Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Mini-t Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Gex_61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini-t Drifting

Well the rainy weather has been preventing me from driveing any of my cars. I decided to try and drift my mini-t in my garage. I put electrical tape on my "original" mini-t tires (which are completely worn out and have a smaller circumfrance). It takes about one battary pack to get used to it. With the 2 wheel drive, it's very hard to handle. It will not drift like the 4WD 10th scales but it's fun on a rainy day.

You only need about the width of a sidewalk because it turns so sharp. I use duct tape on the cement in my garage. I put 4 strips of tape down and did down and backs.

To control it, use half throttle or enough to control it going strait and when you get about 1-2 feet from your turn, give it full throttle and turn for just a second. This slides the car around and then return to half throttle. Also, I have a baja motor (60t spur, 14t pinion).

I just thought this would be interesting and it is kind of fun. Try it out on a rainy day and tell me what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11475.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	418403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50120.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	418404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu52041.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	418405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82830.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	418406  
Old 03-01-2006, 10:46 PM
brainleak
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Mini-t Drifting

One of my Favorite things to download on the net is drifting vids, Theres just something awesome about mastering being out of control.

Try some pvc pipe from a local hardware store, you wont need any more than a foot's worth so it would be cheap. it would make it really tough to control since its rwd. I might just have to try this with my 18t. Thanks :P
Old 03-01-2006, 10:47 PM
lil_man_maas

Sounds fun! I wish I had a mini! Hopefully getting one soon.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Gex_61

yeah try it with a 4wd mini. I'm guessing that there is no way to control the mini-t with pvc pipe. I wish I had videos. I'm learning how to do that now, so maybe later.

I'm gonna have to get a drifting car some time.[X(][8D]
Old 03-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Gex_61

I almost forgot. The rain stopped for today, so I drove it in my driveway. If your driveway is at an angle. It's fun to go full speed down the driveway and turn it around at the last 6-7 feet and then go full throttle again. I'm no scientist but for some reason when you do this the car turns faceing back up the driveway and doesn't spin out. It just does a super long burn out.

I'm pretty sure it does this because there is no grip at all in the back and while it's moveing backwards the front tires grip and keep it from spinning. It just fishtails. So much fun.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:05 PM
brainleak
My Feedback: (1)

MMMM GTR My dream drifter

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...1/2139_8mg.jpg
Old 03-02-2006, 01:18 AM
mariodx3

Hey now, Andy i got a drift car its a hpi micro rs4 , and this thing is great. i love it drifting is cool ... My gf thinks is a waist of time . she says you can't drive it . cuz every time i turn it starts drifting and to me its cool. she says i'm going in the house. lol
ORIGINAL: Gex_61

yeah try it with a 4wd mini. I'm guessing that there is no way to control the mini-t with pvc pipe. I wish I had videos. I'm learning how to do that now, so maybe later.

I'm gonna have to get a drifting car some time.[X(][8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb87064.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	418509  
Old 03-02-2006, 01:26 AM
Tolano

the awd system on the gtr is computer controlled and has such advanced traction control that it pretty much makes it impossible to drift the car. the pro drifters that drift skylines use the non gtr models to get the rb26 and a rwd format. none the less the gtr is an amazing car, however it is very heavy so it wears out its brakes very easily. this is why the nissan jgtc teams switched to the z. its a great car, but the following that it has in t he us is unprecedented for what the car is. the evo and sti are faster, lighter, and have better handling. there is a reason that the top time attack car is an evo and not a skyline. people always complain that we dont get gtrs here (even though the new gtr will be sold in the u.s.), but there really isnt much of a point in them when you can get a cheaper car that is better. think of the quick rally cars (evo sti) like real race cars and the gtr kind of like a lazy boy with 2 doors all wheel drive and a twin turbo v6. i dont really know why i am saying this, i just felt like it.

i have a 1/10 rc drifter (xray t1, overkill i know) that i am getting rid of soon. it is really fun, but i am bored of sliding around on the pavement. its good that you are having fun with the mini t and i am amazed that you have been able to maintain control at all. i have never tried 2wd rc drifting but those i know who have tried it have told me that it is rediculously hard. congrats on getting it to work!
Old 03-02-2006, 02:07 AM
Gex_61

Yeah, I have about $220 saved up. I'm trying to decide between a drifting car (my first street car) or a xxx-nt (my first gas car). I think i've decided to go with the xxx-nt. I'm definatly going to get a drifting car but not for a while. It's definatly a beautiful sport.

Would anyone know where to find drifting videos. I have two of the "sg drifters" videos but they're hard to find.

Also is it hard to set up a drifting car. I don't think I would have any problem driveing one but im just guessing that a drifting would have to be set up just right to be able to control the slide.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:14 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gex_61
Would anyone know where to find drifting videos. I have two of the "sg drifters" videos but they're hard to find.
Have you tried the RC Car Videos subforum? What about the RC Drifting subforum? There may even be a video at http://www.yokomousa.com

<This thread should also remain "RC", not full size.>
Old 03-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Gex_61

ORIGINAL: Tolano

i have a 1/10 rc drifter (xray t1, overkill i know) that i am getting rid of soon. it is really fun, but i am bored of sliding around on the pavement. its good that you are having fun with the mini t and i am amazed that you have been able to maintain control at all. i have never tried 2wd rc drifting but those i know who have tried it have told me that it is rediculously hard. congrats on getting it to work!
well, I wouldn't say I got it to work, it slides all over the place and is rediculously hard to control. I wouldn't even call it drifting really. If you have nothing else to do though and its raining outside why not.[&o]
Old 03-02-2006, 02:25 AM
Gex_61

Have you tried the RC Car Videos subforum? What about the RC Drifting subforum? There may even be a video at http://www.yokomousa.com

<This thread should also remain "RC", not full size.>
downloading now.
And what do you mean it should remain "RC"?
Old 03-02-2006, 02:34 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very simply put, this is an RC forum for discussion about "remote control", not 1:1 or full size cars.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Gex_61

I am talking about rc cars?????
Old 03-02-2006, 10:01 PM
Tolano

my bad TNB, probably should have seen that coming. Gex, i dont know much about micro drifting, but setting up my t1 was very easy. i dont have any set up tools or anything so i just eyeballed everything. i just went with 4 pvc tires and neutral camber/toe. i think it was neutral atleast, i cant really tell because i have nothing to measure it with. it also helps to dial out some of the steering with the dual rate feature on your radio. you really do not need that much input to get it to turn and you will find that it is more about throttle control than steering. it took me a couple of days to get the hang of it, but i think it do it ok now. im sure that with the proper set up stuff i could be better, but it seems to work fine as it is. www.driftrcentral.com is a great rc drifting source and they could give you more specific information on ideal drift setups. also for drifting torque is key so getting a mamba comp x probably wouldnt be the best idea, most 1/10 cars use stock or 19t motors so pick a motor with high torque and it will make it much easier. the most wonderful thing about drifting is that you hardly ever pull the trigger back all of the way. i get about 30 minutes of run time on my 1/10th with 6 cell 3000 pack and i can get more if i concentrate on linking the drifts and not mashing the throttle, i cant even imagine who much a micro with lipo would get. for rc drifting momentum plays a big role. also it is important to try and get a 50/50 front to rear and side to side weight balance, this will help tons.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:42 AM
INTEGRA

ya i will agree with any1 who says 2wd drifting is crap..cuz it is ...it shouldnt even be called drifting ....more like.. hey i can drive in a line then do a couple donuts then come back ....bah that aint driftin ....get a 4wd and forget about 2wd. ..i will agree when there is NOTHING else to do on a rainy day but ..jus saying its not really driftin......get yourself a Tamiya TT-01 Drift spec.....cheep too like under 200 minus ur electronics...

TrU

Old 03-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Spdsk8er
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: INTEGRA

ya i will agree with any1 who says 2wd drifting is crap..cuz it is ...it shouldnt even be called drifting ....more like.. hey i can drive in a line then do a couple donuts then come back ....bah that aint driftin ....get a 4wd and forget about 2wd. ..i will agree when there is NOTHING else to do on a rainy day but ..jus saying its not really driftin......get yourself a Tamiya TT-01 Drift spec.....cheep too like under 200 minus ur electronics...

TrU

200? the kit is 80, and it includeds motor, and a esc. so if u already have a radio, all u need is a servo!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:42 AM
CadillacDTS2001

he lives in canada and u live in the US so there would be the exchange rate and depending where he bought it he could have got it somewhere that it costs a lot and u got your some where that is very cheap !!!
read where people live

i wonder what a mini t with PVC tubing as tires would preform
Old 03-12-2006, 01:36 PM
jigglebelly

The tt-01 drift kit is more expensive than the tt-01 kit. The tt-01 drift kit I believe is $150. The tt-01 kit is $80.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:46 PM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: jigglebelly

The tt-01 drift kit is more expensive than the tt-01 kit. The tt-01 drift kit I believe is $150. The tt-01 kit is $80.
thank you sir. look on tower tt-01'z go from 79.99 all the way up to 154.99....and yes u are right i am in canada....and i did ALSO buy it like 2 days after they released it...and no we didnt have our own RX or TX so ...it was around 200 when all the dust settled.....except that 3 min into the first battery the motor locked up....=/ so we sent it back for warranty and while waiting we put a green machine with a dynamite ESC and now it works GREAT......the tires that they use on this kit are kida unique they have 2 different compounds on the tire ...softer on the otside and hard on the inside...seeems to work great for drifting....