Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > 1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars
Reload this Page >

This post had 18 hits, but no comments? Someone, please advise...

Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

This post had 18 hits, but no comments? Someone, please advise...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 02:20 PM
abjones413

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This post had 18 hits, but no comments? Someone, please advise...

Would this SMC IB1400 8.4V 7-cell work with the stock ESC and motor in a RC18MT - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...37&I=LXMGW8&P=K If so, how would it benefit with the extra 1.2V? Noticeable power increase? I don't want to risk frying the ESC or motor...

This is what I'm going with as of now - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...37&I=LXMGW7&P=K This one seems like a winner, but if the 8.4V is safe and has more power I suppose I could throw down an extra $5...

What about runtimes? I want to maximize that. Any tips, aside from properly charging the battery at 1 - 1.5mAh. Any particular batteries better than others in this field? Keep in mind I don't want to spend over $30 on a batt. I was going for $20, but that doesn't seem possible. Not for a good one at least. Anything out there with reputable runtime AND power???

Oh yeah, what's the deal with the Deans Ultra plugs? Should I grab some for my battery packs and ESC/charger or what? Do they really make a difference? I didn't really plan on doing much to this truck aside from charging the batteries. I can always play with my nitro when I want things to get complicated. lol If you have a nitro, you should definitely know what I mean...

Quick motor Q: What's the difference in number of turns, like between the Reedy 17 turn mini mod and 19 turn mini mod for example? More turns = faster motor? Also, are Associated Reedy's good motor choices? I recently read they were some of the best nowadays. When I decide I need to upgrade, I want an affordable, low maintenence, high power motor, if there is such a thing. Oh, and I don't want to go brushless with this. I have my 1/10 nitro for speed...

Keep in mind I don't even have the truck yet. Just a few more weeks... I want to research a bit to make sure I get everything right BEFORE I order it. I'm also waiting for my bonus check!
Old 10-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This post had 18 hits, but no comments? Someone, please advise...

The IB cells are great. The stock stuff can handle the 8.4v pack, but the motor is questionable in general. I ran a 7-cell IB1400 pack for a bit, but I was running a 6-cell pack in my back yard when the motor bit the big one - just plain stopped - never to start again. That was when I bought the Mamba 8k package and the rest is history.

The IB 1400 pack gave me around 20 minutes of runtime and had very good punch. The Deans are a preference, I use Sermos/Anderson power Poles. You should use a high power capable connector to maximize the power to the ESC and the motor.

The number of turns in a motor directly relates to peak RPM, the location of the power band, and the amp draw. The lower the number of turns, the faster the motor & the more amperage it will draw (Also typically, the higher in the rpm band where peak power is produced).