Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

SPORTWERKS chaos 1/16 buggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:27 PM
lords

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SPORTWERKS chaos 1/16 buggy

ORIGINAL: roystben

both hard to decide the sportwerks chaos isnt going to be around long

well as we know, it is getting very rare..I think you should go for it..I run mine once a week...and have 3 engines for it...2 stock and 1 picco0..that's because I am always updating my savages 1/8 scale and my freaking Masters buggy 1/10 scale with a 1/8 scale hpi .25 engine
but as for the chaos it's well worth keeping it and finding a almost dropin replacement for the diffs not saying mine are going bad(being a metal cup and pinion gear)now...but just for the future that would be the main thing to do then the steering (tightening it up a bit)
so the buggy is well worth it price....
Old 11-12-2008, 06:45 PM
vicdat

I agree w/ Lords. the Chaos's have their moments, but I still run and repair mine weekly (especially now that my 1/8 Ofna buggy is down with a case of broken lower A-arm). I just got back fron my LHS and picked-up a set of new diff cases to unlock and revert my center diff back to stock and fill with thick silicon oil (per Lord's recommendations). This should give me some rear brake, and hopefully cool down the rear diff. We'll see...
Old 11-12-2008, 09:48 PM
roystben

Thanks Im going for it but Im going to cast alum diffs if You want some later on

Ben
Old 11-13-2008, 01:17 AM
roystben

Thanks Im going for it but Im going to cast alum diffs if You want some later on

Ben
hope i can cast diffs prob
Old 11-13-2008, 09:29 AM
vicdat

Hey Roy, anythings worth a try as far as beefing-up the driveline on a Chaos. Give the aluminum a try if you have skills.I never went through ring gears when I was running stock, now with the Trinity pinion I'm getting a lot of wear on the rear. Last night I unlocked the center and rebuilt it completely with new spur, new mounting posts and 5000 wt silicon; also I rebuilt the rear (again). I'm hoping that the additional heat from the locked center was the culprut. Amazingly the original spur gear was still almost perfect so plastic gears can work...
Old 11-13-2008, 12:36 PM
roystben

can work matters how you drive it but alum is better last longer thanks

,Ben
Old 11-15-2008, 05:01 PM
roystben

that's kinda a dumb Question

if i knew i would of already decided
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
vicdat

Yeah Ben , thats just the way Lords is... Just get the Chaos, they're a kick in the butt.
I made a little mod to mine this weekend: I drilled a small hole in the top of the diff housing and installed a small plug so I can fill it with silicon oil from the top without dismantling it (and also visually check the ring gear). I cleaned everything and sealed it real good with silicon sealer. The rear was still getting just as hot as before (when the center diff was locked), but the plastic is holding up as long as I give it a little cool-down time between runs; I think that the close proximity to the engine makes it quite a bit hotter than the front which is fairly cool to the touch.
I wonder if the available heat sink engine mount would help. Anybody tried them? I'll probably switch back to the locked center diff for better braking in the very near future.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Beomagi

Just picked it up for $70. Read through as much of this thread as I could yesterday.

So I take it the diffs are the weakpoint? Given that this appears to be a diff case with shaft cup and outdrives bolted onto a sheet of metal, I figured it would be fun(and hopefully simple) to experiment with other differentials.

This will be converted to an electric buggy. How's the steering on this? It is sloppy?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:34 PM
vicdat

Yeah B, The diffs are the problem, but a lot of people have come up with various solutions. Somewhere on this thread way bacik when there was a guy the used a complete Trinity Next. Me and a few others are just using the Trinity metal pinion only with decent results. The other electric Chaos's on RCU looked intriguing...
Old 11-17-2008, 04:42 PM
vicdat

Oh yeah, the stock radio is crap, and steering is a little weak and sloppy, but Hitec' s and Spectrum help mucho. Otherwise expect a little vague feel with lousy centering.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:45 PM
lords

yeppers on the slop steering process...at first when I took off, the steering would pull left..I thought it was just needing transmitter adjustments..after finding out that wasn't it,I thought ok maybe the heavy sill oil on the rear diff was causing this and I need to run it for about 1/2 hour straight to heat up the diff and then see if it loosened it up a bit..but to my surprise it was ok ,from the start...so the last but the looking good and tight not running was the steering setup...got as far as building and installing 2 turnbuckles..problem solved
well almost, the idler arm assembly is built great for the specs of this buggy but the part itself is flimsy...so on killer takeoffs it still pulls, but that's ok as I don't use to many killer takeoffs
Old 11-17-2008, 06:50 PM
lords

that's kinda a dumb Question

if i knew i would of already decided

true that...but now you entered the ring of hell
you talking the talk and walking the walk as a chaos MAN. time for you to prove it [8D]
you make them castings and we will buy them at a nice cost(don't kill us on this)
remember your words...you posted it more then once
Peace
time to start getting ideas on my 1/5 scale baja [8D]
Old 11-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Beomagi

ORIGINAL: vicdat

Oh yeah, the stock radio is crap, and steering is a little weak and sloppy, but Hitec' s and Spectrum help mucho. Otherwise expect a little vague feel with lousy centering.

Well, I'm prepared for bad steering. I've just gone through a love->hate->love relationship with my rc18t. Steering on those is horrible. At stock my friend's rc18r could not track straight, and past 20mph, my rc18t wouldn't hold a straight line worth it's salt.

loved it as my first rc.
hated it after I got the detta/minit/me16tc as it's got the worst steering.
loved it after I modded it(build anew more like using a few spares...) to kingdom come.

http://beomagi.ath.cx/pics/rc18t_cus...lted_servo.jpg
http://beomagi.ath.cx/pics/rc18t_cus...race-servo.jpg
http://beomagi.ath.cx/pics/rc18t_cus...ideprofile.jpg
http://beomagi.ath.cx/pics/rc18t_cus...ee-linkage.jpg

After this I'm feeling a lot more adventurous. Proper servo and a kimborough saver, probably redo the linkage.
The price attracted me. tx+rx+aluminum chassis+most stuff I can reuse.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:37 PM
roystben

i might not beable to get one lets see if handhelditems.com will give me my money back or send the gun back to me but if i dont get one i will still be looking foward to casting diffs
thanks ,Ben
Old 11-23-2008, 10:40 AM
brick64vxl

winter sucks!!!!! plastic gets real brittle when it below freezing outside.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:31 PM
roystben

you can say that agin i live in indiana so it gets realy cold at this time
Old 11-23-2008, 05:53 PM
lords

well I hate to do this but, I am thinking of putting 1 of mine up on ebay (monday)seeing though I have 2 chaos buggy's
it will come with 2 stock motors and all new drive parts along with the old and new turnbuckle's and of course the TX and RX...
Old 11-23-2008, 08:23 PM
lords

A MUST TO LEARN
# How can I tell how fast my R/C vehicle is?
One approach is to mount an onboard GPS unit.

Another approach to measure your vehicle speed is: use a speed trap. All official speed records are measured this way. Here's how a simple speed trap works:
We want to find out how many feet per second the vehicle is traveling. This is easy to do.
Measure off a known distance on a street (at least 200 feet). 300 or more feet is better and will be more accurate. Mark a start line and a finish line.
Now, get a long running start from further down the street, so your vehicle is going FULL SPEED on your vehicle when you cross the start line.
With a stopwatch, have someone time how long it takes the vehicle to travel from the start line to the finish. This is best accomplished as follows:
Have the person with the stopwatch stand at the start line, and start the timer when the vehicle crosses the line. Have another person with a flag or something stand at the finish line. When the vehicle crosses the finish line, quickly lower the flag. The person with the stopwatch should stop the timer when the flag is lowered.
Let's say it took your vehicle 3.4 seconds.
This means that it was going (200 feet / 3.4 seconds) = 58.8 feet per second.
But how many MPH is that?
There are 60 seconds in a minute and 60 minutes in an hour, so there are (60 * 60) = 3600 seconds in an hour.
This means it was going (58.8 feet/sec * 3600 sec/hour) = 211,764 feet per hour.
Almost there...
There are 5,280 feet in a mile, so your vehicle was going (211,764 / 5280) = 40.1 MPH. Not bad!

The general formula for finding MPH from Feet Per Second is: FPS * .682 = MPH.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:02 PM
bigairlife

i've had my chaos for a month now, and im really maddddd. I have alot of nitro experience, but i haven't been able to get the engine running for more than 1 minute, and it will not idle. Any suggestions? If i cant get it to work, i'll be putting it up on ebay for cheap, and i'll let u guys know. might make a good parts car...
Old 11-25-2008, 09:23 AM
vicdat

Hey Bigair, have you checked to make sure that the piston liner is lined-up? Mine was fine and the car always runs good, but a couple guys on this thread said that theirs were slightly off the mark. It's an easy fix if that's the prob...
Old 11-26-2008, 06:20 PM
bigairlife

i'll check later today and report back. if it's off, all you do it push it back into place.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:00 PM
bigairlife

Thanks alot vicdat. I got my chaos up and running really well. Today was a blast and the chaos was running with temps of about 235 with decent smoke and really nice speed....
Old 11-26-2008, 10:34 PM
lords

ORIGINAL: bigairlife

Thanks alot vicdat. I got my chaos up and running really well. Today was a blast and the chaos was running with temps of about 235 with decent smoke and really nice speed....
LEAVE IT! you found the sweet spot

mine is now hanging around with it's father
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40571.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1079643  
Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 PM
bigairlife

CAn i run mini-t rear tires and wheels on this buggy with no modification?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.