mate cheers...asap for the plugs

yah if you struggle with the clutch give me a shout and we can sort something out.

i wouldnt say the hss55 is too bad to be honest,i would prefer a micro ballraced one tho of the same size but for now works well enough.
i had to make a sleeve over the exposed spring on the clutch shoes as it was expanding so much it was coming off at full rpm(basically because its for bigger shoes off the kyosho nitro 10's) so i made a sleeve to go over the outer clutchbell which now covers the spring so that works ok.
cool! you got it down..

man i just started breaking in my norvel .061... what a great engine!!! i am using a spring starter- it starts on the second or third flip. so nice. the only thing is, i just flooded the engine, then tried to turn it back over and sliced my finger when the prop came around.. same [Language EDIT] finger i sliced up about 3 weeks ago. this time the cut was only about 4mm deep, not bad.. last time, if it had not been for the bone, i would have lost part of my finger.

oh well, it is 8:30pm here and the neighbors might get pissed off [:@], so i will continue with the break in tomorrow morning. I am gonna get my paycheck tomorrow so we can do the glow plug thing 24 hrs from now
Old 12-15-2005, 05:28 AM
fastboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

get a chicken stick or like me a length of wooden dowel with a groove cut into it at near the end so it locates onto the prop so it doesnt slide back and forth.had to warm my engine up with a hairdryer to get it to turn over it was very very tight,even now on the starter box i have to loosen the plug a bit to get it to spin.

ive just actually fitted my other engine,an ap09 wasp engine,i bought it and never used so while awaiting the plugs ill break this engine in and give it a try,beauty is its ballraced,takes normal plugs and a normal flywheel etc drop straight onto it ,just a bit bigger than an 074 but not as powerful or as light,i had a quick look inside and i swear the liner is about 6mm thick,id say about 70% weight of the engine is from the liner hehe.

dave
Old 12-15-2005, 03:46 PM
fastboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i got the other engine installed and broken in,damn this thing runs smooth and ticks over at very low rpm...it felt powerful when revving it on the box so i chucked it down in the back garden with 5% nitro/20% castor mix in the tank..omg this thing is quick..much quicker than the norvel(i dont figure)..it really hauls on take off..so much so that after about 30 seconds i lost drive to the rear of the car..i had managed to strip all 3 outdrives on the rear gearbox..the plastic bit which screws into the diff had splayed open on each one so gotta get some more!
i cant understand as this engine only says .25hp and the norvel i supposed to be .34 yet this kicks its butt,maybe i have a duff norvel

dave
Old 12-16-2005, 12:57 AM
Mopzilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It might be the plug you are using on your norvel. I have heard that the AP .09 is good only if you have a tail-heavy airplane. The norvel comes with 3 shims and the .074 plug. If you remove one shim it will make a big increase in power! I am very happy with running my norvel .061, and the spring starter works great. Good idea with the chicken stick groove thing. A starter or regular chicken stick ain't never gonna hold onto that tiny propnut!
Old 01-31-2006, 07:48 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I came across this thread in search of a clutch for 1/2A/.049 engines. I have an MX400 electric heli kit and this one was chosen over the others because of its metal side frames allowing the installation of a glow engine. I had intended to adapt LiteMachines components but they're somewhat more robust than required. Won't fit.

Can anyone update on the nature and availability of 1/16th cars? Anyone own and run these and what might the clutch look like??

BTW, the Norvel .06 engine can be made to throttle perfectly with the use of Big Mig components and the addition of an adjustable airbleed to the throttle.

Or, just use the LiteMachines heli engine with their exhaust throttle. This one also throttles perfectly. Their engine has a brass bushing up front to absorb the extra side loads that running gears imposes. Aircraft versions of this engine aren't bushed as side loads aren't an issue.

One trick to using the Norvel/LM engines is that a good break in with a prop is a must. The REAL trick in that is to use a heat gun to get the engine hot for all the initial startups. This expands the cylinder and takes out the pinch at the top. Once broken in, this snagging at TDC isn't as much of an issue.

These engines have a hard anodized cylinder and the pores hold oil very well and even when very tight, they'll turn over easily. But any decent prime washes out the oil and you get lock up. Till you get it broken in, that is.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:34 PM
screaming_chankla
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any more pics on the completed rc18t Mopzilla? Fastboy's pics aren't working anymore.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:43 PM
fastboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

no sorry..my isp managed to delete all my website by mistake...and silly me didnt have the pics backed up.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:17 PM
screaming_chankla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man, I'm really thinking of coverting my rc18t from brushless to nitro.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:33 AM
Mopzilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys! I am kind of slow on this stuff. I totalled my car about a month ago and haven't touched anything r/c since. My job load has increased now that I need a beater to drive around, and I go to school. I am still pretty much where I left off in this thread.. not too far. Just need to find a few hours to sit down and finish it! There are a few spacing problems I need to figure out, because I glued the slipper clutch mount piece a little to far off, so I need to figure out a way to make the shaft fit... though it is only like 2mm off. It sure is too bad that Norvel stopped selling their own engines, and jacked up the price on them by selling through sig... []

btw - I think I saved all of fastboy's pics to my other computer so I could refer to them to see how stuff was done so I will post them later if I find them! That okay with you, fastboy?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:42 AM
Mopzilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 1705493-AndyW

I came across this thread in search of a clutch for 1/2A/.049 engines. I have an MX400 electric heli kit and this one was chosen over the others because of its metal side frames allowing the installation of a glow engine. I had intended to adapt LiteMachines components but they're somewhat more robust than required. Won't fit.
Hi Andy! The LMH 116 .061 motor series weren't too hot with the smaller engines, but they flew pretty good with the .074's. I am not sure what pitch the LMH gears are - but finding a good ratio for a heli is going to be tough. That is, unless you run a tall ratio but use one of your diesel converted .074's. Are you using the heli with a 4 channel or a 5+ channel computer radio? It would be better with a 6ch computer radio, cause then you could do the collective pitch and throttle curves better for the small engines. Gear shafts: the LMH clutch shaft for the .061 will only fit the heli-norvels, but the .074 shaft will fit a regular airplane .074. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2006, 04:56 AM
fastboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sure mate repost them all!!!!!!!!!!

if you can find someway of getting them to me or saving them somewhere i can redownload them then that would be great as i can redo my website...shame you dont have my nitro mini inferno pics too
Old 02-02-2006, 04:39 PM
screaming_chankla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alright, looks like I might be buying a Norvel .061. Not sure yet. I'm still wondering on what I need to do as far as a slipper clutch and an engine clutch is concerned. I'm looking for off the shelf parts to make it work. I don't have access to a milling machine so making my own parts is hard to do with just a dremel.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:25 PM
fastboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have an 074 norvel sat here with clutch on it..and a pipe i made
Old 02-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Mopzilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: screaming_chankla

Alright, looks like I might be buying a Norvel .061. Not sure yet. I'm still wondering on what I need to do as far as a slipper clutch and an engine clutch is concerned. I'm looking for off the shelf parts to make it work. I don't have access to a milling machine so making my own parts is hard to do with just a dremel.
Hey! I'm in the same boat as you - just a dremel. I made a slipper clutch for the RC18T, using a servo saver tube and nut from the RC10's, and fitting it onto the shaft. I drilled out an RC10GT flywheel and made it one with the prop adapter on the norvel. I have one problem though - the engine mount. I have tried sanding and roughing up the plastic chassis and a plastic engine mount (airplane mount) and gluing with epoxy, but the epoxy just does not stick. I think I am going to have to somehow put bolts thru the chassis.

The only thing with the rc10GT clutch shoes is that they have no spring. I don't understand how a clutch can work without a spring, but apparently rc10GT's dont have a spring in the clutch! I will probably get a racing clutch later on if this becomes a problem. Also, I need to make a brake block and calipers... the disk brake will fit on with little modification.

Fastboy... here are some pics I got from your site!

Name:	Zx71895.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	404143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65946.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	404144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31101.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	404145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn32137.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	404146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc39127.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	404147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bs13933.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	404148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg78934.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	404149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qp53256.jpg
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	404150  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc57384.jpg
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	404151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wi50862.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	404152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm57990.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	404153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mw91681.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	404154  
Old 02-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Mopzilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some more

Name:	Qo39684.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	404155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35185.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	404156   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27015.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	404157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq41895.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	404158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk67706.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	404159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev25009.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	404160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj86318.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	404161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Po49794.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	404162  

Name:	Bz49172.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	404163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tf39222.jpg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	404164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag38572.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	404165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd24458.jpg
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	404166  
Old 02-08-2006, 02:01 AM
Mopzilla

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

lots of pics...

Name:	Tr50191.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	404167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53738.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	404168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34622.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	404169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96839.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	404170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi62652.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	404171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb44521.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	404172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb61585.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	404173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gf18369.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	404174  

Name:	Vt28394.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	404175  
Old 02-08-2006, 06:32 AM
fastboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks mop...i can now get another site backup with pics on.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:14 PM
fastboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cheers mop,now i got my site back up..and with a new name

www.MicroNitro.com

im glad you had those pictures of my nitro rc18 saved !!

cheers
dave