Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

Tamiya Tamtech Gear Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:27 AM
Suprachrgd82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya Tamtech Gear Thread

New from Kawada

$260

http://www.kawadamodel.co.jp/moro_in...100/index.html
Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 PM
pro

I found this also a cupple of days ago but lost the link[] This is a very nice upgrade! Check out the vid. But the price is a little disturbing[&:]
Old 11-05-2007, 07:27 PM
gtypecanare

Tam-Truck Concept

Old 03-18-2008, 10:33 AM
The_DDub

Ok, the bug bit me. I am going to get a Hornet and gonna go 2s lipo/brushless with it. I know to upgrade to oil shocks as step 1. Now what wheels are you guys running? I want a street set. I know those are micro RS4 tires.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:42 AM
mjderstine

i have all the info you want on tires.

get the 3racing 12mm adapter, or the driven products 12mm adapter, and use m-chassis wheels and tires.

you can put and proline tire around the m-chassis rims, or you can use the m-chassis radials from HPI or Tamiya.

check out our site for a lot more info. we love the tamtechs.

www.tamiyatamtalk.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63353.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	906771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57343.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	906772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34172.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	906773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63343.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	906774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46965.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	906775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wn86629.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	906776  
Old 03-18-2008, 12:03 PM
The_DDub

U have a REALLY nice set up. I particularly like the 5 split spoke wheels. Hot Fox u have Also, what are the weakest parts that will break first and can use a good alum upgrade? Knuckles? C-Hubs? I know u are all decked in alum, but I like to only replace what is really the weakest.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 PM
mjderstine

well, i actually took most of the aluminum off since i am racing it now. it really saves weight. the only that that i have broken/bent are the suspentsion shafts. i would buy extras, or get the Ti ones from Tamiya. other than that.... nothing really breaks, and the only aluminum upgrade i would get it the motor mount with the built in heat sinks.

oh, and the 3racing steering upgrade is a must. throw the stock one away.

that should be about it. keep us informed.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 AM

dudes how is it going ... I have the tam tec fox...nessasary upgrades are 3 racing stearing upgrade,3 racing oil dampers, associated super 370 motor $10.99 if you want to stick with brushed motors if not mamba brushless is great,Right now castle creations is selling the cm 4200 rpm motor for $20.00, I bought 4, alloy upgrades are not nessary they just take away from the scale look and add weight. Radio shack has a clearence on there pro pulse 1200mah battery packs for $5.97 or $6.97, or 1400mah for $9.99., I bought like 20 packs so that i can resale them on ebay.These packs are a direct fit to the tamteck cars. Ok I have given you the info on these items so get to shopping.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:30 PM

dude where did you get the rear tire and what kind of tire is it.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:54 PM
littlehammer

Just picked up a Frog and a Hornet, love these buggies. Compact fun in a box. Just bought the CVA dampers by Tamiya and was wondering what the stock red oil viscosity was, can anyone help?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:20 PM
mikodude

I'm led to believe the red stuff is #200 cst. It seems to suit the dampers quite well when your running it off road with the medium springs. I suspect you'd want something a little different if you're running carpet or on road.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:27 PM
mikodude

Just to add, you'll have trouble really breaking these buggies. I've flipped mine and run into things at speed without any damage. I don't run bumpers either. I'm running the strengthened suspension pivots, which are probably a good idea. The 3Racing steering kit is worth it, as are oil shocks if you don't have any. If you're running more than stock power I think the aluminium diff halfs are a good idea. Clean then pretty regularly and they will last a long time. I think aluminium only really adds weight, and you're only transferring any impacts or forces to somewhere else on the buggy, probably the chassis.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:11 AM
littlehammer

Mikodude,

Thanks for the info. Just an update, the only thing I bent on the Frog was the front shock shaft of the friction damper. That's why I went for the CVA dampers and a bumper kit. I figure it's like kids and sending them to school. If I only had one I would have gotten the aluminum threaded dampers, but being that I have three to support I went with the CVA for all of them. For the money I am pretty happy with the improvement in handling. I have two GB01 and one GT01.

The GT01 Ferrari has a Mamba 25 with a 8000kV motor and 3s lipo 1200mAh packs. It's a very tight fit. The smallest pinion I had was an eleven tooth. It looses traction in the rear way too easily under rapid acceleration. Even when it's going above 20mph. Has anyone tried the hi-traction rear tire from Tamiya? I tried the 1/10th scale foam tires. It hooks up so much better but made the slipper clutch too heated/slipping. I didn't want to wear it out because I don't have anywhere to find replacement/upgrade parts for that. I have the front headlights and brake lights installed, just waiting to find some 3mm yellow LEDs for the turn signals. The GT01 is running a HS-225MG steering servo as well as one on the GB01 (Frog).

I have 1/10 scale NTC3 tires on both of the GB01s. I tried the Driven Productions, 12mm Delrin wheel adapters and I am not too happy with the quality of them. I had to shave the hexes to fit the rims and 3 out of 4 were binding after I installed them. I had to loosen them so they would turn freely but it seems to have a wobble now. The 12mm adapters that came with my GT01 are much better quality and they are stock. I have taken the Frog up to the snow and driven it on snowy icy roads, that was a blast. It moved pretty well for 2wd and stock dampers. I will post some pictures after I get the bumpers installed.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:28 PM
TravAndAlex

My Mini Fox:

Old 02-05-2009, 12:32 PM
TravAndAlex

My Buggy Champ:

Old 02-05-2009, 04:14 PM
littlehammer

That Fox is really cool. Have you done anything to the slipper clutch or the diffs to make them last longer? I really like both the buggies! I can't afford to put that much into mines but that is too cool. Is that your Frog on E-Bay right now?
Old 02-05-2009, 04:41 PM
TravAndAlex

Hey. Thanks! The Fox has a delrin main gear and the Buggy Champ has a titanium main gear. Both gears are from Mini-T's... it is nice that those parts are interchangeable because there are way more Mini-T options. I've not had any issues with the diffs, although if you look close at picture number 3 of the Fox... you can see I'm missing one CVD...

Yup... that is my Ebay auction for the hopped up brushless Frog. These new brushless systems are AWESOME... I find them nicer than the Mamba systems (way easier to program), but all the power you are looking for. It will make a sweet car for somebody!
Old 02-05-2009, 06:16 PM
mikodude

Are you saying that the stock plastic diff survives the brushless?

Looks like you have 3Racing CVDs, how do you find these?

My stock uni shafts have worn out and cause a huge vibration in the back of the car.

I've actually ordered some Tobee shafts which look awesome, can't wait to try them.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:46 PM
littlehammer

I have a simple question. For the Frog/Fox, what is the stock battery connector called and where do I find ones for the battery side? I have some new 2s lipos but no connectors to use with them. They are a tight squeeze so the connector will have to fit into the battery compartment hole and run inside the body. I don't want to change the stock connectors to deans or even micro deans connectors because it seems to be overkill.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:07 PM
it8ezbngrn

Stock connectors can be bought under the HPI motor plug adapters at Tower.

I have a frog with a Tekin 5.4 BL, tamiya alum diff cups, Square steel CVDs, Futaba mini Hi/torq speed heli servo custom installed for sterring servo. Inferno plastic wing, tamiya CVA shocks and option springs 50 and 60 wt oil, HPI 1/10 wheels with tamiya rally tires, orion 1600 batts, clear gear cover,GPM derlin spur and 3Racing pinion and steering. Havent broken a thing. Wheelies and hauls. Check out oople.com reviews of the frog with a similar set up there is a video there. Only issue is traction. I have none on loose dirt or gravel. Tried diff settings but its touchy. On pavement its a monster. Its so light that it never breaks when you hit something. Looking at selling mine since I never run it.

For parts you can find them at Dinball or Etamiya or Ebay. Search using GB-01 rather than tamtech or tam tech. Stock diff ie just a couple metal balls with metal rings on ecah side of teh diff cups. It holds up.

I would like to get the GB-03 hotshot or the new traxxas mini e revo if it ever comes out. I figured this out. If you like to jump and bash hard light cars survive the best. get the mini inferno wings, they hold up if you land upside down. I can hit a speed bump, jump, flip i few feet in the air andn land on all four and keep going. It pretty cool. My only gripe its not 4wd. I did buy 2 extra cars cheap, partially parted them out for what I paid for the whole car and keep some parts. I have enough to build a whole car and a half.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:52 PM
everett.rm

I am a new to this, I picked up a used mini t and have had nothing but trouble (broken parts)... I see on ebay that RTR's are under $100 (Hornet, Wild Boar, Fox). Is this for real, are these decent? Are parts readily available?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:37 AM
it8ezbngrn

Read Above. Buy the reinforced hinge pins ad oil shocks and you'll be fine.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:02 PM

whats up guys.... well i have the mini fox .I am doing some testing with it because im going to race it.Guy's who complain about the rear end viberating a bit, Its mosts likely the plastic diff cups, i started having problems with my fox and i found out that the plastic diff cups had worn out ,so when i would excellerate the plastic diff cups would spin around the cvd drives...!!!!!!!! This is really pathetic quality on Tamiya's part
Old 03-16-2009, 07:22 PM

It is sad that every time tamiya comes out with a rc car or buggy that you have to spend around $100.00 or more just to make it run adiquately.Team Losi is the only rc dealer that can get it 98% right when it comes to rc cars, even the micro t has steel outdrives ..... and its a micro.The only reason I bought the fox is because i got it for like $60.00 and $12.00 shipping. Tower Hobbies was selling it for like $139.00. I have bought a back up mini frog for back up parts and i got it for $50.00 New in box. Now the pluses are the awsome speed controler,receiver and the radio is nice. These three pieces alone would cost us like $105.00 if you bought them seperately. Price them and you will see. So if you shop on ebay like I do there is a store in Florida that sells them in the $50.00's. I just bought a back up mini frog for my friend like $74.00 icluding shipping.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:21 PM
DARKWAV

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed the 3 Racing Steering Saver. It really removes a huge, huge, amount of slop from the stock steering setup.

I also did the front rear suspension mount just to see if that would add some strength to the rear, but thean also added the front suspension mount plus the servo hold-down/chassis brace to balance things out. But man the buggy is getting a bit heavy now.

really though out of all these hop-ups the steering saver really stands-out as being a good performance upgrade. the rest really isn't much beyond bling. It does look nice though. I don't thing you would want all that extra stuff on a race vehicle though, maybe just the steering saver.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.