Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Twin brushless motors in the M-LST

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 06:49 AM
BoostedVR4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin brushless motors in the M-LST

Is this possible? Is there an ESC that can control two BL motors? I've been reading thru all of these threads, and haven't really seen anyone mention it. I'm trying to decided between the Mamba 8k or the Aon 4900, but two of either one would be sweet.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:10 AM
R_man_5k
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Twin brushless motors in the M-LST

I do not recall seeing it yet either. But I am sure there is some company in development right now... hope so at least.... But the drivetrain parts have to get here first. I hear people are blowing diffs left and right with the current set ups.

I am leaning towards the AON 4900, but it will have to wait untill after Christmas...
Old 12-15-2005, 10:07 AM
vidaparacristo

At this point, there is no ESC capable of running twin brushless motors. They would fry it in seconds. I talked to bernie at castle creations, and he said from their experience it wasn't worth buying two systems, because the gain (if any) went unnoticed. You wouldn't get anymore top speed. Because in twin motor set ups one motor usually does about 80% of the work while the other does about 20%. They tried 2 of the 5.4kv motors and, as previously mentioned, the gain wasn't worth it. Also, as R_man_5k mentioned, we are all patiently waiting for upgraded diffs and pinions that can handle the abuse of our single motor brushless setups.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:21 AM
BoostedVR4

ORIGINAL: vidaparacristo

At this point, there is no ESC capable of running twin brushless motors. They would fry it in seconds. I talked to bernie at castle creations, and he said from their experience it wasn't worth buying two systems, because the gain (if any) went unnoticed. You wouldn't get anymore top speed. Because in twin motor set ups one motor usually does about 80% of the work while the other does about 20%. They tried 2 of the 5.4kv motors and, as previously mentioned, the gain wasn't worth it. Also, as R_man_5k mentioned, we are all patiently waiting for upgraded diffs and pinions that can handle the abuse of our single motor brushless setups.
This is what I had figured. I would really like to switch to a BL setup, but I don't want to replace gears and diffs all the time. Any idea how long it will take companies to release parts?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:41 AM
R_man_5k
My Feedback: (14)

up to the MFGs.. I am sure there are a few out there working on it. But the M-LST is still really new so it is all in time.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:56 AM
vidaparacristo

yeah dual brushless sounds pretty sweet...but i'm sure there's a way to get the same amount of power out of one motor...actually that reminds me. The Lehner 1015 or something like that. It is supposed to be out of this world ( i hope it is for 159 bucks!) that plus a mamba esc and you have the best (at least most expensive!) setup out there, plus it would still be less expensive than two mamba systems. I'm contemplating that idea, but i can't find anyone who's done it yet. If it gets the MLST going like the mamba compx gets the Mini T, then i'm all in now i just need to come up with the cash...
Old 12-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Sao

Shawn of CC is currently testing twin mamba set ups over on one18th. So far so good, there is a vid up of the two 5400's and he's trying 6800's next.

No official recomendation that it is ok to run two brushless motors off of one gearbox yet they still need to do more testing and you have two run twin Esc's

Personally I would rather run twin brushless if I can, even if the same power could be had from one motor, the MLST just looks wrong with only one motor not to mention it being put out of balance
Old 12-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Firefreak373

i mentioned befor that my bos and i are going to put in 2 5.4k mambas in a mini lst, im ust a kid so i dont know anything but i told him its going to be pointless.