Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Getting a Kyosho Half 8 Buggy!

Old 12-19-2005, 06:38 PM
PillowPants

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a Kyosho Half 8 Buggy!

Alright, I will be buying one of these things as soon as i can scrounge up 200 bucks.. I have a few Q's about it though.

- (Besides the fact that i'll need to buy a battery pack), What are it's weakest points? I am just going to be bashing it for now by the way, maybe race it once i can afford a brushless setup..

- Whats a good battery pack? (NOT LIPO!!) It looks to me as if it uses the same sized/shaped battery as the mini-t does, if so then I already have a good one picked out..

- Is it pretty durable stock?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Getting a Kyosho Half 8 Buggy!

Like the Losi Mini-T, one downside is the stock electronics: Integrated ESC/Rx and 4-wire servo. However, it does come with other servo mounts for optional servos. Again like the Losi Mini-T, Losi Mini-T bearings will work for the wheels, but there are also two more bushings in the center diff that can be replaced with bearings. However, the stock battery configuration is NOT like the Losi Mini-T and is a "saddle" pack, so a 6-cell Mini-T pack will NOT fit. If you run 7 or 8 cells and the stock electronics, Kyosho recommends the optional circuit protection that can either be purchased with or without the optional Kyosho rechargeable batteries. If you beat the KMI like I have, one week point is the front shock tower and the wheels will eventually crack though I have worn through the tread by then. And don't forget to tighten the slipper.

: What are the specifications of the Mini-Inferno?
(As seen on the Kyosho Web Site and the video shown in Hobby Shops)
A: Battery / No. 71951 Half-Eight SP Battery Set
Motor / No. IHW13 X-SPEED Mini-Inferno SP Motor
Shocks / IHW14 Mini-Inferno Oil Shock Set (Front), IHW15 Mini-Inferno Oil Shock Set (Rear)
Q: What its maximum speed?
A: 6-Cell Battery + Normal Motor - Maximum speed of 21 km/h
6-Cell battery + Optional Motor - Maximum Speed of 23 km/h (not recommended due to increased power consumption)
Half-Eight SP Battery (8-Cell) + Normal Motor - Maximum speed of 28km/h
Half-Eight SP Battery (8-Cell) + Optional Motor - Maximum speed of 34km/h
Q: It doesnÂft seem to have enough acceleration (not transferring the drive power). Why?
A: The factory setting of the Mini-Inferno is for off-road use so the slipper gear is set a little loose (for 6-Cell Battery) to allow the car to accelerate smoothly at the start with a small degree of slip (refer page 23 of instruction manual). This setting delivers better off-road acceleration and prevents damage to the gears. If you still feel there is not enough acceleration, refer to the instruction manual and adjust up to 4mm-5mm to suit. (Note the following caution)

CAUTION : In order to prevent damage to the gears, the car will still slip during acceleration even when adjusted to 4mm. Adjusting further will allow the car to accelerate without any slipping, however, the increased load on the gears can cause damage. For on-road use or on high-grip surfaces, adjusting to 3.6mm~4mm is recommended.
Q: When will the 8-Cell Nickel Metal-Hydride battery be available?
A: It's available in June, 2005.

No. 71951 Half-Eight SP Battery Set
No. 71952 Half-Eight SP Battery
The battery protection function included in the Battery Set keeps the battery voltage at about 7.0V. This prevents the damage to the battery from discharging too much and safely maintains the battery's original performance for longer.
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/product...-P738C193.aspx
Old 12-19-2005, 07:04 PM
PillowPants

alright so i think I'll get the Batter bundle first and go from there. Thanks man. Could you please recommend some good electronics?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Almost forgot again and like the stock Losi Mini-T, the KMI needs oil shocks.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:09 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

Almost forgot again and like the stock Losi Mini-T, the KMI needs oil shocks.
WOW... I can see this thing turning into quite the money pit.. Considering I have 4 nitros to maintain, I dont think i'll have the cash for all this stuff! I think I may reconsider... Mini LST maybe? You have one of those right tigger? Could you maybe tell me whats up with it? I have the same Q's for it as i did for this one..
Old 12-19-2005, 07:19 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

The MLST seems pretty good STOCK; however, I am ripping up the stock gears every time I run it with the brushless motor and I do mean every time. Quite frankly, I may just return it to stock unless some new stronger/metal gears are released soon (with the exception of the center ball diff that I have already installed). On the flip side, I never had to replace any of the diff gears in the KMI except for one small gear I lost when greasing up the center diff gears though I did replace one spur gear when the brushless motor slipped. Ironically, I used a Losi gear to replace the lost diff gear.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:25 PM
PillowPants

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

The MLST seems pretty good STOCK; however, I am ripping up the stock gears every time I run it with the brushless motor and I do mean every time. Quite frankly, I may just return it to stock unless some new stronger/metal gears are released soon (with the exception of the center ball diff that I have already installed). On the flip side, I never had to replace any of the diff gears in the KMI except for one small gear I lost when greasing up the center diff gears though I did replace one spur gear when the brushless motor slipped. Ironically, I used a Losi gear to replace the lost diff gear.
Now THATS what I like to hear! lol. What do you mean by center ball diff? Would this help the problem? [link=http://teamlosi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB1125]CLICK[/link] OH, and I forgot to ask.. What about the stock battery? Is it pretty weak and does it run out really fast? Is it the 7.2V 1100mAh TL one?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

That's the ball diff that I currently am using in the center diff in the MLST. However, the adjustment screw seems too short and uses a flat head--it was only catching two threads. At one of the LHS, one of the guys and me got together yesterday and replaced it with a longer screw. It appeared to work better, but than some of the diff gears blew out again. The stock six cell is the same optional pack for the Losi Mini-T.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:10 PM
PillowPants

Good news! I wont have to scrounge up the money! I can get one for christmas. hahah yaaay! I wont have to be poor for 3 months now!! (I'm only 15 BTW, my only income is what my dad leaves in his jeans when i carry down the dirty laundry fo my mom).
Old 12-19-2005, 10:06 PM
MaximuM*AltitudE

One weak point that is really giving me trouble is the stock knuckles. The "kingpins" are really short pan head screws with a ring around them. they screw into the top and bottom of the knuckle, but with brushless they lasted half a lap at the track. They strip out and just fall apart, leaving me looking like an idiot in front of everybody. I'm hoping some aluminum ones with a little lock-tite will cure the problem. That's the only weak point I've found, otherwise this little buggy is amazing! It jumps pretty good, handles a lot like an 1/8 scale and looks awesome. I ditched the stock elecs and went brushless, so the aluminum motor mount is a must as the stock one twist and warps out of shape, and you will need oil shocks. I bought the 3Racing ones for $25, front and rear, and they work very well. Bearings are a need upgrade too. The stock bushings wear out real fast, and drag down the car's runtime. The Hitec HS-81mg is a good servo for this buggy too. Other than that, I think any other hop up is just for more durability or just eye candy.