Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Mini LST Metal Gears are HERE!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 12:57 AM
-Inverted-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mini LST Metal Gears are HERE!!!!!!

Hows the turning radius compared to stock.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:26 PM
jhautz

OK I got these gears installed and tested. Here is what I found.

I had to change my test plan a little[]... I blew the last set of plastic gears I had on Thursday night [:@](more are coming from Losi, but not here yet). So Instead of doing the Back Diff ,testing, then the Front Diff, testing, and then locking the center. I am skipping to back and front diffs done at the same time. Also, We got a cold snap here (7 degrees w/ way below zero wind chill) and I can't test this outside yet. So indoors is all I can do.[sm=angry.gif]

Install: Gears are installed in both front and rear diffs now. Easy install and perfect fit. No shimming or anything needed. They just dropped right in using the pins and bearings from the stock diff setup.[sm=thumbup.gif] I have attached some pictures so you can see what they look like in the dif case.

Testing: They are pretty damn nice I gotta say. I can't tell a big difference in turning radius vs stock with these gears in both front and back. Here is a link to a video of the truck demonstrating turning radius on both slippery hardwood where I would not expect to see hardly any difference from stock, and on some higher traction carpet. There is a small difference in the 2 surfaces, but not anything that would be a problem. Now all that remains is how much better these hold up than the plastic ones. With the plastic gears I was getting maybe 3 packs of run before they stripped. I have my fingers crossed.

http://media.putfile.com/MLST-Turn-Raduis-w-Gears

Summary: All in all very nice results. The turn radius is increased from stock, but not very much from what I can tell. The power to the ground seems to be increased and dead stop starts are much more snappy, popping the front wheels off of the ground but not holding it up. Locking the center diff (spool or tight ball diff) will probably make wheelies very easy. They seem very tough, but only time will tell how well they actually hold up. Throttle response feels sharper probably due to the better traction it is getting. With the front and back diffs both locked I think theat there is a decrease in the trucks overall stability. It reacts more quickly to throttle inputs, and on hard throttle turns on carpet its alot more likely to hook up hard and throw the little truck on its side. I imagine in dirt this will probably not be an issue, on a slicker surface like hardwood there is not a problem. All in all I would have to say they are a huge improvement to the stock gears if they hold up. I'm just hoping I can run this thing without having to tear down the diffs every few packs.

Next: I am going to lock the center diff by using shoe goo in the diff gears to lock it up. I have ordered an MIP ball diff but don't have it yet so this will have to do until it gets here. I'll let you know how it goes.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66929.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	410741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93302.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	410742  
Old 02-18-2006, 06:56 PM
R_man_5k
My Feedback: (14)

Thanks for the updates. So far they sound pretty good. I hope they get the issues worked out with "the man" and can get some more made!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:04 PM
jhautz

Hopefully they will get it fixed.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Hunterman3

I got my new B&S Gears yesterday. I installed one set in the rear. They went with great ease. They work GREAT. It turns allmost like stock and will go like a Raped Ape. It will pull a wheelie like there is no tommorow . I would use them in a heartbeat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78355.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	410815  
Old 02-18-2006, 09:16 PM
GRASS CUTTER

Keep the feedback rolling guys i'm glad everyone is satisfied so far.

Just so everyone knows the metal gears will NOT work with the plastic gears (metal pinion with plastic ring gear bad idea & plastic pinion with metal ring gear bad idea this has been tested please do not waste your time). This is because the plastic gears are not made right. The plastic gears are made like a drill chuck and are not made for the high RPM's these aftermarket motors are putting out. The metal gears have the same ratio as the plastic so you can run the metal in the back & the plastic in the front if that is what you want, but read the feedback look at the video with these gears in front & back this truck isn't just a rock crawler it is one thrashing machine. To everyone that got these gears have fun &
THRASH EM HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 09:38 PM
jhautz

OK... I locked the center and threw a new charge into the Lipos. All I can say is ridiculous.... Wheelies, cyclones (the reverse cyclones are really cool looking on this thing.), climbs over anything in front of it. I can even pull straight up to a wall and it will pull the front wheels up it and flip itself over on its back. This is one hilarious little toy now. LOVE IT. [sm=lol.gif]

I have run 3 packs trough it in the last couple hours and have been beating it really hard. (Full throttle reverse to full throttle forward and back again, over and over) The drive-train is solid as a rock now. The things I have been doing would have shredded the stock gearing 10 times over already. Well done B+S Exactly what I needed.

That said... For racing this will not be your setup. Really strong bite when power on cornering takes the front end right up and over if your not real careful (especially on high grip surfaces). Full throttle acceleration will just flip it on its back, even at good rolling start. The truck tends to bite much harder than the stock setup and unless you have a big track it might be a little to unpredictable. Anyone intending on racing this thing should probably wait for the next generation actual functioning differential. (But lets face it, how many of us are actually gonna race these little things. These are the toys for in between races.)

I am gonna run it locked up like this for a while and see how I like it. Once the MIP center ball diff shows up Ill change it out and try running it looser in the middle. I think that this will be a better more controllable setup. The brushlees motor and lipos are just allot of power for this little thing and having the center diff open just seems like it might be more controllable and fun.

When I can get outside and really turn it loose I'll give you all an update.

My verdict.... [sm=thumbup.gif] Worth my money. Not tearing this thing open every 3rd run will be great... and it added a some new tricks to the bag.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:22 AM
jhautz

Now Im just goofin around.[sm=RAINFRO.gif] I love these cyclones and stuck in the family room theres not much room for anything else. I had to drop it down to the old stock 6 cell pack to keep a handle on it indoors. Cant wait for the weather to warm up a little so I can blast this thing outside. Check it out...

http://media.putfile.com/MLST-Goofin-OFf
Old 02-19-2006, 07:59 AM
BoostedVR4

Shweeet. I want a set. Only problem is that they are sold out. So now what?
Old 02-19-2006, 08:36 AM
ofnaDOMINATION!

Wait. I sorta read this thread, but remind me. What is the difference between the lockers and the stockers?
Old 02-19-2006, 11:38 AM
-Inverted-

Stockers are spider gears.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:41 PM
ofnaDOMINATION!

I know. I mean pro's and con's.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:47 PM
-Inverted-

Kinda confused on your question, obviously they are billet aluminum so its stronger then plastic, again kinda confused on your question.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:54 PM
ofnaDOMINATION!

I mean do the lockers increase speed or acceleration or whatever. Same with cons.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:34 PM
machineman

New aluminum gears that yall are talking about are on ebay now only 9 sets left...just wanted to let you know
Old 02-19-2006, 07:41 PM
R_man_5k

machineman - you beat me to it... I was just about to say they are back up... I just bought a set. I know I am going to like having the rear diffs locked. May change out the fronts if other options come out .... Then save the second one for the rear on another truck...
Old 02-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Hunterman3

Day two of trying out the new gears. I took it to Oacen to run on the beach(sand). I RAN the crap out of it. It just keeps on going without anything braking. I went thru 6 charges on the battery and what a blast.. This turck would go up almost any hill I tryed. Just had to keep an eye on the waves, The tide was coming and that was all that put a stop th the fun. I will let you know if I can brake them.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:48 PM
jhautz

U R makin me jealous. It got warmer here today... Up to 17 degrees. I gotta move somewhere warm....
Old 02-20-2006, 07:25 AM
BoostedVR4

ORIGINAL: R_man_5k

machineman - you beat me to it... I was just about to say they are back up... I just bought a set. I know I am going to like having the rear diffs locked. May change out the fronts if other options come out .... Then save the second one for the rear on another truck...
I searched... can't find them. Am I searching for the wrong terms, or did I miss them again?
Old 02-20-2006, 07:36 AM
R_man_5k

The seller is s-10mayhem, but I just went in and checked and there are zero left. Looks like all twelve that they put up sold last night.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:39 AM
BoostedVR4

ORIGINAL: R_man_5k

The seller is s-10mayhem, but I just went in and checked and there are zero left. Looks like all twelve that they put up sold last night.
Wow... lovely
Old 02-21-2006, 03:41 AM
jhautz

OK.... I found the next weak link in the MLST drivetrain... Not what I expected....

The dogbones going from the diff outdrives to the wheel hubs are warping from the torque. I think I saw some steel dogbones for sale somewhere but I can't seem to find them now. Anyone know where they are?

The good news is I warped the dogbones before I stripped the diff gears. The diff gear problem seems to be solved. These gears are tough!
Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

These guys are going to make a fortune off of this business.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:50 AM
-Inverted-

OK.... I found the next weak link in the MLST drivetrain... Not what I expected....

The dogbones going from the diff outdrives to the wheel hubs are warping from the torque. I think I saw some steel dogbones for sale somewhere but I can't seem to find them now. Anyone know where they are?

The good news is I warped the dogbones before I stripped the diff gears. The diff gear problem seems to be solved. These gears are tough!
Hot Racing makes some, not sure on the quality though.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:06 AM
mikextr

ORIGINAL: jhautz

OK... I locked the center and threw a new charge into the Lipos. All I can say is ridiculous.... Wheelies, cyclones (the reverse cyclones are really cool looking on this thing.), climbs over anything in front of it. I can even pull straight up to a wall and it will pull the front wheels up it and flip itself over on its back. This is one hilarious little toy now. LOVE IT. [sm=lol.gif]

I have run 3 packs trough it in the last couple hours and have been beating it really hard. (Full throttle reverse to full throttle forward and back again, over and over) The drive-train is solid as a rock now. The things I have been doing would have shredded the stock gearing 10 times over already. Well done B+S Exactly what I needed.

That said... For racing this will not be your setup. Really strong bite when power on cornering takes the front end right up and over if your not real careful (especially on high grip surfaces). Full throttle acceleration will just flip it on its back, even at good rolling start. The truck tends to bite much harder than the stock setup and unless you have a big track it might be a little to unpredictable. Anyone intending on racing this thing should probably wait for the next generation actual functioning differential. (But lets face it, how many of us are actually gonna race these little things. These are the toys for in between races.)

I am gonna run it locked up like this for a while and see how I like it. Once the MIP center ball diff shows up Ill change it out and try running it looser in the middle. I think that this will be a better more controllable setup. The brushlees motor and lipos are just allot of power for this little thing and having the center diff open just seems like it might be more controllable and fun.

When I can get outside and really turn it loose I'll give you all an update.

My verdict.... [sm=thumbup.gif] Worth my money. Not tearing this thing open every 3rd run will be great... and it added a some new tricks to the bag.
Thanks for posting your test results. How do you think racing performance would be with the metal gears in the front and rear combined with a stock differential? I love the way this truck handles and don't want to screw it up. Right now I have new boiled and grease gears all around and they are holding up nicely. I would stick with the plastic gears if differential overhauls were not so time consuming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.