Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

RC18MT, Losi, or Mini Quake? New to the hobby!

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

RC18MT, Losi, or Mini Quake? New to the hobby!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:56 PM
subyman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC18MT, Losi, or Mini Quake? New to the hobby!

I just got into the hobby with a Traxxas Tmaxx 3.3. I love that thing (a little fast for a noob, but I'm learning.) I would like to get a mini monster truck to mess around with when I don't feel like/have enough time to get out the Tmaxx. So, here are a few questions I have:

What mini monster truck would you recommend?
Can I modify the mini to use a 7cell NiMH battery pack (3300mah)?
About how fast do these little guys run stock?

The LHS carries the Associated RC18MT, Losi, and Dura Mini Quake. I would like to stick to one of those three, but don't really want to spend over 200 dollars. I would like to use a 7cell pack because I already own one and a peak charger for it (plus 3300mah would last a long time in that small thing.)

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Kokopelli06

Default RE: RC18MT, Losi, or Mini Quake? New to the hobby!

I would recommend the Team Losi mini lst. Its a great little truck and the only problem with it that i have had with it was the pinion gear stripping. The pack that you want to use is to big to fit into any of these without a lot of modification of the battery pack. I dont know how fast the stock mlst can go but it can go pretty fast. Hope this helps
Old 12-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Dokioto

The Mini LST goes 16 stock.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Dokioto

If you aren't wanting to go over $200 stay away from the Mini LST. You have to spend a little more money to get it going good. I really like mine though.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:25 PM
mirage-twin

The mini-lst is great but I have never owned or driven the rc18 or mini quake so I can't make a comparison.

Boiling and greasing the diffs will make the mlst hold up fine with the stock motors, just upgrade to deans connectors for the battery to esc and hard wire the esc to the motors.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:12 PM
subyman

Okay, so it looks like the 7 cell batt is out of question.

About how much am I looking at to get the Losi up and running? I think I have narrowed it down to the RC18MT and the Losi now. Looks like the RC18MT is RTR for around 180 bucks. I will mostly use it for bashing (trails, offroad, jumps, hardpack) and not racing if that helps narrow it down some more.

About how much money will a 6 cell pack run and I assume I can charge it on my peak charger that I use for the 7 cell?

Thanks a lot, can't wait to get my hands on one of these little guys!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:17 PM
subyman

Wow, just looked on the teamlosi website and it says the LST goes for 299 MSRP. Hell, I could get a Emaxx for that price!!! I think I will stay with the Associated on this one.

A couple more questions for you guys:
About how long is the run time on these things?
Can I get big capacity battery packs in 6cell like the 7 cells (such as 3300, 4200, etc?)

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:23 PM
-Inverted-

Why are you looking at MSRP....you can get a mini-lst for $180 or less.....
Old 12-29-2006, 11:41 PM
TheArsonist21

You can get teh MLST for 200 at most hobby shops, if not less.

I personally like it more than the 18, just seems a lot sturdier. And if you are leaving it stock, the battery pack that comes with it is more than enough. Personally, mine is stock right now, well until that 350 bucks worth of upgrades comes in the mail anyways, and im very happy with it.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:13 AM
subyman

Yeah, I just surfed over to HorizonHobbies and checked it out. Looks like a good deal now. I will go down to the LHS tomorrow or the next day and check them out in person. Hopefully I come back with a new box of goodies!

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:34 AM
Seek and Destroy

ORIGINAL: subyman

I just got into the hobby with a Traxxas Tmaxx 3.3. I love that thing (a little fast for a noob, but I'm learning.) I would like to get a mini monster truck to mess around with when I don't feel like/have enough time to get out the Tmaxx. So, here are a few questions I have:

What mini monster truck would you recommend?
Can I modify the mini to use a 7cell NiMH battery pack (3300mah)?
About how fast do these little guys run stock?

The LHS carries the Associated RC18MT, Losi, and Dura Mini Quake. I would like to stick to one of those three, but don't really want to spend over 200 dollars. I would like to use a 7cell pack because I already own one and a peak charger for it (plus 3300mah would last a long time in that small thing.)

Thanks in advance!
I have a t-maxx too, I love mine. I would recomend the rc18mt. I loved mine, but it's not perfect stock. A 7 cell pack will fit, but you are talking about sub-c cells, when you want 2/3 a cells. I can tell that you are talking about sub c cells because there is no 2/3a cell that goes that high in mah. Stock, close to 20mph, so about 1/2 the speed of your maxx. But are easily capable of smoking that maxx. Also for that charger you will need an adaptor for the mini plugs. THe stock 18mt comes with a bat which is fairly good.

To keep it running good and for a while:
shim the diffs
don't do full reverse to full forwards
replace the esc with a better one

The stock esc tends to fry, so get a novak spy. It's like $50 but is way better than stock.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:59 AM
pimptruck

Why did you just give up on the Mini Quake? It's a great truck, I think I'm going to get one. But if you want it for offroading get the MLST cuz it has more clearance.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:37 AM
TheArsonist21

Im down with the LST more than anything else. I looked at the 18 and its too small, and the Quake was just out of the question for me..

Plus, I always loved Team Losi. I own a Mini T as well as the LST, and Its a great little truck.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:00 AM
jas11151990

i have the mini lst and the main down side is the 4wd system, if one wheel looses contact all the power goes to one wheel, but its great other than that
Old 01-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Hacker Da-Cracker
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Get the RC18MT it comes with a battery and charger. Its got WAY more upgrades. Dosent have problems stock like the Mini LST. Its just a WAYYYY better truck.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:21 PM
ZDarryl

I just got the RC18MT for Christmas and it is awesome. It's very fast and durable. I set up a small jump (about a foot tall) in my basement and had it jumping as high as the light switch! And that is with only about 6 ft of carpet before the jump and 6 ft after the jump. It is tons of fun. Even had it doing a double back flip off the same jump. Went up the ramp in reverse and then floored it forward when it left the jump. I made a short video clip of it here:

[link]http://www.therogers5.com/Image/RC/RC18MT_Double_Back_Flip.wmv[/link]

Here is a longer video of some basement bashing.

[link]http://www.therogers5.com/Image/RC/RC18MT_Basement_Bashing.wmv[/link]

The guys at my local Hobby Shop said that based on their experience, the RC18MT is the toughest (fewest parts breaking).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79011.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	595078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62098.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	595079