Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

kyosho mini-z

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 10:48 PM
sylvestor2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kyosho mini-z

I'm debating between purchasing the following two mini-z:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

What is the main differnce between the "overland" and the "racer" Is there a big difference in speed ? Does anyone know what the speed would out of the box with these two mini-z ?

thanks,

sylvestor
Old 12-09-2005, 11:30 PM
_iceman_

Default RE: kyosho mini-z

*edited out sry for being rude* One is for off road (sortof but if you get lego tyers and those Xextreme rock machine shocks it will be) and the other one is on road
Old 12-09-2005, 11:55 PM
sylvestor2005

iceman:

I am more curious to know if both will be the same speed out of the box or will the on-road be faster then the off road ? I thought both would have the same engine, so both should have the same speed ?

**Edited out rude remark
Old 12-10-2005, 03:57 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Calm down guys.

The MR02 will run about 15 mph stock with an 8T pinion gear. The Overlands have a different gearing set up and won't run as fast stock since they are made more for climbing. However, the difference in speed should not be too much lower, but the Overlands flip very easily. The Monster performs better stock out of the box when compared to the Overland since the wider stance helps keep it up right.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:39 PM
sylvestor2005

Thanks Tigger !!

Can the MR02 or overland be driven on a regular parking lot or are they mainly to be used on tracks (or indoor floors) ?

sylvestor.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:57 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

They are not really meant for parking lot racing. The surface needs to be pretty smooth like a tennis court if you don't want to run on a track or tear up the body. The F1s are also very low profile. As a cheaper alternative, you may want to consider the Iwaver or the Xmod. The newer Xmods and Iwavers also have seemed to come along ways though the new Xmod still uses that same type of Radio Shack transmitter--I still see that as a downside to an Xmod though that probably helps keep the cost down.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:12 PM
sylvestor2005

I'm thinking I should probably get the Iwaver firelap 2.0. It's only $48 compared to the kyosho $99. But then again how fast is the iwaver firelap 2.0 out of the box ?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Cheezman

ORIGINAL: sylvestor2005

I'm thinking I should probably get the Iwaver firelap 2.0. It's only $48 compared to the kyosho $99. But then again how fast is the iwaver firelap 2.0 out of the box ?
Iwaver is lower quality, and from what I hear, they glitch up a lot, I don't know if it is true or not, but I would say stick with a MiniZ.

On the topic of running surface, the MR02 is for smooth surfaces, such as hard wood floors, smooth concrete, so on, although, the Overland should be fine in a parking lot, since it has a higher stance and greater suspension travel.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:17 PM
desmobob

What is the main differnce between the "overland" and the "racer" Is there a big difference in speed ? Does anyone know what the speed would out of the box with these two mini-z ?
Sylvestor,

I have two Mini-Zs; one overland and one racer (Mitsubishi Pajero and Warsteiner Mercedes CLK). The speed difference beween the two seems minimal. They both go plenty fast, especially for a tight area that would be typical if you run the cars inside your house. The racer needs a smooth surface while the overland could handle a relatively smooth parking lot. A combination of speed and too-tight turning can roll the overland, as can bumps while turning. The racer is very low and can really corner well on a high-traction surface.

I consider them indoor models.

Take it easy,
desmobob
Old 12-10-2005, 10:02 PM
sylvestor2005

Thanks Desmobob:

I think I'm leaning towards the overland as it seems more suitable for different surfaces. What would you recommend I purchase as a hop up to make the overland go faster ?

I'm thinking I should get this but I'm not sure if this is only for the on-road cars or if it will work with the overland.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kyosho-Mini-Z-XS...QQcmdZViewItem

thanks again for your advise.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:15 PM
desmobob

Thanks Desmobob:

I think I'm leaning towards the overland as it seems more suitable for different surfaces. What would you recommend I purchase as a hop up to make the overland go faster ?

I'm thinking I should get this but I'm not sure if this is only for the on-road cars or if it will work with the overland.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kyosho-Mini-Z-XS...QQcmdZViewItem
You're welcome!

I don't have any experience with Mini-Z hop-up parts so I can't really help you. If I were going to buy some though, I think I'd buy the same kit you're looking at.

The only things I bought for my Mini-Zs were a bunch of NiMH rechargeable AAs and AAAs and a charger from Maha. It's nice not having to buy batteries.

Take it easy,
desmobob
Old 12-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Cheezman

Ball Bearings are a MUST. Not only do they let your drive train move smoother, but they also allow you to drive the car a little longer since your motor is seeing less stress, as for the ball diff, thats more of drivers choice, personally, I like ball diffs over gear diffs (on all scales of R/C cars), but some people like gear difs over ball diffs... its really up to you. As for the motor, their is always a better one out there.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Besides bearings and a motor, one of the nicest option parts for a Kyosho Mini-Z-Overland is a Kyosho Mini-Z-Formula 1 boat.