1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

1/16, 1/18 scale Nitro Off road, I DON'T GET IT!!!!???

Old 03-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/16, 1/18 scale Nitro Off road, I DON'T GET IT!!!!???

I know 1/18 is reaching the height of it's popularity. I have found a great extension of our great RC hobby in 1/18 vehicles- I still have a Mini Quake and Mini LST, and have been around the block with most of the others. I like them mostly, because I run them indoors when it's cold- they are fast to have great fun, but not too fast to run in the house. They are customizable, they are fun to work on, fun to tune, quiet in neighborhoods, campgrounds, etc and they are generally cheaper then their 1/10 and 1/8 counterparts.

However, they are pretty incapable outside during general use and bashing. They get stuck in grass and can barely run in what I would consider 'off-road' conditions. Even some medium gravel can stump these things. They are just too low to the ground and don't have the suspension travel necessary to run or jump in a regular bashing situation. That's fine, I like them for what they are.

Along comes 1/18 and 1/16 nitro- barely capable to run off road, can't run indoors, and they will be pricier to keep up then their electric counterparts. I just don't get it... Just because they can doesn't mean they should. Notice I specified 'off road' because I think nitro 'on road' vehicles can run fine in those scales.

For me, 1/18 and 1/10 Nitro off road for outdoor running, and 1/18 off road for indoor and LIGHT outdoor running is perfect, and I think this is probably common with a lot of other enthusiasts.

I just see a noisy, non bash capable, outdoor only and expensive product that doesn't have a lot of pertinence in our hobby.

How do other people feel?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:37 AM
-Inverted-

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1/16, 1/18 scale Nitro Off road, I DON'T GET IT!!!!???

I just see a noisy, non bash capable, outdoor only and expensive product that doesn't have a lot of pertinence in our hobby.
Im with you 100%, I felt this way, ever since XRAY started putting out designs for their nitro mini's. They were made for small areas, indoor, and light-medium outdoor offroading. I feel a nitro mini ruins the entire reason of owning a mini. The bragging factor is cool, but as far as fuctionality, for the price I would rather get a 1/10 or 1/8 nitro I can get use out of as the way nitro's were made for.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:04 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble
How do other people feel?
When I run my 1/16th scale Nitro at the track--I don't have to haul as much stuff as when I run my 1/8th scales. Of course, I just toss the 1/16th scales (IRC & Kyosho) as a little something else to run at the 1/8th scale OFF ROAD track.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:51 AM
nedMX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i totally agree. completely destroys the point a mini.

also, another thing i dont understand. why the need to make your 1/18th faster than your 1/10th scale with super high KV butshless motors and high power lipo batts...and then just do speed runs up and down the street. to me, i love just using minis on scale terrain. like, instead of trying to jump off my 1/8th monster jumps...i made my own mini ramps out of cardboard. they only measure max a foot high but they are alot of fun.

to me there was nothing more enjoyable than taking my mini-t and just driving in the gardens with little speed and just doing technical stuff. like driving over objects and dodging plants.

its all about scale people...just remember that.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:37 AM
GRANT ED

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I gotta say I dont understand the 1/18th nitro thing. I just can't help but think that a nitro car that size would be more trouble than its worth but each to his own I guess.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Combatcm
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will say I don't really think they are fun at all. I had a mini T with a mamba and thought it would be fun to drive. It was, but everything was so small and delicate and I could only drive it onroad.

Another thing is mini resale is HORRIBLE.

Have you ever noticed all the people who try to sell mini T's with mambas for over $200? You ever see them sell for their first asking price? $300? $400

It's the same thing with all the outside the box stuff that comes out, it's cool to have it out and the option of buying it, but you just aren't going to buy it.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:39 AM
nedMX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i agree...mini resale is appaling. i think i put around $500 into the mini-t (non brushless) and ended up getting about $100 for it.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:03 AM
chase044

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

they make nitro b/c people will buy them just to say they have it.its not that it makes sense to have it, but because its avialible and not many people have it people want it just so they can say they have it. specaily little kids. like when a new car (mini lst...) comes out when someone gets one im sure the first thing they do is take pictures of it in the box then come on here and show everyone that they have it. i could run a 1/18th nitro at my local track where i run my bl mini-t. if i didnt have a mini-t that could get to 35mph in 3 seconds i wouldnt be able to drive and have fun at my local track. i would have to roll all the jumps and that isnt fun. people buy things so that they can brag to other people they have them. if it wasnt true people would only come on here for help. not to show their cars off. and to tell everyon what they have. im not saying its a bad thing. ive done it too, but thats what fuels our hobby. if people didnt do that i doubt we would have all the cars we have now, or all the hop ups we have. but i still think RTR ruined the hobby. i want to be able to put my car together and know how everything works and if i need to fix something, i know how b/c i put it together in the first place. well back to the point.

the reasson nitro is going to be made is simple, supply and demand. people want was hasnt been made, so they are supplying them. people want them so they can brag that they have it. i dont know what happened to racing for braging rights, seems as though money gives you bragging rights now too. i also think that what you have is an extention of how much money you have. kids buy all these car so they can brag about how much they have, or what they have so that people think they are rich. i mean its like showing everyone $500 cash, but you can play with it and drive it down the street and launch it off jumps. or for some few and set it on the self and lett it sit and be stared at. (self queens)
this is not to be effensive. it is just my oppinion so dont take any of this the wrong way.....
Old 03-19-2006, 12:23 PM
rschoi_75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, I agree with all you guys. There's really no point to having a nitro mini, except for the "wow" factor.

I totally understand it from a marketing pov. Its great PR for the companies and generates lots of buzz. I mean look at us. We all think its pointless, yet we're still talking about it.

In the end, I'll stick to the electric minis.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ever consider how many people try to make their own mini-nitros or claim to prefer nitro over electric, but won't purchase a mini because most "were" electric? A mini-nitro simply bridges the gap between those who prefer larger nitros and would own a mini if there was a nitro-mini. Simple supply and demand. And for those who don't want a mini-nitro, the decision is also simple--don't purchase one. Quite frankly, to me this thread is basically no different from those "electric v. nitro" threads whether or not it was intended to be or not.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:45 PM
rschoi_75

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah you're right. same ole story... nitro vs electric. I guess we beat this topic into the ground huh? lol.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:37 PM
carmatic1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah , where an electric mini would work, a nitro mini would look completely stupid, way too much power and noise, like who would want a gas engine running in their homes?
but there are some places where 1. its too cramped to fit a 1/8 or 1/10 scale vehicle (like a bmx dirt track that i found a few hours ago) 2. its so far out there that you either lug a few battery packs with you, or you carry an equally heavy bottle of fuel, cuz you aint coming home to recharge anytime soon... in the latter case i think that you could say nitro would kind of work,but so would the roughly equally priced brushless and lipo setup... i prefer electric cuz i could just switch it on and run, gets you where you want to go, and switch it off, with nitro theres the whole romance of starting it up and priming it and whatnot , good for people who have experience with real cars, with 1/18 they can take their passion to even more places like their living rooms... dont suppose it makes that much difference to the air compared to a house full of smokers!
Old 03-19-2006, 01:48 PM
PillowPants

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think nitro mini's are are pretty cool concept! Would I ever buy one? Maybe if they made a MT version, but probably not.. Do I have a problem with them? No, not in the least bit..
Old 03-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well there is the Xray N18T. Perhaps, soon an MT or perhaps, the T can just be converted to an MT.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:48 PM
sleepy23

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nedMX
also, another thing i dont understand. why the need to make your 1/18th faster than your 1/10th scale with super high KV butshless motors and high power lipo batts...
whats wrong with having a high power mini to match a high power 1/10th?
my t4 EVO custom truck runns over 50mph with a 2s, my other t4 runs about 45mph, and my RC18t should hit somewhere over 60.
speed is fun whither its big or small.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:05 PM
-Inverted-

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nedMX
also, another thing i dont understand. why the need to make your 1/18th faster than your 1/10th scale with super high KV butshless motors and high power lipo batts...
The question is why not! personally I have a blast having a small truck others may consider "puny" or a "toy" beat their "oh so bad" nitro's or "super fast" buggy's or stadium trucks on the track, its definately something to brag about. Some people dont realize the power and fun you can get with a mini.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:20 PM
darthballs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

man 1/18s annoy me while im driving at the track. theyre all over the place like little gnats. i think theyre pretty cool but they over populate the track near me and i wind up just trying to dodge the things
Old 03-19-2006, 10:54 PM
vge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well guys I agree and disagree. Here is my point, for bashing around in the yard there is no point what so ever for mini nitro. But from a racers point of view. My local hobby shop during the spring stops indoor mini racing. Then they go outside in the parking lot and race 1/10 electric and nitro in a parking lot. Well the track they set up is nice but in reality it is pretty small for 1/10th racing. We get max 3 - 4 1/10th racers on the track at a time. Now you take the same track and put 1/18th nitro and 1/18th electric, it becomes perfect size. Not only is it perfect size for about 5 - 6 cars at once, the racer no longer has to bring a trailer to race I am sure you guys know that when you go 1/10th racing (especially nitro) you need to bring your whole work bench and the large 1/10th scale car or truck. Most of the guys at my LHS track totally agree. If they had come out with 1/18th before 1/10th I am sure the hobby would be so much different now for racing. Parts are much cheaper, hop ups are much cheaper, that means more people can get into the actual racing of the hobby. Before 1/18th most racing depended on how much money you have. Now thats not an issue and now it's about totally driving. Now the new guys can have a setup just as good as the A main guys. Plus the mini's are so much easier to tag around. Many of us leave our mini's in our cars and trucks till the next racing weekend. So I will definitely get both the 1/18th truck and car. My larger 1/10th and 1/8th will start to collect more dust. I dont remember the last time I raced my 1/10 electric.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:09 AM
chazpages

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys, I dont think that off-road 1/18 scales are perfect, but either way its helping our hobby. I definitly think there is a "WOW" factor, because its cool to see something that small as a nitro. Would I buy one? No, but I still think it is cool.

p.s. I think messing with my t-maxx(and emaxx, stampede and mlst) is a pain in the butt, I cant imagine how hard it must be to work on a 1/18 nitro!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 02:48 PM
carmatic1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

like , come to think of it, this is the future where everything is minaturized...more defined manufacturing processes making ever more precise parts , and its only a matter of time before they make a really small engine... its not limited to computer chips!
Old 03-20-2006, 05:46 PM
vge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just imagine going to a race and everything you need including the actuall car or truck is in a small back pack or bag.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I suspect when the dust settles that there might be general acceptance in our hobby for 1/18 buggies and 1/18 on road Nitros.

I forsee nitro 1/18 monster trucks leaving as fast as they about to start coming in. Just a novelty, it's not going to be a sustainable market. Save this post, and in a year tell me I'm wrong- I doubt you will.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:58 AM
spaticusjean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I want a nitro mini mt. Xray and schumacher are coming out with them this month. When the guys take out their 1/8's it's usually a day trip or a camping weekend. The kids and I charge all the batteries we own, play with our electrics for 1/2 hour and then sit around watching the nitros. We have enough batteries to keep everyone happy at home with a quick charge but it sucks when were away from home. when we go camping the guys quad, 4x4, paintball and bash nitros. now with the release of the nitro mini mt us bench warmers can get in the fun.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Lilredmachine

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Think about it. A 10 inch long car weighing 1.5 KG with an .18 in it. Convert an MLST and you have a serious offroad machine, with excellent suspension and offroad capability. I can accept that cars like the Mini-T and rc18t are crap offroad, but I haven't met something that'll stop my MLST yet. it has a good 2 inches of ground clearence and immense torque. With decent motors and batteries it'll kick off 1/8th ramps easily. There is no reason these should be ridiculed at all.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:10 PM
slinginaway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man Dont you think you guys are biing a little harsh. I think any scale rc is fun to drive. Have any of you seen the vidio out on the web showing off kyoshos new 18th sc. nitro?That thing looks like it rips. Sure it wouldnt be any good in grass,or rocky areas. But on the track I think any of you would have blast with it. Not that you would go out and buy one. I will say nothing puts a smile on my face like an 8th scale buggie! But you cant say 18th sc. nitro is a stupid idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service