Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

A review of the MIP Diff cups for the RC18T MT B

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

A review of the MIP Diff cups for the RC18T MT B

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A review of the MIP Diff cups for the RC18T MT B

Not being satisfied with all of the clicking (and diff gear shredding) from the stock diffs on my Comp X Mambafied RC18MT, I was getting to be in dire need of a solution! I was tired of not being able to utilize my truck's full power without risk of stripping gears!

My MIP diffs arrived for my 18mt and I got them installed. They are steel like I had hoped.

They include Diff grease (For the diff balls), Both cups, a different diff spring, A different diff screw and nut and special red grease for the tiny balls (thrust balls) around the diff screw (You re-use the diff gears, the 2 D-washers, the diff balls, the thrust balls, and the 3 washers on the diff spring side. Like I had hoped, the support for the back of the large diff gear is bigger!

The MIP instruction settings need modification, though. They recommend to bottom out the spring and back off 1 full turn. That is WAAAAAY too loose for the Mamba 8k system. It felt so loose in my hands, that I decided to start with tight minus 3/4 of a turn. I am happy to announce that through a whole 1300mah 11.1v Lipo Pack, I did not get a single click!!!! The truck handled better and I was able to apply the brakes for the first time without getting clicks.

On heavy (i.e. full) acceleration, I could hear the diffs slipping...Not horribly, but enough to draw my attention. This is fine, because the cups are steel, but excessive slipping can generate heat & warp or melt the larger diff gear. On Monday, I am going to try tight minus 1/2 turn and see if I can coax any wheelies out of it while still eliminating the clicking. My fingers are crossed!

The extra cool part is that all of my testing today was with only 2 (YES 2) diff shims!!!! That is the factory number! No extra shims needed! No binding gears!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 10:13 AM
Seek and Destroy

Default RE: A review of the MIP Diff cups for the RC18T MT B

Cool, I might have to get some because I run a nimh bat so I shouldn't have any slipping at all.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Jrgunn5150

So this is the "super diff" then? BTW thanks for the review!
Old 08-06-2006, 01:51 PM
rsx19

yeah thas was one of the frist upgrades i did befor running the car at all. i also have an 8kmamba .

the nect thing u need a cvd's
Old 08-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Seek and Destroy

He's already got cvd's. And so do I.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Tolano

i have the mip super diffs and i run them completely locked out as recommened by tony phalen (team associated driver) for use with brushless motors. i have never experienced any issues with them and i really like the extra weight of the steel, helps keep my land rocket a little more planted.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Nitronutt

I ran them at 1/2 turn from tight this evening for 2 6-Cell Packs and am loving the performance.

The 1/2 turn from tight seems to be the perfect setting. It still allows some protection, but does not slip noticably. I am really loving these diffs! They allow me to get on the brakes (set at 30% by the castle link) and skid the front wheels without any clicking! Again, I am only running the factory 2 shims. NICE!

P.S. The 6 Cell (one stock 1100mah, one IB 1400) packs seem to provide the perfect balance of crazy yet controllable speed with the Mamba 8k.

I do have 3 Racing CVD's. So far, I am very pleased with those to boot!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Seek and Destroy

I might get some then, but I need to fix my truck first.[:@][&o]
Old 08-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Tolano

yeah, i run lipo and brushless and from everything i have read its just not a good idea to let the diffs slip at all if you are running anything more than a brushed motor. if it works for you then thats all that really matters though. i thought about the three racing cvds, but decided to go with mip instead, i tend to always trust the original.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:08 AM
Nitronutt

1/2 turn from tight does indeed seem to be optimum.

Using a fully charged 6-Cell IB 1400 Pack (Again on my Mamba 8k) will yield wheelies on concrete (Asphalt lets the stock tires slip just enough not to do them).

4 Packs through and not a single click!! I am very pleased!