Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

Help: Mini-lst motor gear and center gear keep worning out

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Help: Mini-lst motor gear and center gear keep worning out

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:29 PM
sit1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Mini-lst motor gear and center gear keep worning out

My mini-lst motor gear and center gear keep worning out. First time it was worn out, I thought the stock gear (black plastic) is too cheap, so I bought the aluminum gear. However, until now the gear keep worning out. There are totally three times I have been changing the gear... I follow the manual which said the slipper should not be tightened all the way. I did that but I still have no luck. A ny idea? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:48 AM
Makuku68

Default RE: Help: Mini-lst motor gear and center gear keep worning out

What motor are you running? The stock or an upgrade like brushless?
Old 06-09-2006, 11:58 AM
sit1

I am running Mamba 6800 and mamba controller. For now I am using nikel battery. I read through the forum, and I guess somebody should have the same problem. The gears just melt down after 2 or 3 runs. Any idea? Do I need to lower the gear? Should I put gear grease? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:45 PM
mycarisaser

Inside the tranny you should put som lithium grease in it. I have a motor that is more powerfull than the mamba 6800 (the wraith 7k) and I am still on my stock gears(except the wraith motor is too powerfull for the center team losi ball diff) I have my slipper tightend all the way and still have no issues. I am very rough on my truck too. I jump 2 to 4 foot ramps almost every day and was jumping sand dunes the other day doing back flipps 30 foot in the air. You might want to check your gear spacing for your pinion and spur. As for your Idler gear in the tranny you just need to make sure that you get all the shreeded stuff out, replace and grease
Old 06-09-2006, 08:10 PM
sit1

Hi mycarisaser, when you said "tranny", do you mean the center transmission? If it is, where should I buy lithium grease?

Do I need to put lithium grease (or other kind of grease) on the pinion and spur?
Old 06-09-2006, 08:23 PM
mycarisaser

not on the pinion and spur b/c it will cause dirt to stick and kill it. yes put grease in the center tranny(all over the gears) Here is what I use http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKR90&P=7
I hope this helps. If you have the gear cover on over the pinion and spur you shouldnt have any problems with the stock gears. You just need to get the gears as close as possable with out the ends of the gears touching each other It should have very little play inbetween it but it must have some. (if you have your center tranny open look at the gear spacing in there and match it with your pinion and spur. Also if you run your slipper to loose it can cause your spur to get to hot and it could melt the center of the gear or cause it to melt the teeth.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:12 PM
sit1

Yes, I just cleaned up the center transmission, but it seems to be pretty clean already. If problem still exists, should I change it to aluminum gear cover for center transmission? Or should I change to ball diff? Thanks.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:52 AM
mycarisaser

I have both. A ball diff helps take a lot of stress off the rest of your drive train BUT I have gone through 3 losi ball diffs and one mip(mini-t ball diff) . They dont handle the power very long so MIP has made a ball diff just for the mlst to handle the extra power and weight. killerhobbies has it. The mip # is 1565. I killed the mip 1555 diff. Just dont get the losi one
Old 06-10-2006, 04:00 PM
sit1

After every run, I just go check the aluminum spur gears (54T & 24T). There is always silver powder, which is obviously the worn-out piece from the gears. My friend just uses the stock spur gears (black plastic one), but his is doing fine! I really don't know why. I am thinking if I change aluminum gear box and ball diff, are those really going to help? Or any other part has problems? Thanks.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Captincoke

It sounds as if your gear mesh on the pinions and spur are not right. Make sure there is no wobble in any of them also. Has any of your pinion gears come lose before? I had that happen and it wore the shaft hole bigger. I replaced the spur gear three times before I figured it out. New pinions fixed my problem. I also added thread lock to the set screw so it wouldn't happen again.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:47 AM

I'm having a similar problem with my MLST. I bought new pinions and spur gears. And it seems when I tighten the set screw in the pinion and set the mesh it always gets tighter when the set screw is facing the spur gear and gets alot loser when I turn the pinion to where the set screw is facing away from the spur. I'm thinking maybe I overtightend the aluminum pinion and some how streached the aluminum to where it's out of round. Would runing metal pinions solve this problem?
Old 06-11-2006, 07:59 PM
sit1

I think mine is more about the problem of center tranmission. The center shaft does not seem to be smooth. Maybe Captincoke is right, the shaft hole is getting bigger and bigger for some reasons.