Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Xray m18 vs HPI Micro SR4, which micro to go with?

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Xray m18 vs HPI Micro SR4, which micro to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 03:55 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xray m18 vs HPI Micro SR4, which micro to go with?

I have seen both, my friends have HPI micro and had to spend about 125 on upgraded parts after they got the kit... so basically 225 just for the kit not including electronics/servos...
I have looked at the X-ray m18. Looks pretty good as well. What do you guys think the better micro is? I dont' mind spending the money I just don't want a dinky little car that breaks every 2-3 runs. Most of the replacements my friends did on their cars were metal dog bone, ball bearing differencials, tires, micro servo holder...

Should I go with the X-ray M18 or the MRS4? I don't mind upgrading parts on either one, but want the better car after upgrades.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:52 PM
mouser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Xray m18 vs HPI Micro SR4, which micro to go with?

Xray M18, because it is shaft-driven over the belt-driven MRS4.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3587125/tm.htm <--More opinions
Old 11-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Vertical3-D
My Feedback: (20)

I'd say it kinda depends on how and where you run, The rs4 along with a belt drive has a solid rear axel where the m18 has independent suspension all around and a drive shaft, basiclly the rs4 is better suited to smoother and cleaner stuff(indoor, cleaner outdoor stuff)not to say it wont run good on all asphalt but the m18 may be better suited to these conditions. the m18s front and rear diffs and housings are the same i believe for a lower parts count, however the motor mount is plastic so it wont have the heast sink affect the metel rs4 one will. I personally just bought a micro street force(basiclly a micro rs4 with a few different parts but almost the same) for 76 bucks total on ebay, with the stock body, a black dodge viper body, oh and they had futaba radios in them. Its not here yet till later this week, I already have a mamba comp-x package on the way which is an 8000kv motor(should tear @$$)along with two orion battery packs I ordered, I did order metal cvds for the front which I will suggest without even having the car yet, a highend motor especially the highest one mamba makes will thrash those little pieces of plastic like theres no tomorrow.I'll let you know how that goes. but anyway as for which one I'd pick, Id look into what you want to do with it, what you like belt or shaft(I had a nitro tourer with belts and never had any problems with it)Id drive you friends rs4s if you really like them then get one, if you think youd like better handleing get the m18, its all preferance really.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:59 AM
gerwen

With the same ESC/motor/battery, a stock M18 will easily outrun an mrs4 on the track. It's a better handling car. With the right hop-ups the two can be competetive. At our track (stock motors and 5 cell batts) the fast pack is all xrays, but one MRS4 is consistantly making and competing in the a-mains. Makes me wonder if he'd be winning them in an xray or not.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:44 AM
Spacetech

ORIGINAL: gerwen

With the same ESC/motor/battery, a stock M18 will easily outrun an mrs4 on the track.
I don`t agree.
I run MRS4 with stock 180 and a 6pack and can easily compete with xrays running 280`s & 300`s (also 6 cell pack), although
I made some mods to front and rear suspension. The MRS4 has better acceleration than xray straight out of the box. I would go with
HPI belt drive, it has less (seems unbeleaveable) friction than shaft driven xray.
Before purchasing, check both of them with your friends, and then make a decision, which to buy.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:11 AM
houseplant

Don't get me wrong I love my Micro RS4, but I know my M18 will ruin the Micro RS4 on a track. There also is the factor of my Micro RS4 beating my M18 on asphalt when I recieve my chassis from Aktion R/C and I put a nice 540 motor in it. What I'm saying is if you don't plan on racing and just want to play around get the Micro RS4 and if want to race get the M18 because they are both great little cars just one is better than the other at both things.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spacetech
The MRS4 has better acceleration than xray straight out of the box.
That makes sense since the Xray M18 is a "kit".